Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2001 12:04:19 PM EDT
Just read a post about poor QC in the Model 70 WSM, somebody thinks Colt is losing it, and now my old man (a real gun crank if ever one came along) told me he just saw a 700 BDL 30/06 NIB at a raffle his Ruritan club was holding that had an ADL stock (half sapwood, half heartwood) with a floorplate cutout and no grip caps or end caps.  He said Remington has been bought by a British concern?  Say it ain't so...

Shooter
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the company history on their website:

http://www.remington.com/aboutus/corphistory.htm

I just scanned it but it looks like they are owned by an investment company, RACI, which may stand for Remington Acquisition Company Incorporated.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
They are after the money, like any profit driven Corp.They will not even "recall" their 597 22lr mags, even though they make new metal body ones because  ALL  their plastic ones SUCK + BREAK in the same fashion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Remington Firearms is owned by a large investment firm in New York, CD&R.  Clayton, Dublias (sp?) and Rice.  They purchase unwanted divisions of large corporations and try to repackage and finally resell.  Quality has been in question as CDR is being typical "Wall Street" cost cutters...
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Accchhhh.  In the words of John Travolta in the movie 'Michael', "Nothing lasts anymore.."

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
What Quality control?
My brother has a new 700 BDL synthetic in 300 Ultra Mag that the scope base mounting holes on the back of the receiver was drill off center.
We were using Burris signature bases and rings with the inserts in them. To get it to shoot on the paper we had to put 40" of offset into the rings on the back just to get it to the side of the target!
Talk about upsetting! Then we had to pay to ship it back to Remington and we haven't heard back on it yet(about 3 weeks).
I had already bought a 700 LSS in 300 Ultra Mag and have yet to sight it in but the boresighter says it is not to far off.
He went and bought a Ruger M77 laminated stainless in 308 and it seems to be a quality gun.
Especially considering the Ruger is $500 and the Remington is $700.

Maybe it was an isolated case with the screw holes being misaligned.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
From the website that I mentioned above, here is the exact quote on the ownership:

1993  DuPont sells the assets of Remington to RACI Acquisitions, a company organized by the New York investment firm of Clayton, Dubilier and Rice, for approximately $300 million on December 1.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe the reason for the quality control problems is due laying off of their own production people and to too much sub-contracting?
=====================================================
from the www.sturmgewhr.com
www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/general.cgi?read=11009
I have a friend that works in Remington and he tells me that S&W will be doing subcontracting work on mod 700 receivers. The 700 Models affected are all Stainless Steel and their new Carbon Fiber bbl model. Also The company will be getting 870 bolts and actions bars from NORINCO of CHINA!.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a friend that works in Remington and he tells me that S&W will be doing subcontracting work on mod 700 receivers. The 700 Models affected are all Stainless Steel and their new Carbon Fiber bbl model. Also The company will be getting 870 bolts and actions bars from NORINCO of CHINA!.

Screw that.  Oh, Remington, how far has thee fallen.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
JeeZ!

Doesn't anyone make a consistently good product these days???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top