Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2002 4:04:19 AM EDT
Anybody have any experience with this new round?  Is it as good as what I've read in different gun magazines?  

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot about 600 rounds of this new stuff so far.  I really was not interested until I sat with Steve Hornady and discussed the fun he was having with the cartridge.  He had a Volquartsen built up on a Ruger 10-22 Magnum receiver and he was planning on building a Gatling gun chambered for this round.

I have shot a number of animals with it and my conclusion is that it is deadly on smaller species, but not quite enough for coyote.

It is without a doubt the best turtle rifle of all times!  Blows rabbits up pretty good and will kill an Armadillo very quickly.  However, stray dogs and coyotes run a bit.

It is an inherently accurate cartridge and a great deal of fun to use.  I really like it and will continue to use it within the parameters set forth above.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it as good or better than the .22 magnum?

Let me know if you ever experiment on a prairie dog...

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was mostly for competition use like benchrest, etc...
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
it's the same case as the 22 mag.... so why not just keep shooting the 22? Will definately have more energy, which means more stopping power. Only advantage I can see of the 17 is just flatter shooting. Got enough calibers to keep up with now anyways, lol. Happy shooting!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some discussions on the 17 HMR round over here: www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The 17hrm is fun, fun, fun. zero recoil. instant hits at 100yards and crosshairs still on the job.
I bought a marlin because of good service from them in the past and had a local smith 'repair' the trigger. it shoots moa off a bag and off the bipod it will shoot same poa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top