Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2001 6:29:02 AM EDT
I want to participate in a Turkey shoot next Sat.  I haven't ever competed in something like this be for, so I could use some help choosing a gun to  compete with. I'm not the greatest shot in the world.   I don't expect to win, but I hope to be competitive.  

The rules are pretty standard;5 shots for $2.50, 50yds, off-hand, any sights, .22mag or larger caliber, no shotguns.

The guns I own, that I thought would be best for me are:
--20" Hbar w/NM sights, but stock trigger, and no float tube.  Off a bench, this holds 3/4" groups at 100yds.
--03-A3 Springfield.  Also holds 3/4" groups at 100yds.  Nice trigger, very consistent.  
--Rem 700 classic in .22-.250.  24" barrel, 20oz trigger,  6X24 scope with AO, target dot, 1/8" clicks.  Shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds off a bench.  Off-hand, kind of heavy with bi-pod and large scope.

I own many other rifles that will also qualify, but these are kind of my favorites, and my most accurate.  I don't own a .22mag yet, except for handguns, and .223 is the smallest centerfire caliber I own in a rifle.  I suppose if the scope will be that much more of an advantage, I could use a Rem 700classic in .270 with a 22" barrel and 4X scope.  But, it's kind of boring to me.  Do you guys think the scope will be that much of an advantage at 50yds?   Thanks for your suggestions
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't pick out one of YOUR own guns for a specific use?

Maybe you need less guns and more training!
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You can't pick out one of YOUR own guns for a specific use?

Maybe you need less guns and more training!

Ouch!  Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.  Nice cut down BillD, do you feel better now?  And, yes, billy, I can, but I thought it might be interesting to see what the minds of AR15.com had to say.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I am not too sure how your turkey shoots are there but here its 3 shots at a half life size deer target possible score is 15. For scoped rifle it has to be a sporter with a scope set less than 6x at 100 yards standing. or for open site or pistol its 50 yards standing.  We cant use heavy barrels which is a bummer because I could shoot my PSS offhand alot better than my model 7, My AR I put 4 1/2 pounds of lead in to make it heavier for shooting high power.

But to anser your question, I would use whatever you can shoot off hand the best.

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#5]
At the Turkey shoots I've been to, there are4 different events.

Swinging Ham-- shoot a string with a weight on the end of it from 20 yds.  (hit the damn string 3 times with a .45 Super, but it wouldn't break)

Turkey Heads-- shoot ceramic turkey heads at 50 and 100 yds.  They 50 yd must be from a pistol or iron sighted rifle.  This must be done from standing.  Not very easy as the heads are only about 3in across (I won with a A-bolt .243)

Running deer--  A deer with a target on is is moving about 5mph 100yds away.  You have 3 shots.  Highest score out of 20 ppl wins. (I won this one with a Win 6mm that I borrowed...wasn't used to the scope being so close and got a massive gash over my eye...but I won!)

So, it all depends on the rules.  Can you lay prone?  Or do you have to stand.  Is your rifle so heavy that you can't shoulder it accurately very long?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my best tip:

If the turkey shoot uses the poker card target, all the cards are in the same place on each target! Get a look at the target, and locate the highest density of high-value cards. That is, the location of 4 cards with the highest value.

Remember where those cards are. Then aim for that spot. 50 ain't too hard.

In my last turkey shoot, I managed to put 3 rounds on the same card!! While in the rules this is only considered 1 card, it showed me that I was aiming for the right spot! I also got two adjacent cards, including an Ace. This was plenty for me to win.

You can still get beat by someone who gets lucky, but this way you give yourself a tactical advantage. It may or may not be fair to look at the targets before hand, so ask before you look.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Pick the one you shoot the most for the $erious work.

I have to second Cockedandlocked- at $2.50 a string...betcha can't shoot just one! Take a couple of toys with you. Don't find yourself in the "I wish I woulda brought my..(fill in pet gun here)" pickle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top