Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2001 4:54:03 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these?  How accurate are they, and is that a peep sight on the receiver?
I know ammo is scarce, but they sure do strike my fancy for some reason, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not specefically have the -56, but I own a MAS 49, Syrian contract piece. Very accurate, the unitized trigger group is a joy to clean, (One screw, toss it in a coffee cup full of solvent..)
 The rear peep on the -56 is larger, and more field useable than the earlier MAS 49's, but for pure range work, it suffers..

Disadvantages? Ammo. Good frog 7.5 is very scarce, I do NOT reccomend handloading for the 49, or the 49/56 as they have an annoying tendency to turn full auto with even the hardest U.S. primers..(The firing pin is not sprung, nor is it exactily light..)

You WILL catch crap from the other battle rifle afficianados.. Til you hold nice one inch groups at 250 yards, prone.. (the 49, will do this..)

Supposedly a Portugese company is making very nice 7.5 for U.S. sales.. I have yet to see it personally..

In truth though, unless its REALLY cheap (200.00 with ALL the junk like spare mags, etc..) I would not reccomend it, as you'll get frustrated trying to regularly shoot it..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and really enjoy shooting it I have the sniper scope on it . Very sturdy weapon a little on the heavy side . It came with all the accessories and for the money was a good deal . I have had mine for about 5 years .
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#3]
This rifle is a slumlord in slam fire city, that's fur sure.  Talk about truck axle firing pins.  

Reloading is very practical for it, if you use the CCI milspec primers - the CCI 34 or 41, can't remember which.  Since I switched to these, I haven't experienced a slamfire.

I use 6.5x55 brass and 147 grain bullets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top