Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2001 9:38:04 AM EDT
Do you have one or know about these?  I heard that they are actually pretty delicate pistols and that even though they are a .357 magnum that they get broken alot due to not being able to withstand the recoil from the .357 round.  

Also heard that the crane that holds the cylinder is prone to being easily damaged.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
They are not designed to keep eating hot .357s indefinitely.  Get a Ruger or an N-frame SW for that.  The Python's lockwork dates back to the 19th Century.  While it is pretty and shoots nice, it doesn't take well to abuse.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Now from the other team.
I have shot the shit out of V75447.
Documented 18,600 357 125 grain magnum loads.
Untold # of loads with 3.8 grains of Bullseye.
It was sent to Colt custom shop at the 800 rd mark to work on the DA.
Never been worked on since and it is still shooting into 3 inches at 50 yards after all these years.
I believe the S&W 586 is the only other mass production gun that Might beat it and it is not as accurate after 5000 rds
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My personal favorite in wheelguns: the 686. Unfortunately I don't own one now, and I can't bring myself to buy one due to the sad saga of S&W. I didn't realize that the Python design was so antiquated. I always thought highly of them.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
ONE of the finest 357`s ever made.....MOST owners don`t shoot them excessively...but the ones that do have nothing but praise.....don`t forget about the model 27 and 28 s&w`s....they will hold up forever.........
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Many people tell tales of Python's being weak, but in all my years of working on them, I have to say I've seen about as many S&W's that needed action work.

Mine have unknown thousands of 125 gr rounds down range, and their still tight.

Colt's rear only lock up also comes in for suspesion, but I've always been a little leery of S&W's vaunted front lock, since it's really nothing but a small diameter tapered pin, with 1/3 of that cut away.

People also deride the "19th Century" Colt action, forgetting that S&W dates from the same decade, also being a "19th Century" design.

In truth, the Python may not be as able to take abuse like other guns, but for sheer accuracy and quality their unbeatable.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not deriding the 19th Century design, just observing it.  It has leaf springs instead of coils.  So do some, but not all, Smiths.  I have a Python and I like it.  I just think it is a bit finicky.  There's nothing necessarily wrong with that.  You wouldn't go offroad in your Ferrari, would ya?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My 1989 F350 has old leaf springs also,
Never a problem and it is only used for towing or hauling some heavy,big stuff.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
While I've gotten away from wheel guns in the last decade, I still own three; S&W Mod 10, my first handgun, a Python and a Anaconda. Bought the Python in 1977, when they were "affordable". Never heard anyone question their durability or reliability. They wre and still are Colts top of the line wheelgun. I do wish I'd kept the S&W Mod 28 I had, but that's gone now. If you can find one (Python) and afford one, buy it. As for Ruger and the 686, they're fine guns, but I told the first lady to put my Python in the box with me when I'm gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top