Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2001 7:42:18 AM EDT
I in no way mean to slander or demean persons or companies mentioned in this post, but have a few questions for others in ARland. Who has had work done or any dealings with Kurt's Kustoms in Fl. After a few Emails regarding having some work done to an AR lower receiver, I shipped it to Kurt's. They/he stated the turn around time for such work was about 2 weeks. My lower was received there on Oct. 16th (FedEx, signature confirmed). It is now Dec. 1st, and I have not had the receiver returned yet (almost 7 weeks!). Emailed Kurt's this week and did not get a reply back. I understand delays, Thanksgiving holiday, ect., but 5 weeks past the approx. timeframe seems a bit excessive to me. Again, I do not want to slander or motherf**k anybody in any way, shape, or form, but would like to know if anyone else has had this problem before. As a side note: have never had work done to any of my firearms. Is this to be expected with any gun shop? If you read this Kurt, I don't mean to misrepresent you or your company but 7 weeks to do a job that you said would take 2 weeks has me a little irked. Call me an asshole if you will, but have had no updates or Emails as to the progress of the work requested.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I had Kurt shorten a barrel for me earlier this year.  The workmanship was top notch and the barrel shoots like a house a'fire.  He quoted a 2 week job and it took over two months to get it back.  I have no complaints over the "delay" in returning the finished article.  Kurt is a custom gunsmith who evidently allows customers to visit in his shop.  It also appears that he is very busy.  

You can't rush a craftsman and, based on extensive experience with other custom gunsmiths, the word "week" should be interpreted to mean "A time period 30 days long."
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a rifle that's still there from "M17 week," which was over a while ago, so I understand not wanting to wait, BUT ...

1) If you read up on posts before you sent you would have seen that people LOVE his work but commonly have to wait a long time to see it (I knew this going in); and

2) You can get "off the rack" fast, but custom work takes time.  

That's just part of the deal.  I don't think it is a secret on this board.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I read many posts GLOCK, that is why I chose to go with Kurt's. Almost every post was on their knees praising his work. Like I stated in my first post, I am in no way trying to f**k this guy, his work, or his business practices. I just never sent a firearm out and am a little aprehensive about not having my baby in her comfy safe. If there are others out there who swear by Kurt's work then I will take their word on it. If I offended anybody (Kurt) I apologize and again say I am not trying to do any harm or give anyone a wrong impression!!! Didn't realize that or think about the details that are involved in custom work!!! Thanks for any input anybody has or is going to add.

slapnuts
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If it makes you feel any better,  I am going on 11 weeks wait with KKF.

I anxiously await my KKF work of art, but slightly resent the massive understatement in terms of the time estimation (3-4 weeks).

I understand that Kurt is dealing with Diabetes and some family issues, which I totally respect.  Knowing this, I feel bad about bitching about it, but jeez.....
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought he posted something about helping his mother out recently, so he wouldn't be able to work regular hours or days.

I've never ordered from him, but he does seem to do good work at a decent price, with good customer service. He also seems very familiar with all the wierd laws about modifying weapons.

I'm not making excuses but I think it may be a situations that he has legitimatley more important things to attend to.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Did not know Kurt was dealing with health and family issues. In that case I apologize fully for seeming to be a dick. Health & family come before anything else!! Sorry Kurt, I hope you and your family are doing well!
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quality craftsmen stay busy for a reason. The others don't. Be patient.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I will certainly vouch for Kurt and his work.

He did a number of modifications to my M17S, including manufacturing a brand new large part out of aluminium!  I cannot think of anyone that would even have been able (much less willing) to do everything Kurt did.  He truly is a craftsman, not just a gunsmith.

I will not tell you how long it took (but it was a while), but I do not blame Kurt at all.  I specifically told him that I was in no hurry when I originally sent it to him, and given the huge amount of work he has, and family and health issues, I was happy to wait.  (Of course I pestered him a little, but tried not to be too impatient).

I agree with everyone else.  Kurt does FANTASTIC work that is second to none!!  The wait is the inevitable price that must be paid.

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]
nobody wants to eat at an empty restaurant
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Kurt has been doing a custom project for me, with most of the parts being made from scratch.  I knew it would take a LONG time going in, and I am perfectly content with the progress that has been made.

I had a need, and he is filling it.  I am confident in the work, and have handled the prototype, and fired it.  There are bugs, since there are plenty of engineering problems that you can't foresee until you actually try to get it to work.

Suffice it to say that my rifle has been at Kurt's the longest of ANYBODY'S, Kurt and I are still good friends, and I'm happier having him as a friend on my side than having a rifle in my safe.  When it's done, it's done, and I know I'll be able to defend my life, and the lives of my clients with it, should I ever go back into executive protection.  It will WORK, and that's what I want.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Kurt is one of the good guys.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys!! Didn't mean to bitch but after reading some of your repleys I feel like an ass. If so many of you speak this highly of Kurt and his work I guess I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait.

Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top