Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2001 10:32:08 AM EDT
I don't know too much about guns so maybe someone in here can help me out. I am looking to buy a gun for self defense well maybe a little bit more than that. I want a weapon that will take a lot of people down fast, something that does a lot of damage. I was looking at the Glock 20 10mm  Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Model and the Remington 870 Marine Magnum.. Are these decent guns, or are there better options out there?

Any advice would be appreciated...

If you get a chance check this website out, it talks about America and what the future America is going to be like..  www.jeffsarchive.com
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are serious, delete this post and ask a reasonable question.

You sound like C Schumer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Jeff, I have heard alot of bad things about the Mini-14. General feeling among many is it is a POS that jams alot.

As for the Glock or 870, both are proven guns. But, they fall into two very different categories.

Not to push it on a Newbie, but for taking out alot of perps fast in close quarters, you might consider a Class 3. Class 3 includes: Short Barreled Rifles, Sawed-Off Shotguns, Machine Guns, Silencers, and AOWs (Assorted Mix Of Less Regulated Short Rifles, Sawed-Off Shotguns, and Novelty Guns Such As Pen, Briefcase, Wallet, and Ring Guns.)

Machine Guns would be best, but a Reg. Rec. M-16 runs $8500+. An M60 runs $15000+. The cheapest are Uzis and MAC-10s. An Uzi SMG can be had for around $3000. MAC-10s are sometimes as low as $1000.

The other choice is an AOW Shotgun. You can get a Factory Pistol Grip Shotgun (Must Have Never Had A Stock) Now, File A Form 1, and wait to receive it back. Then saw off the Barrel to whatever length you feel like. Short Rifles can be good. YOu could go the CAR-15 Route. File A Form 1, then when you get it back approved, add a 7.5" - 11.5" Upper to the lower receiver and voila a legally reg. SBR.

Outside of Class 3, you can get an M4gery with 16" Barrel and a Reflex Sight. This allows quick aquistition of the target. 9mm Tactical Carbines also hold their own. The peep sights are great for drop the Perp at up to 100 Yards quickly. These include Hi-Point 9mms which run $169 - $219, Uzis which vary considerably, and MP-5s which the cheapest to build run $900+.

Pistols are great for Close Encounters where quick firepower is needed. They can be stored loaded unlike most rifles since the hammer can be decocked.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
area88 - Who are these large numbers of people you're thinking you'll have to "take down fast?"
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Please don't feed the .

It sounds to me like what you are soliciting is advice on how to commit a mass murder.  Furthermore, it also sounds like you're some asshole journalist who read some writers' reference on 'evil assault weapons' and is looking for a story on Internet gun nuts.

Well...from me to you - [-!-!-]

QS
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks cc48510, Iam kinda looking for something legal and wont break my bank tho..Machine Guns etc. lol are all fatasy to me..

Citadel.. It was a reasonable question, the only gun I own is a Mossberg Rifle thats over 60 years old, I want to upgrade to something that would be good in a combat situation..
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
If indeed you are not a , you need to learn to phrase your questions better.  Shit like what you spewed is what gives Chucky and Bride-of-Chucky shit to scream about.

QS
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, area88: I really appreciate you posting that link to your Nazi site without identifying it as such. I can't wait to hear from the network gurus here at work after opening that one on the LAN. What a dick. Why don't you just get yourself a K98, a Luger and a bunch of Hitler Youth knives?
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Jarhead, I figured it was something like that...that's why I didn't look at it.  

area, [-!-].

QS
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry if I came off a little strong, I didnt know we had to wear politically correct straight jackets in here...NAZI site please  you watch to much Jerry Springer, a lot of people in here might be intrested in what the site as to offer.. Articles on Gun Control  WTC attacks  etc..
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]
area88,

I'm going to assume you are trying to ask a "real" question and really aren't a troll looking to stir up trouble.

My recommendation is to get competent training first before you even think about buying a gun.  
1) During training you will get to shoot some weapons -- thereby increasing your knowledge.

2) If you have a "great" instructor, he will have lots of different weapons that you can "try out".  That way you'll have shot a revolver, a semi-auto, bolt-action rifle, semi-rifle, etc.  Again, grist for the decision mill.

3) Ask your instructor for recommendations.

4) Go to the your local gun stores (be careful here -- they have a vested interest in selling you stuff) and ask questions.

Then, once you settle on a particular firearm, buy it and practice, practice, practice.  You might even consider going for some tactical training like you can get at FrontSight or Thunder Ranch (both highly recommended).

- CD

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah...PC..that really describes this place.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sorry if I came off a little strong, I didnt know we had to wear politically correct straight jackets in here...NAZI site please  you watch to much Jerry Springer, a lot of people in here might be intrested in what the site as to offer.. Articles on Gun Control  WTC attacks  etc..

It's the damned national alliance! Who do you think you're fooling "88"? We're not a bunch of grade-school kids here. Take that Nazi shite on down the road.

This isn't about politically correct and you know it. Your hero Adolf was not a big proponent of the right to keep and bear arms, and political correctness in his day meant toe the line or your ass is in the ovens.

We don't play that sh!t here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't know too much about guns so maybe someone in here can help me out. I am looking to buy a gun for self defense well maybe a little bit more than that. I want a weapon that will take a lot of people down fast, something that does a lot of damage. I was looking at the Glock 20 10mm  Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Model and the Remington 870 Marine Magnum.. Are these decent guns, or are there better options out there?

