Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2001 12:17:40 AM EDT
For M1A owners: Can the flash hider be removed from the barrel? Is it hard to remove and put back?

For Californians: Can I still buy a Preban M1A from an out of state private party and have him remove the flash hider before shipping so it will not be covered under SB23?

Has anyone here done it?

Will the Cali muzzle brake fit the Pre-ban M1A's?

And will it be hard to find an FFL dealer in the L.A. area that will be willing to do it?

Any suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks,

ASR
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I think everything you ask can be accommodated. I don't see why you'll have trouble finding an FFL as well. You can order the CA brake from Springfield or elsewhere and install it yourself or have a gunsmith do it. I don't think it's a major deal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Entreprise Arms will do the transfer and has a few brakes to choose from.
Didya see the next Web Shooters meet?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Entreprise Arms will do the transfer and has a few brakes to choose from.
Didya see the next Web Shooters meet?

Yeah, I saw it and got all the emails. Will talk to you Sunday at the IPSC match.

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a screw under the front sight that you can remove with a hex wrench, then turn the flash suppressor nut to remove the suppressor.  If the nut is too tight, you'd need a special plier to loosen it (tips fit into notches on the nut).  However, the front sight is attached to the suppressor, so you'd need another one for the new muzzle break, have it installed and sighted in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There's a screw under the front sight that you can remove with a hex wrench, then turn the flash suppressor nut to remove the suppressor.  If the nut is too tight, you'd need a special plier to loosen it (tips fit into notches on the nut).  However, the front sight is attached to the suppressor, so you'd need another one for the new muzzle break, have it installed and sighted in.

The Set screw to lock the castle nut is in front of(towards the muzzle) and at the base of the front sight. The front sight can be removed by loosening another set screw at the base of the front sight at on the breech side. No need to get a new front sight. It's dove tailed onto the suppressor and held in place by the set screw.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Californa-legal M1As are actively being sold in CA.  (I bought mine - composite/fiber stock, std chrome-lined barrel) last year at Jackson Arms in South San Francisco.)  Ron took the FH off and swapped in a muzzle brake.

They prob ship muzzle-braked rifles now to CA so no worries.

And you'll be restricted to 10-rd magazines (unless you bought mags before the hicap Kalif ban set in, like I did - bought mags even for guns I don't have ;-).

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Set screw to lock the castle nut is in front of(towards the muzzle) and at the base of the front sight. The front sight can be removed by loosening another set screw at the base of the front sight at on the breech side. No need to get a new front sight. It's dove tailed onto the suppressor and held in place by the set screw.

I thought the front sight was held in place by friction.  I stand corrected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top