Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2001 2:29:59 PM EDT
I want a pistol for target practice (9mm).  The pistol should also be useful for other tasks.  I assume that both of these pistols are versatile.

That said, I want something that will fire accurately out of the box.  Again I assume both of these will, but if it were an easy choice I wouldn't be asking for advice would I?

On the one hand I am leaning towards the Hi-Power because it is smaller and more compact.  On the other hand, the CZ-85 seems like it has more safety features.

Any ideas?

-Southern S.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been searching for a nice Belgian HiPower for quite a while (casual seaching) because I wanted a 9mm shooter. In the course of this search I've purchased a CZ-75B which is also a very good shooter. For the $380 I paid for it (NIB, 2 magazines (1 HiCap, 1 10) it was a decent deal. The aftermarket high cap ProMags I got for it from CDNN for $14 work, but stick out of the butt about 1/4"

If I wasn't a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 fan, I'd consider the CZ-75B as an every day carry gun.

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both, a Belgium SA P38 Hi-Power and a CZ.  I have heard that the classic P38 won't feed hollow points even though mine feeds Win. Silvertips etc no problem.  The DA/SA CZ75 series is among best designs today.  Personally if you don't have some type of sentimental attachment to the P38, I would go with the CZ just be it has newer technology and design. To me, the CZ just feels better in the hand. Mags shouldn't be problem, I have Pro-mags for both my P38 & my CZ, each of them functions flawlessly, and are reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice.  I still haven't decided.  I like the way that the BHP looks a little bit better.  I normally carry a Glock, so the small size would be a nice change too.

I'm leaning hard toward BHP.....  Decisions...

Thanks-

SS
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
JMBrowning

edited to spell Browning out for newbies
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]
High Power, and some of those "South African" $20 highcaps from CDNN.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Having owned a CZ-85 for about a year now,I can honestly say it's an excellent handgun,only problems I've had with it were with my reloads,(not quite enough crimp) once I corrected that,NO problems It'll feed anything I put in it,very reilable, quality is excellent,Trigger pulls are now very good, mine was a little gritty at first, but seemed to smooth out the more I fired it, I've got the polymer finish on mine, is supposed to be like a teflon finish,holds up well against moisture,does'nt come off very easily,Gun does as, others here have stated, fit like a glove,points naturally,if possiable, look at both of them side by side,both are excellent choices,but I think the CZ has the edge as it is DA/SA and the Browning is'nt, and the CZ can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a matte finished MkII highpower, never had a jam, shoots like a dream.  I've carried it on duty, off duty, and to ipsc/idpa matches.  It will be the last pistol I own if the time comes that I have to sell/abandon my other guns.  I may have my will amended to have it buried with me.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got both.  Stock, out of the box, you're going to like the CZ better, for one reason and one reason only:  the trigger.  CZ's stock trigger is very good while the monstrosity that comes with the Mk III BHP is enough to make a grown man cry.  

Now if you don't mind spending some more money to send it off to Novak or Cylinder and Slide then it's BHP all the way!  CZs have fantastic ergonomics and natural 'pointability' but they inherited that from ole daddy Browning P35.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Now if you don't mind spending some more money to send it off to Novak or Cylinder and Slide then it's BHP all the way!  CZs have fantastic ergonomics and natural 'pointability' but they inherited that from ole daddy Browning P35.

About how much would something like that cost? Could I modify it myself?

-SS
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have both, a Belgium SA P38 Hi-Power and a CZ.

P-38s are Walthers.  The Hi-Power was the P35.  Hi-Powers are single-action only, while CZ-75s are SA/DA (in most variants).  The CZ-75B is an incredible bargain, and a high-quality pistol.  It also has the best factory double-action trigger pull you'll find.

Oops you're right. I agree about the bargain. I paid something like $300 out the door from B&B Guns N. Hlywd, Calif.

Quoted:
I have an Inglis Hi-Power. It fits my hand like a glove, is smaller then my PT-99 and it shoots 147 gr Hydra-Shoks like nobody's business. But you won't go wrong with either gun.

Does your Hi-Power have the little read decal with the maple leaf on the front strap? I have read in the NRA's American Rifleman that gun is worth some real big bucks to some collector.  They had recommended if anybody has one of those not to shoot it.  Because it was a decal, it got worn away, and they said that very few survived.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want a 9mm for target pratice than get a CZ75 or 85. I have both and they shoot out of the box better than any 9mm I have owned EVER. They are built tough and you can get a boatload of aftermarket parts from Brownells. You won't be sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top