Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 10:47:10 AM EDT
Don't really know why but I've recently become interested in buying a 1903 A4.  Does anyone know where I may be able to find one of these rifles in good condition?  Any ideas on a price?  Also, was the M84 scope the only one used on this model?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
ques
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Expect to pay from $2500 up to $5000 for a real one.  There is always at least one at the Indy Gun show, and the last one I saw was for $3500, it looked good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
good God!!, I have one that my grandpa gave me!!I figured they would run the same as a M1
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
If it has the offset serial number, correctly marked 03A4, and no front sight, then it is the real deal.  I have seen people try to pawn off 03A3s with scopes on them as A4s, so buyer beware.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks macloud, looks like I'll have to start savin some dough.

Hey VTHOKIESHOOTER, you still here in Blacksburg? If so you should look me up sometime and maybe we can do a little shootin.

ques
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
A correctly marked 03A4 will have the serial number offset and be marked "03A3" (yes "A3") offset as well, so it can be read with the scope mount in place.  It's a completely different marking than on any other Springfield, so it's easy to spot.  I don't know the story of why an A4 says A3, but that's the way it is.  There is no such thing as a 03A4 that will say "A4".

The original scopes used were the M73, then the M81/M82, and then finally the M84.  The M84 was adopted for use on the A4 in early 1945.  It's probably the best scope out of the lot, though frankly they all stink.  I mean 2.2 power and rotten US optics.  Even back then it was a pretty sorry scope.  I had one on a Springfield and it was cool and all, but I replaced it with a commercial scope after the first time I shot it.  

They command a high price, but they are a very nice gun.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks macloud, looks like I'll have to start savin some dough.

Hey VTHOKIESHOOTER, you still here in Blacksburg? If so you should look me up sometime and maybe we can do a little shootin.

ques

Until Wednesday until I leave my bitch of a wife......I am headed to Narrows for a month then I will be back in town.......January seems to be the best time to head to the range after the fall hunting season is over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top