Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 2:49:08 PM EDT
If I have rounds in my magazine, shoot or rack the slide and then drop the mag out,  the rifle will still have one round left in the chamber.

If I rack the slide again (without the mag inserted) the round will not eject.   I have to put an empty mag back in to get the last round in the chamber to eject.

Is this the way its supposed to work?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a match barrel?  The chambers can be tight on some of them.  Mine doesn't eject manually sometimes.  Needs to be fired to eject.  The factory bbl should let you eject by racking the bolt.  If it won't, check your extractor.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a stock rifle, no aftermarket changes or parts.

So, it sounds like it is defective, no ?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
could be.  Check your extractor.  If it's not sharp, or is extremely gunked up, it could cause what you're seeing.  The chamber may also be tight.  I never fired mine with the factory bbl, so I don't know for sure.  Try giving the boltface and extractor a good cleaning and use a qtip to swab out the chamber and see what it does.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
You have a problem with your extractor ,I just tried my new 10/22 and it ejects everytime with no mag.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
damn,  i just got it too.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
look in your gun from bottom you should see a little fingure that the bullet will hit to cause bullet to eject, make sure it didn,t breakoff .it will line up with mag lip .the part number is b-8 if you have your owner manaul.the gun should work flawlessly with mag in place as it will work as the ejector,only need eject arms to clear last round if mag not installed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly, my 10/22 makes these little "pop-pop-pop" noises, and then there's smoke. Sometimes there are little holes in things, or busted beer bottles.

I dunno WHAT the deal is with that... h.gif

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mostly, my 10/22 makes these little "pop-pop-pop" noises, and then there's smoke. Sometimes there are little holes in things, or busted beer bottles.

I dunno WHAT the deal is with that...

Mine does tend to do the same thing, but usually with just holes in some paper posted on some carboard thingie a ways away, or puts holes in tin cans.  Funny.  Should it do that?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys get holes? I been robbed! Mine just gets hole! Its about the size of a pencil eraser and right in the center. Is my gun defective? It ejects ok.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely not a good thing if your rifle doesn't eject.
I wouldn't shhot or load it again until I got it fixed. Call Ruger and you can either ship it back to them ( you may eat shipping-aske first), or they will send you a new part if you want. That is, unless you bought it at an actual gunstore with a gunsmith-but even then you probably will have to DIY.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You guys get holes? I been robbed! Mine just gets hole! Its about the size of a pencil eraser and right in the center. Is my gun defective? It ejects ok.

That means you are shooting high. Check for holes in the houses and cars across the road from your outdoor shooting range.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#12]
THERE MAY BE NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR EXTRACTOR!

On many firearms, there are two things needed to extract the shell completely.  You need an extractor hook to pull the expended brass out of the chamber.  Then you ALSO need some way of propelling the shell out the ejection hole in the receiver.  There are TWO of these parts in a Ruger 10/22.

One of them is attached to the trigger group, and sticks out a bit.  The OTHER one is ON THE MAGAZINE!  When brass is extracted, the first of these two parts it comes into contact with is the small notch on the magazine (which can be seen in the photo below:

Then if the brass edge doesn't hit this, it hits the pointed part sticking out of the top part of the trigger assembly where it will still (assuming all is well) eject from the port.  YRMV.

-inuhbadnayburhood
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
THERE MAY BE NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR EXTRACTOR!

On many firearms, there are two things needed to extract the shell completely.  You need an extractor hook to pull the expended brass out of the chamber.  Then you ALSO need some way of propelling the shell out the ejection hole in the receiver.  There are TWO of these parts in a Ruger 10/22.

One of them is attached to the trigger group, and sticks out a bit.  The OTHER one is ON THE MAGAZINE!  When brass is extracted, the first of these two parts it comes into contact with is the small notch on the magazine (which can be seen in the photo below:

-inuhbadnayburhood

The ejector is not on the freakin magazine!  Take your trigger group out of your action, and flip it upside down.  That little deal that swings free is the ejector.  It has NOTHING to do with the unfired or fired round being pulled from the chamber or not.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried some different types of ammo.  It seems that the CCI Stinger ammo is not ejecting because the ejector hook cannot get a good grip on the flange of the casing.  The CCI brass flange is rounded a bit and doesn't have a good sharp edge that the hook can grab on to.

Winchester ammo ejects without a problem with or without the mag.

Wondering if there's anyway to get that shell out of there easier.  

I'm now going to clean the chamber and see if it is indeed a tightness problem.  I can get the CCI casing out with my finger, but I have to pick at it until it works it way out.  Seems that it might also be a little tight.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#15]
How much have you shot it? Meaning, it may just need a good cleaning.

Both of my 10/22's, one dead stock and one custom, manually eject just fine when freshly cleaned. But will not when they are even a bit cruddy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If I have rounds in my magazine, shoot or rack the slide and then drop the mag out,  the rifle will still have one round left in the chamber.

If I rack the slide again (without the mag inserted) the round will not eject.   I have to put an empty mag back in to get the last round in the chamber to eject.

Is this the way its supposed to work?

Is your gun relatively new?  Your gun is not operating properly.  Call Ruger in Newport, NH - they will tell you to ship them your gun.  They will have it repaired and back to you in a week.  Best customer service in the business, bar none.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't find anything in the manual about the mag being the extractor, but-
I thought we were talking about extraction WITHOUT a mag in the gun.
So,
1. Clean the rifle very well, especially the chamber, bolt face and the extractor- use a toothbrush and Q-Tips.
2. If that doesn't solve it, you either
(a)call Ruger and ship it back to them.
(b)diagnose the problem yourself, then call Ruger and ask them for whatever parts you need.
(c) take it to a local gunsmith and pay him to fix a relatively simple problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top