Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 11:56:56 AM EDT
I just finished reading the M1A/M14 love fest, and was taken with one of Lew's comments about shooting and reading the wind. This brought to mind a shooting experience from this summer. Pickupdan and myself were shooting offhand and kneeling at ~200 yds at full size torso targets. There was a pretty stiff (20-30 mph+) crosswind.

Pickup started out with an HK91, I was using my M4gery. I was aiming center of mass, and ended up with a nice group-centered about 8-10 inches left! The .308 was nicely centered.

Doping the wind is a luxury if you have the time, but I wonder how many grunts think of windage adjustment for "X" mph of wind speed. It just goes to show that (A) I have a lot to learn, and (B), the .223 is more susceptible to wind drift. No surprise there.

Both cartridges are great, but both have their limitations. That's as good a reasaon as any to have BOTH!

I'm just getting into long range shooting. That is a serious problem in central NY, as most clubs have, at most, 100 yd ranges. One of my new shooting friends has access to a private 1,000 yd range, and has extended an invitation. I can't wait!

Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, 55gr .223 does use more wind than 150gr .308. BUT, when you get into competitive shooting, you can use bullets in the .223 that put the .308 to shame.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Covered in Appendix F http://old.ar15.com/books/FM23-9.pdf

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The main reason that the .223 is competetive with the .308 is the 75-80 grain .223 bullets that drift no more that a 168 -180 grain .308 when fired and the usual velocities that each cartridge is able to develop safely.  Its all ballistic coefficient, man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top