Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2001 11:07:32 AM EDT
  I'm sure this topic has been tossed around quite a bit, but I have a few carry pistols that I am seriously considering for CCW use. Any opinions on the following would be helpful:

Glock 30/36
Kimber Ultra Ten II
S&W 945 Compact (used, but one hell of a weapon)

Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I like draw and shoot weapons for CCW, specifically hammerless revolvers and Glocks.

My service pistol is a Glock 19. My Back-up weapon is a Glock 26. My off-duty gun is a SW442.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are willing to use 9mm, then the gun with the best combination of quick deploy, safety, accuracy, and reliability, is the Heckler and Koch P7 series. For CCW, the M8 may be the best choice due to size.

The minor downsides are weight (all STEEL). I know this gun is not on your list, but I think anyone with CCW should at least consider the P7. I know its expensive, but when you want the best, you have to pay for it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
There's not much difference in the tactical aspects of the weapons you described. They are pretty much tactically equivalent. The Smith might be a little harder to conceal. Go with the one you feel the most confidence with. I personally don't think there is much reason to go with the Glock 36 over the 30. You're not loosing much, except 4 rounds. I personally would prefer the 1911. Many are not comfortable with cocked and locked. Is there any reason why you can't use all 3 or are you limited by state law?
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Para-Ordnance P12-45. 13 rounds of 45 acp in a pistol that hides fairly well,and can almost be controlled in rapid fire.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my Beretta 92M Custom Carry 2 stainless.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmm....lets see.....

A compact HK....

A compact SIG...

I personally carry a Sig Sauer 228 with trijicons.

We can ALL agree that for a concealed carry gun, you want something that is going to work when you need it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
  The reason I am limiting my search to sub compact weapons is that I have a smaller frame and normally am in business casual attire. Neither of these lends particularly well to the concealment of larger framed weapons. I do appreciate the responses.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Of your list I prefer (well, I also carry) the Glock 30.  I have a couple of reasons:

1)  I love the Glock finish.  I really don't give a damn if I scratch, scour, nick or otherwise mar the finish.  But I can't in any case.  

2)  10 rounds of 45 ACP in a small package

3)  It fits my hands.  Most of the compacts I have trouble hitting water from a boat.  The Glock 30 just fits and I hit my target naturally.

4)  It always works.  

5)  Simplicity.  No chance in an excited moment I will forget a safety, etc (I know, training - I do and still it could happen)

6)  Fairly lightweight.

I am not a Glock bigot BTW.  For competition or funsies I prefer the 1911.  The Glock just seems ideal for carry for me.

James
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I own quite a few "CCW" weapons, like the Glock 30, SIG P245, Colt Commander, etc., but these require strapping on a holster, something that isn't always practical.

My vote is for the S&W Airweight (or similar-sized, light revolver) in a pocket holster.  It's light and small enough that you can always have it with you, and it can be slipped into and out of a pocket without bystanders realizing what it is.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a Glock 27 everyday. I like it because of it's small size, but it still packs a punch. I have the Pearce grip extension, which makes it easier to control and adds one round, making a 10-round mag. I carry it in a Fobus paddle holster, and I have a mag holster on my other hip to balance things out a tad. IMHO, it makes for a pretty damn good setup. The gun is small enough to conceal under t-shirts, etc., but is a big enough caliber to do the job when needed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Which of the bunch do you prefer to shoot when you go to the range? Each of the three would serve you well in most situations, but it seems to me that the one to carry is the one you're most confident in and most accurate with---all while being able to conceal it well!

I've never been comfortable with carrying a SA auto in Condition 1 (flame away), and I dislike S&W's mag safety, so for me the Glock has it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
No reason to flame away,squibload.I mean geez,its your leg(or some other part) the damn thing is pointed at,that kinda makes it your call doesn't it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Give Khar arms a look.
ARH
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless I was actually expecting trouble, I would go with a S&W type 5-shot DA .38 revolver. Small, simple and safe.

Though those little bitty size Glocks look interesting, too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry a Glock 30 Daily.   I'm a small guy. 5-8  155.  
I wear an inside the pants  holster mostly, sometimes a fobus paddle. I used to carry a colt officers model cocked and locked. Great gun.  It kept rusting daily and putting spots on my dress shirts, glock doesn't. The glock has got to be the ugliest gun I have ever owned.  (Black and Plastic)  Shoots good.   I started shooting IDPA and that really brings out your strengths and weakness. Get night sights.  
I guess the best thing is that it has been as  reliable as my revolver. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you reholster, and don't limp wrist, and do not shoot cast bullets with it.  Other than that; accurate, great round, low maintanence pistol that I would trust with my life.  Buy it and shoot often.  IDPA is a lot of fun.  Not just tin cans and paper plates.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to have to go along with the P-12 one mean little gun 13rounds in a small little package once broken in it feeds anything even homemade wadcutters. Lots of firepower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top