Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2001 6:29:56 AM EDT
Is my Bushmaster AR-15 (.223/5.56) legally a so called "Assault Rifle, Whatever this mean's?" even though it's only a semi-automatic weapon?
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
This is just Clinton BS.  No, it is not an assault rifle unless it is select fire, regardless of Clintonese BS.  Some will say you can assault someone with anything, be we are talking assault rifle here, not assault weapon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
In fact, by legal def'n, it can't be if of current maufacture.  Read some of the info articles, and you'll understand.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Well here in California it is.  It would have had to been registered by the beginning of this year and you can longer get them as of that time as well as a whole bunch of other nice rifles.  Magazines with more than a 10 round capacity are also banned.  If you had them in your possesion before the cutoff date you can keep them, but you can't get anymore........legally anyway.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The term the antis used when they wrote the law is "assault weapon" not assault rifle, there by including any weapon they wanted.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#5]
a man in a town in my area caved 7 kids' skulls in with a ballpin hammer, now THATS assualt
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#6]
and to answer your question for real, to be an assult weapon (AW) it must have so many evil features. if your bushy was a AW it would have bayo lug and flash supressor. odds are, if you bought it in the last few years, its not leagally a AW. if it has flash supressor, threaded barrel, baoynet lug( dont ask, i dont know why either) telescoping stock, or somekind of barrel mounted grenade launcher, it is a AW. if it was made before 1994, you CAN have these things, that means it is "preban" a term you will hear alot around here. if it was made after the '94 ban, and has some of the evils above, jack-booted thungs will be kicking your door down and killing your wife and dog any minute now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
If your AR is preban It is an assault rifle by US law, not international.
GG
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
[-!-]

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=72530&page=1

Bite me! I know he has 14,000 post in one day. Hell, half the people here have high post counts because of dumb, add a post to you count and crap like that.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top