If you get a chance check this website out, it talks about America and what the future America is going to be like..  www.jeffsarchive.com

Please don't buy a gun.  You'd give us all a bad name mr "I-want-to-kill-as-many-people-as-I-can."  Grow up.

I want to upgrade to something that would be good in a combat situation..

If you're looking for a combat situation, join the marines and you might get to go to afghanistan.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Uhh, area, it is NOT a reasonable question.

It is at best a solicitation for quotes to be taken out of context and used to erode my freedoms, or, at worst, a request for a primer on mass murder.

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Area, go tell whoever you work for that AR15.commers don't like the idea of crimes being comitted.

If you insist on killing people, you will die a horrible death.  If you insist on trying to dredge up dirt on gun owners, you will roast in hell.

We are legal freaks.  Do it legal or not at all, now go back to whatever you were doing before you had that 'bright idea'.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not looking for a gun to commit "mass murder" and Im not looking for one to shoot ground hogs with..I want one for self defense, YES that means it will be used on humans if I have to do that.... If they have guns or there  a lot of them I want to have a combat rifle, gun etc...I dont know why everyone in here is soo pissed off about that...All I wanted to know was if the guns I mentioned were decent..

Food for thought quotes..

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safty deserve neither liberty nor safty" Benjamin Franklin  1759

"This country, with its institutions, belong to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, the can exercise their 'constitutional' right of amending it or their 'revolutionary' right to dismember or overthrow it" Abraham Lincoln 1861

Our right to bear arms has nothing to do with "Hunting" or "Sport"
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, sure, self defense against a horde of armed attackers.  That sounds not only totally rational but actually likely.

Go to the General Discussion section and do a search on "Alamo fantasy" or "Zulu nation" for a critique on your assessment of the probability that you will be forced to make a last stand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#19]
You stated that you wanted something that would "take a lot of people down fast" and does a lot of damage.  Last guy that called my company and said something like that was quickly introduced to my dial tone.  

Maybe you didn't intend to piss people off on this board, but I would suggest that you chose your words a little more carefully next time if you want reliable feedback to your questions.  

Curt
Olympic Arms
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
area, there is no way you can take on a large number of equally armed persons in the open.

I just checked out your site. At the very least I can say it is extremely disturbing. Yes it does portray neo-nazi views. I see repeated spewage of anti-semitic, anti-zionistic speech on there.

Publishing this kind of crap makes people wonder who these large numbers are. Perhaps a large number of unarmed Jews.

If you truly want a gun for real self-defense then an AR-15 might be a good choice or a derivetave thereof.

area88, whatever you do, please remove the address to your neo-nazi hate site.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I would suggest lurking (not posting) for a while.  Go to the General Firearms Discussion board.  The topics get recycled there every so often.

Good defense gun = Shotgun.  Get one and take a hunters safety course.  Unless you know anything about guns, Do NOT purchase a combat rifle.

Any of the guns you mentioned will do what you need.  Some better than others.  If you can't shoot well, none will.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I hav'nt gone to his sight ,but from others reviews  I can see why he is worried about a group of attackers ,he is probably going around town pissing everybody off and is worried about a linching at his house.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Dude...wtf is this shit!?!?  I shoulda read a little further down before I checked out that link.  I dont think this page is for you 88, why don't you go sell crazy someplace else.
Here's a good link for you:
http://www.psych.org/
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#24]
All I wanted to know was if the guns I mentioned were decent......
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
All I wanted to know was if the guns I mentioned were decent......

If that's all you wanted to do then why did you post a link to a Nazi/Nutso site???  

It makes me sick that you come here to obtain knowledge which might help you to further your sicko goals.

-SS
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#26]
The M1 Garand was very effective at taking out Hitler and the first wave of Nazi's. Hey I know, why not go to a JPFO page and ask your questions? I bet they'd love your website.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#27]
area88, a good online resource is at:
http://www.jpfo.org/askrabbi.htm

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#28]
If you "want to take down a lot of perps fast," play classical music on your ghettoblaster.  Riffraff flee from it like VC from Napalm.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's my thoughts on the questions you asked.
Ruger Mini-14.  I had one, then traded it after buying my AR.  OK accuracy, but nothing great.  Plus, the barrel heated up very quickly and took a long time to cool down.
Remington 870.  Have one, and use it pheasent hunting.  Great gun.  Not one problem with it.  The only thing that I don't like is the stiff action.  Otherwise it's great.
No experiance with the Glock.  Though you may not want to go with a 10mm.  Up where I am, 10mm is hard to find and expensive.  

Hope this helps.

Brad
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Translation: I'm a wannabe neo nazi nut job who wants a big bad gun for ethnic cleansing and if it happens to look like a major self defense case, great!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't go away mad......just go away.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#32]

MP5 Airsoft.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Jeff WTF if you want self defense weapons do me a favor and don't buy any firearms posting a site like that...........I would not want to even have you considered a law abiding gun owner. You will give every one else a bad name. The others are right that nazi BS is for the birds and if you failed history in High school they were a bunch of fanatics who were against personal freedoms and gun ownership. So please grow up and or get off the web site, I am sure your skin headed friends can help you out with your questions.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If you "want to take down a lot of perps fast," play classical music on your ghettoblaster.  Riffraff flee from it like VC from Napalm.
hday.gif

This is true. I used to live near Memphis Tn and the mall played classical full blast by the entrances to keep the punks from loitering. It worked!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top