Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2001 9:12:33 AM EDT
Ok, gunshows in this area typically suck, so I know that going in, however--

The show I went to this morning REALLY sucked.

When I got there this morning there were only like 5 people there who weren't dealers or guys with tables. There were seriously only 35 tables there to begin with and most of those had non-gun related junk. I had two items to sell (both of which I ended up bringing back home), a Winchester model 97 and a GI A1 barreled upper.

I did get to hear some great dealer lines though. For instance, I was informed that my shotgun was illegal because it didn't have a front sight. Never heard that one before.

Also the A1 barrel with a 1 in 12 twist doesn't stabilize the .223, any .223. This is why the military has gone with the 1 in 7.

I found out my upper is only worth $100 cause it's an old A1.

Also my upper is actually an SP1 upper.(even with forward assist, some of the SP1s had it). Colt also used FN marked barrels on some later SP1s.

My shotgun isn't worth more than $125. Granted it is only a beater/shooter, but it is a genuine '97. This is from a dealer who had a SAR3 for $475.

Once again I learned I am an idiot peddling worthless crap. Why do I subject myself to such abuse?

ok, thanks for the chance to vent. I feel much better now.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
No one should ever go to a gun show without first calibrating their bullshit detector, which you obviously did.  Laugh at the fools as they try to take you for a ride.  Either walk away, or call bullshit on them and start knocking the overpriced crap they have on their table.  Amusing, if nothing else.

I'll give you $130 for the shotgun, sight unseen . . .

Hey, come to Phoenix in two weeks, THAT's a real gun show.  A few more than 35 tables and every once in awhile something other than jerky and Beanie Babies.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, gunshows in this area typically suck

Dude, being an Okie I REALLY hope you know about the Wanenamacher shows in Tulsa??

They're 'Only' about 100 times bigger than the one you described. And there's usually TONS of stuff to drool over!

Check it. www.tulsagunshow.com/

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I know all about the big Tulsa shows. They are about the only thing going here. I was refering to the Metcalf and Claude Hall shows. they generally suck ass.

Chairborne_Ranger, thanks but no thanks, $225 is going rate on the shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya, I remember a dealer once who wanted me to trade him my Norinco underfolder and $250 for an Olympic AR-15 with the set screw muzzle break. Actually told me that he only ordered ones with the set screw muzzle breaks because nobody wanted to buy one without it!

To be real honest with you, I don't know why I even bother anymore.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I love gun shows, I made my best trade ever today.

I traded a 4X20 leapers scope for a like new 90% 20 rd colt factory mag.

WOO HOOO!!!  That scope was just taking up space.

Now I have something I can use!

Remember, at gun shows. All parts are genuine milspec, 1st quality stuff.

Come to Texas for a gun show.

WL

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]
at the dallas markethall show today ..i picked up 5 adventure line 30 rndrs for 5.00 apiece..finish is about 50% butthe had green followers and the run great
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Today milspec was out and only commercial stuff was worth anything. Of course the upper I'm selling is completly mil surplus.

I wanted to go to the Market Hall show yesterday, but had too much to do this weekend.

Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I love gunshows,How else would I know that everything I own is worthless junk and everything they have is colectors gold.Even if they have what I've got,mine is junk theirs is gold.I love to walk around a hear all the bull being spread around,I just laugh and go my merry way.BTW even at small shows I have picked up some realy good buys,hang in there.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
445SD, just ribbin' ya on the shotgun.  I *know* that any 1897 that is not residing in the junk yard is worth a bit more than $130.  But the gun show vendors in your neck of the woods apparently don't know that.

Hey I am not going to complain.  I just got a *real* preban CETME, not rebuilt junk with crummy U.S. parts, for $950 with a bunch of mags and a case!  Gun shows rock!  Sometimes . . .
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
"My shotgun isn't worth more than $125. Granted it is only a beater/shooter, but it is a genuine '97. This is from a dealer who had a SAR3 for $475."  LMAO
Went to Orlando show this weekend, supposed to be 'one of the nicer shows' in Central Florida and was mostly disappointed.  It was half the size of the summer one (august I think) and quality of stuff went down.  I did, though, find a good deal on a Rem 700 PSS ($625 private sale NIB), but so many times I walk the aisles and ask myself as well "why do I bother anymore".
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never seen so many perfectly correct garands in my life at gun shows....lol.....that's a crock.!!!!  they lie about em being all original and correct....makes me angry how they rip people off!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#12]
The Market Hall show in Dallas was great! lots and lots of eye-candy (ClassIII) I sold off a bunch of stuff that was laying around and picked up a Model-1 folding stock (new type) for $75, 120rds of .30cal Carbine for $39 and STILL came home with $180 in the pocket.
The only downer was the classic "snooze u looze" I walked past a Knights carbine handguard to price around and came back to a empty spot on the table. <arghhhhh!> but it was a great show. Nothing beats checking out the MG42s and MG34s. Even saw a M249.
good stuff
CB
Edited becaus im polish and cant spell
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]
When you're trying to sell anything at the gun shows around here, prepare to be insulted.  Most folks won't take it off your hands unless you're willing to let it go for 50% of its value.

I also found that it's a whole lot easier to sell a hunting rifle if you have the cheapest scope you own mounted on it.  Don't try to sell good glass with it, it'll never happen.  Most of the yokels around here don't know the difference between Tasco and Leupold anyway.  Plus it provides you a good way to get rid of some crap optics.

I did manage to get a pretty good deal on a customized Colt Commander.  Paid $550 for it.  Pictures at: www.geocities.com/kemays/cmdr.htm

Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I told you so, 455SD. Most aren't worth the price of admission. Try selling something through the newspaper. I think all of the jackasses that you talked with at the gun show must spend their time aggravating people via the classified ads. Example, whenever I sell something in an ad I price it at my absolute bottom dollar so that the ad reads something like:

BRAND X RIFLE/SHOTGUN/HANDGUN
XX INCH BARREL, XX CALIBER/GAUGE
XX CONDITION
$XXX, FIRM. NO TRADES. SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY
XXX-XXXX

In response I get, "Well I'm not really interested in that caliber/gauge/action type," or "I know where I can buy one for $20 less," and my favorite, "I'll call back next week and see if you're willing to take less money."

Okay, open letter to those who're too brain-dead to read a newspaper ad. I don't give a good God-damn what interests you!!! Savvy?!! If you can buy one for less money, then why in holy hell are you even talking with me?!!! The friggin' ad says the price is FIRM and God-damnit, that means firm!!! The element of negotiation has been removed, so don't even bring it up!!!!

Ahhh, now I feel better. Seriously, the only good gun show in Oklahoma anymore is the Wanenmacher show in Tulsa. As for selling anything, I don't even waste my time locally anymore. I can get on the internet and sell an item within a week or so to someone who's actually serious about buying rather than look through my closet and for a fraction of the cost of a local ad.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Heh, heh, heh. I was wondering when you'd show up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top