Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2001 9:55:23 AM EDT
I have an opportunity to purchase a slightly used S&W 4006.  What are the pro's and con's of this series of pistol?  Seems like I read in some old posts that they are not popular.  Why or why not?
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy are you gonna hear it on this one.  I usually keep my opinions of S&W pistols to myself because I am in such a minority; however, here goes.  I bought my first New pistol in 1989 on my 21st birthday.  It was a S&W 5906 9mm.  Thousands of rounds later, I have never had a jam(with factory ammo). Never a problem with anything.  It still has good accuracy and personally I like its features.  It seems its popular to slam S&W auto's but few reasons are listed why...  Here today and many pistols later I carry lighter guns than the 5906, but I wouldn't feel undergunned carrying it.  Bottom Line, there are better pistols on the market, but if you have found a good deal on a 4006 snatch it up, I don't believe you will be dissappointed. imho!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a SW 4506 and have been very pleased with it. I did have some jamming problems when I first got it, sent the mags back to the factory and got two new ones. Never a problem since. Produces nice ragged hole groups at combat range. Feeds everything from JHP to snake loads.  Have had it since 1991.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been happy with my 4506.
Not to many extras out there for mine, that might be something to thing about.

SSD
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Limited experience with Smiths. Bought new 4013 that would jam at least once on every mag with both factory mags. Sent back to the factory, they said it met factory specs. Still jammed. Sold at a loss. Have Smith 22A that I really like. Good fit in my hand and totally reliable.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The model 41 kicks ass, possible the best 22 auto out there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my two...I hate S&W autos for several reasons:
1.Large and heavy,I know they make compact models but they way a ton.
2.The quality has gone down hill over the last 10 years.My new(2yrs old)duty  .45 looks like $h*t compared to some of the other guys' second and third generation .45's.
3.Round trigger guards...YUCK,SPIT,GAG,PUKE!For the life of me,I don't know why they went back to making them round.I know it's a non issue if you live out west but here it's a problem.In the winter I don't wear gloves,even thin ones because I can't get my finger in the trigger.
4.LOW MAGAZINE CAPACITY!!I know this may be a non issue for many but for cops I think it's a big deal!Just look at the difference between the 4006 and a Glock22...11 rds vs 15rds.
5.They sold us gun owners out!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
YOU mean CLINTON&WESSON
If it was me and it was a good deal i would buy it,shoot it and if i didnt like it i would resell it.
Thats coming from a s&w collector.
Ok guys stop throwing rocks now,there all old smiths.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a 469 9mm in 1986. It is my most trusted sidearm. Never had any mechanical problems of any kind. Shot it alot over the years and with all different kinds of ammo. Only problem was with related to WOLF ammo.

Since S&W was sold and under new management my local FFL will now order from them again. Time to buy another one!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
As you can tell, some like 'em, some hate 'em.  I have several and they range from one of the most accurate in my collection to piece of S H I T.  

Shoot it before you buy it.  BTW, I just bought another one last weekend myself!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My 4013TSW is on order. I can't get the custom shop Shorty Forty because its not on the stupid State approved list.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a '81 made mdl 59 that functions fine and shoots as good as my Browning.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had almost exactly the same experience as Burned above.  I have a 469, thousands of rounds, no problems, except it didn't like Chinese 9mm.  But then again, who does?

S&W is not my first choice, even politics aside, but my S&W auto experience has been good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 645 I bought new in '86 still have it,shot it a lot, but,I like a 1911 better, the 645 IS rather large,but that's about my only complaint with it, the 1911 fits my hands alot better,to it's credit, the 645 has been very reliable,trigger pull in either DA/orSA isn't bad,I just like the "feel" of a 1911 better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#14]
469 for me too, not single problem, plus nice and compact
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Model 41 and Model 52-2.

Have this problem wanting to shoot them too much.  Won't go away.  Tried.  Again and again.  Gets worse.  Need more.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Smith's autos are a disappointment.  They do better revolvers.  The autos are sort of loose and don't have good grips.  They're overcome by many other autos like the CZ75.  I used the M41 in conventional pistol shooting for many years, but that's only because there's basically nothing else available in this country.  The Ruger isn't serious and the High Standards are pretty much a WWII design too.  It's funny that nobody in this country is building a good-from-the-ground-up .22 target pistol instead of gussied up standard guns.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#17]
SW was plagued by quality control issues in the 80s and early 90s. They will never fully recover from the junk that came out of that piece-meal era. It was quantity over quality for sure.

Their Performance center is top-notch. I know several guys who work there, both in the factory and Performance center. The P-C guns cost a ton but are awesome! Because they reek of workmanship.

Springfield PD was gonna go to Glocks and SW ended up giving away the SW autos to that dept just to make sure the local PD was using thier stuff.

They have put out some awesome stuff and some junk. The trouble is figuring out which is which.
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Just bought a .40 S&W 410 model, for a duty
weapon, so far, no jams, i.e. use quality
ammo, and never had a jam. One thing hat was nice is the price, $400, compare to a Glock
at $700, you can't beat it
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#19]
At $700 that must be an expensive Glock! You could have a nice HK plus plenty of Mags and night sites for less than that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top