Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 11:11:32 AM EDT
Warning: This is NOT, I repeat, NOT a "AK vs. AR" thread.  Please go somewhere else for that.

I've got a SAR-1, bought it for $320, professionally refinished (parkerized) it + 4 mags for $125, new Cobra sight for $120.  Refinished the wood stock, added a rubber extender.  So I've spent almost $600 when you count the mags.

It looks very cool and bad.  Its fun to shoot for my sons and others that try it, but its so inaccurate that I personally don't find it very fun.  You can't predictably hit a soda can at 50 yards with it, so its not real fun for plinking, for me anyway.  I bet it wouldn't do better than 5" at 100 yards from a rest.  Only accurate guns are truly fun.

I HATE selling my guns, because I never get back what I put into it.  I bet I couldn't get more than $400 for it as is!  Now the rear stock is wobbly, and I'll hafta put a lot of work into fixing it.

My sons would raise a stink if I sold it, and I know I'd take a bath on it.  I might also just keep it in the trunk for survivalist fantasies.

So what do you think of these options:
  • Don't bother fixing the stock.  Keep it as-is.
  • Spend a week messing around with epoxy and a dremmel and fix the wood stock, don't spend more money on it.
  • Get a K-VAR plastic stock ($90).
  • Sell it at a loss and get a VEPRII and I'll be a lot broker.
  • Cut my losses, sell it, live with the regret and recrimination of my shooting buddies (sons).  And prolly buy another AR.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
5" at 100 meters is right on spec for these rifles I'm sorry to say -- actually glad to say as they've been shot at me many, many times with no Purple Heart .

Stock shouldn't be $90, where you looking for parts?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The K-VAR US-made black polymer stock (the only one I'd consider) is around for $85 + shipping.  Can't seem to browse one up right now, but this is the price I've seen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bulgarian stock set in black plastic I could part with make offer.I'd also keep the AK in the safe for a while because soon they will most likely be dried up and the price should rise making you a profit.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just keep it unless you really need the cash because you will always regret selling it.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep it.  If your sons enjoy shooting it, isn't that all that matters?  

You will likely never get most of your money back out of it anyway.  Maybe $400 if you're lucky.

If you're set on tinkering with it, try to figure out why the accuracy sucks.  Is it the ammo? Crown damaged?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
i'd look into the ammo too. you should be able to at least hit a soda can at 50 yards consistantly.

recheck your Kobra sight for proper fit and lock on your side rail.

take a look at your trigger, when it was refinished does it feel different? altered tolerance or trigger pull?

was the Bolt carrier and Bolt refinshed? this might mess with tolerances. particularly the Bolt.

examine both the Gas tube and the areas on barrel and receiver that seat the gas tube. make sure there is no "trash".

i had an AK refinshed once and although pretty clean, there were some excess chemical "stuff". i dont know if it was from the bath or what in some parts. i just simply wiped it off with a cloth.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
You could dangle it over at gunbroker.com-make sure you use a RESERVE. See what kind of offers you get. Most people are saying they are having trouble finding an SAR-1. Absolutely NO reason to lose money on it right now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You should save it for your "bump" gun.
Save your other AK's for target shooting.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]
option#6 Send it to me right away. With that loose stock and being so inaccurate we wouldn't want the kids to get hurt.So box it up and send it to me for proper disposal. I'm going to get an AK-I'm going to get an AK!
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I just needed to put this out in the open and get it mentally resolved.  You guys have helped.  

I'll keep it, fiddle with the stock to make it right.  I still am reluctant to put any more $$$ into it.  But it'll definitely go into the trunk for impending North Carolina al Qaeda shoot-outs.  

The trigger comments are interesting.  When I refinished it, I polished the surfaces between the seer/hook and the hammer.  The result is that the rifle is TOO TWITCHY.  The trigger pull is light, and it goes boom by just thinking about it.  Tends to make for poor offhand shooting (which is most of what I like to do.)

Guess I'll just hafta put another 300-500 rounds through it to get it worked out.  

Okay, I feel better now.  I'll drift over to the AK side and follow-up on that trigger business....

Keep yer powder dry!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep it!
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not getting an AK [>Q] I'm not getting an AK!
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Welp, I fixed the stock.  A little epoxy, a dremel, and careful analysis did wonders.  Its much better than new. I was able to snug the stock into the receiver so that those ugly gaps are gone, and now its rock solid.

So Natasha has taken up residence in a case in my trunk.

Thanks for all the advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top