Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 5:46:16 PM EDT
I've seen posts arguing what is better AR15s vs AK47s or AR15s vs Mini-14s. But how about Mini-14s or Mini-30s vs AK47s?

Neither the Mini-14 or AK is known for great accuracy. Both have receiver/bolt designs that don't jam up as easily as an AR when getting too dirty. The Mini-30 using the same 7.62x39 ammo as the AK.

Put a handgrip stock on the Mini-14 or Mini-30 and compare it to an AK. What would you choose and why?

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Pistol grips on rifles are evil and a waste of time. They are only designed for baby killing weapons of war and we good subjects have no right in owning such pure evil.

I've been in California far too long!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My Mini-14 weighs about half as much as my 56S, I enjoy them both though.

I have never shot a Mini-30 or AK47 so I wont comment on them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pistol grips on rifles are evil and a waste of time. They are only designed for baby killing weapons of war and we good subjects have no right in owning such pure evil.

I've been in California far too long!

Rifles have pistol grips? Really? Damn, I'VE been in CA for too long.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
1. its easier to get parts and work done on an AK.
2. its easier to get cheap reliable mags for an AK.
3. AK's look better
4. Kobra sites are spiffy

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
1. its easier to get parts and work done on an AK.
2. its easier to get cheap reliable mags for an AK.
3. AK's look better
4. Kobra sites are spiffy

I'd also like top add:
1) AKs are MUCH more reliable

2) AKs are MUCH more durable, it IS a military weapon after all.

3) AKs are MUCH easier to field strip

I've seen decent shooting AKs too, so accuracy isn't always as big an issue.

There are only 2 things going for the Mini-14: Its light weight and it looks 'Politically Correct'.  Sights are a slight improvement over the AK, but not by much (considering how poorly they are made and how unprotected they are).

If you live in CA you are stuck with the Mini-30.  For the rest of us I'd recommend an AK (or even SKS) if you want a rifle in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 4:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought this was a no brainer.
The AK is as reliable as a bolt gun.
I`ve seen mini`s lose parts, screws come out, optic mounting probs, etc...
AK`s flat out run. I think some out of the box AK`s are more accurate than the out of the box Mini`s.
Plus magazines are way cheaper and easily found.
Mini`s only like Ruger mags, which old Bill was non too fond of making, (hicaps, that is)
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll take an AK anyday over a mini.  just can't argue w/the ruggedness & simplicity of the gun.  it's dummy-proof.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
If there was any chance I'd have to pick from a AK-47/74 or the MINI14/30.to defend myself or others,or for that matter just plan old fun I'd sleep easy knowing I hade a Kalashnikov in the safe.The accuracy is about on par the AK-74 may come out in tne lead by a hair.Mags are easy to come by and they cost no where near 40-60 dollars for a good one as does the MINI.What would you rather have in a balls to the wall rifle some thing thats going to work all the time no matter how many time you forget to clean it or baby it or some thing that needs to be babyed crosing the street.Not the first thing to catch you'r eye in the looks department.but hay did you ever get a second look at you'r first....
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Let's not forget the price of magazines.  Just on that point AK all the way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Of all the 7.62x39's, the AK is probably the most reliable. The SKS (Soviet version) almost as reliable, is considerably more accurate. The Mini-30 is a POS! I've had the AK, SKS, Mini-30, & a Rashid. The Rashid was the best of the lot, accuracy wise AND reliability wise. Also the Rashid was the most fun gun of them all.
IMO, the best military style .30 cal rifles are the FAL, with the AR10 somewhere close.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want to sell me your AR cause it will "jam up when it gets too dirty" I will take it. Just what kind of dirt are you throwing in your AR? ROCKS?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top