Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 2:32:38 AM EDT
I am considering purchasing either a Bushmaster or Wilson AR type rifle. I currently own a pre ban Colt AR-15 which I enjoy, but am looking for more accuracy in a little tighter gun.  I have handled a Bushmaster and it had a great trigger and feel. I have several Wilson 1911's and really like them.

I want a 18 or 20" fluted barrel in a flat top gun.

Any preferences or suggestions here? I will appreciate any info, advice, or opinions that may be forthcoming.

Thanks,

Frank
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess you know about the price difference.
I would dearly love a Wilson AR in my safe but my Bushy will do everything that Wilson will do, in fact I can buy 2 Bushy`s for the price of one Wilson.
If benchrest comps is your thing maybe the tighter tolerances will come into play on the Wilson, but a 16" Bushmaster is suprisingly accurate. Plenty accurate for any Combat sitz, which is what Wilson prides itself.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you already own a Colt and that you look for accuracy, get the Wilson. Yes, it is expensive.  But if you don't want to spend the money, go with what Rich314 said.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#3]
wilson?!  don't they make shoes? =)
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Any special accuracy from the Wilson is strictly conjecture.  Wilson is a very newcomer to this rifle, but since they're modulay, ANYONE can build them.

18" barrels don't exist other than very special orders.  Not sure why one would want fluting, just get a lightweight barrel.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the opinions. I am not new to rifles, pistols, shotguns, and shooting, but do not know much at all about the current AR's.

Looks like the Bushmaster is a great buy. I can use the difference in price to get a good red dot sight.

Now, I have browsed the sight forum, but can't get a very good idea of what to put on a flat top to be used for informal target shooting and occasionally varmint shooting at a 100 to 200 yards.

More advice desparately needed! EO Tech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, or?

Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Optics run a very wide price spectrum, but if you want what many(including myself) feel is THE best optic for 100-200 yard shooting the Trijicon ACOG NSN is the answer. It aint cheap thats for sure, but absolutely built like a tank and will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone with a lower they like may bebefit from a replacement upper. Compass Lake (CLE), Gunsmoke Ent. or other reputable builders of match grade uppers. For informal 1-2 hundred yrds. DPMS, Armalite, again any reputable builder. I like the two guns in one. Although I like two guns better. My $.02
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Just thought I'd reply to ammend my optics recommendation. The ACOG NSN is a great optic, I definately stand by that. However, it's a very high end combat optic. For the purposes that you described, a more affordable option might be something like the ATNc 3-9x55 LU LIT-RETICLE SCOPE(pictured below). Here's the specs...

Magnification: 3-9
Objective diameter:  55 mm
Mounting: 30 mm Rings
Bullet drop calibers: .223, .308, 30-.06, .270, 7mm Mag, .300 Win mag
Rangefinding: 1000 m
Illuminated reticle: Yes
Length: 332 mm
Eye relief:  90 mm
Power source:  3v (CR2432) included
Battery life: 100 hours
Sun shade: Yes (40 mm)
Recomended use: Ver
Adjustment: windage and elevation at 100 yds 1click=1/8 MOA

Description:

Versatility is the name of the game. Our 3-9x55 can be used for long, medium, or short range shooting.
Superior optics and a large 55mm objective lens provide you with one of the brightest scopes made.
The interchangeable cams for the BDC lets you go after Big game with rifles using .300 Win Magnum or 7mm Magnums cartridges, as well as varmint rifles with .223 or .270 caliber's, while the .223, .30-06 or the venerable .308 can be relied upon in the tactical environment.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Save you'r money and go with a Bushy V-MAX in 20-24 inch with flutes the barrel is floated and you can beat the price or the accuracy you could even have them install a match trigger all for around 900-1000.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. I brought home a Bushmaster Varminter today. No waiting period for CWP holders in FL. It is a flat top with 24" free floated barrel. Very nice trigger and great review.  Seriously considered the Trijicon optics, but have a Leupold Vari X III in my gun safe that I just mounted on the rifle. Maybe later I can spring for the more exotic sights. Hope to be able to shoot it this weekend. I'm sure that it will be a great target and plinking gun, and I can keep my old Colt as is.

One note. This is a new gun from a very reputable dealer that I deal with a lot, but the bore was really dirty. I expected to clean out some oil or a little powder residue, but it was really black. A fair amount of copper fouling also. Don't know how many rounds they put through them at the factory, but seems as if they could clean them before shipping.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Where in FL did you buy your Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]
M4,

I purchased this one from Pantera Guns in Miami. They are near the airport. Very nice folks, but sometimes a little higher priced than internet prices. They are a small store but will deal and are reasonable. He had a M-4 Carbine in stock yesterday and may have one more 24" Varminter.

(305) 629-9980

Sean is the owner

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Another Vote for the Bushy, AND an ACOG!

and thanks to seamusmcoi for showing me the light!

The optical clarity of the ACOG is the BEST I've ever seen!
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I was able to shoot my Bushmaster Varminter this weekend and am very happy with it.  I only had some Winchester FMJ and some Federal Gold Match ammo, but the gun was totally realiable, very accurate - about 1" at 100 yards off a not too stable bench.

Now I'm saving for the Trijicon ACOG.  Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. I think I'm going to like the AR scene.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the Wilson.

If you decide not to get the Wilson I have a pre-ban Eagle/ArmaLite highly accurized.  Drop me an email.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top