Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2001 9:41:46 AM EDT
I was talking to a friend of mine two nights ago, got to talking about guns, and he said he was in the final stages of getting a CCW! I thought that was pretty astounding, considering he's in Southern California. Turns out, though, that he actually is a resident of Ventura County, and the sheriff there apparently isn't blindly rejecting CCW applications, nor is he rubber-stamping every one that comes across his desk. My friend is a writer, by the way, not a jeweler or something, but he figured that as long as getting the permit was a possibility, go for it!
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not impossible in San Diego County or the city of SD either.  People I know with CCWs used justifications like these:

- Been robbed or raped before
- Been threatened repeatedly (and provably)
- Carry cash in course of doing business (e.g. bank deposits for retail store)
- Work as private security guard
- Campaign manager/bodyguard for someone running for public office
- Transport valuable merchandise of any kind in course of doing business (including computer parts)

Many people who are self-employed can find a reason that will pass muster with either the chief of the SDPD or the county sheriff.
Link Posted: 11/28/2001 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm....

Does anybody in Orange County know what sort of justifications have worked with our Sheriff's Department? I know that the department is supposed to be more CCW friendly since Carona took office but it's not a "shall-issue" slam dunk either. I was wondering what justifications have actually passed muster here.

Also, I was wondering as I'm a part-time photographer (weddings, portraits, etc.) and occasionally transport several $K worth of eqpt. And since I work alone (usually), my gear could be made off with by a few enterprising miscreants. I've even had to cut a few sessions short because I was concerned about it. If I requested a CCW permit based on that, would I be limited to the times that I have said eqpt.?Or would I be allowed to carry all the time?

Thanks in advance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top