Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2001 11:55:31 AM EDT
I found one for $800, is that a good deal?
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like a good deal as long as the complete gun is springfield. if the gun has new reciever buy  century arms then no it's not a good deal you can find them for $400 with these new recievers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It sounds like a good deal as long as the complete gun is springfield. if the gun has new reciever buy  century arms then no it's not a good deal you can find them for $400 with these new recievers.

DO NOT buy a Century Garand, they are poorly made and have severe quality control problems. Its more like a shoulder activated pipe bomb.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys I think he's refering to the new ones being advertised by Springfeild, they have started making them again. If that is the case I haven't seen one yet but I bet that would be a good price.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard they were sold out until late 2002.  Guns and Ammo had an article to that effect IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have a link to info on these?  Did not see them on SA's web site.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
They were just re-introduced!

$800 is a fair price. Dealer cost is $730 give or take $5.00. We have one on the shelf for $819.95 . Beautiful weapon!!!!!

-Chuck
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#9]

I saw a Garand for sale at a local FFL and the wanted 970 or something like that for it. It was an Italian reciever with Springfield parts. At a WAC show a few weeks ago they had Sprinfields, Remingtons, and H&R's for 600 to 700.

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I just saw one of the new Springfields at a gunshow today. The stock was perfect and everything else was absolutely pristine. (it was "new") The quality of the wood was the same as found on the M1A's. I did notice however that the receiver was most definitely Danish (crown marking). The dealer wanted $999.00 for it. There were a lot of battle-weary M1's at the show going for about the same price or more, so after looking at all of these then coming across the Springfield, the "newness" was striking. (but they wanted a grrrand for it!)
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw a new in box Springfield at a recent gun show for $899. The dealer who had it has always has decent prices and will deal. I assume he would have come down about $50 if I was in the market.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Springfield Armory inc. M-1's are made with cast receivers(also used but exc. to like new G.I. parts and a Boyds stock) just like the M-1A's. Why buy cast for $800.00+ when you can get genuine G.I. from the CMP for $519.00. Not knocking anyone, we all buy what we want. I just can't see the justification for the price. The only thing worse is reparking a G.I and putting Boyds wood on it then charging over $1,000.00 for it, ala Fulton(rip off)Armory and Mil(nice pine box)tech.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I had thought about getting an M1 through the CMP but never liked the "mystery" factor involved, in that you get whatever they send you. If the new Springfields are made on original receivers with new barrels, they seem like a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
If you really don't like what the CMP sends you, you can return it for a replacement.  Once.

Mine was pretty decent, seven years ago.  Haven't seen a recent one.  Heard a rumor they will run our of M1s sometime next year.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I would stick with the CMP Garand.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I saw a Garand for sale at a local FFL and the wanted 970 or something like that for it. It was an Italian reciever with Springfield parts.

The first short run of new Garands are being introduced with Beretta (IIRC) recievers, the  local shop got one in. SA will be using their own recievers on everything after that, they will also be offering the Garand in a .308.  

SA is also geing to be reproducing the M1 Carbine, I don't have any info on those yet.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2001 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I had thought about getting an M1 through the CMP but never liked the "mystery" factor involved, in that you get whatever they send you. If the new Springfields are made on original receivers with new barrels, they seem like a good deal.

The mystery factor is the best part ! At the worst youll receive an M1 worth more than $ 519 and if you wan't a certain manufacture just add a note on the order application. That new $ 1000 Springfield is way overpriced and you would never get anything near $ 1000 if you had to sell it.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Blue Sky for $400. sent it to Orion 7 in New York, they installed all new springs, checked and gauged, Re parkerized, installed a new USGI Springfield barrel and a new stock for $700, total $1100 for a basically new all Springfield GI Garand. I know good re-imports are not easy to find but if you find a good one this is a good way to go IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I went looking for this "new" Springfield and was unable to locate it on there site.

cmon   I need more info on the "new" sprinfield rifles.

Link Posted: 11/25/2001 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I would have to agree with the idea of ordering
a CMP Garand and simply getting it refinished.
At least you would have a genuine article, not
some rehash with a cast receiver, plus it
would be one less being sent to the smelter.
I have an H&R made in 1957, and I would not
trade it for any new M1.  John
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would have to agree with the idea of ordering
a CMP Garand and simply getting it refinished.
At least you would have a genuine article, not
some rehash with a cast receiver, plus it
would be one less being sent to the smelter.
I have an H&R made in 1957, and I would not
trade it for any new M1.  John

What he said!
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I already have a genuine WW2 era Garand... If sprinfield comes out with a "new" Garand, I want one.

I still plan to be a genuine m1 carbine. I am not near as interested in a new one of those.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought a Blue Sky import for $325 had a fellow board member re-finish the wood and re-park to like new condition for significantly less than what named outfits are charging.  Also just bought a nice USGI non-import marked barrel which I'm going to have him install, and presto a "non-import" Garand
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#24]
These aren't a "rehash" with a SA,inc. cast receiver.  These are a "rehash" with a Beretta receiver Seriously, these aren't the same rifles that SA,inc. was putting out before.  Those were the CAST receiver/USGI parts guns.  Not bad, but the receiver wasn't the greatest.  This was back in the days of DCM, when you could only get one USGI Garand in a lifetime, so demand was there.

The current crop (at least the one I saw at the show here in VA) was a Beretta receiver (as good as they can get) with Danish markings and USGI parts.  The barrel was a SA 65.  It had been refinished to match.  Nothing looked overly high-mileage, and it would be a great way to get a Beretta Garand.  The stock was new repo.  All in all it was a nice Garand, probably not outrageously priced either.  

The real test is when SA,inc comes out with their receiver.  Hopefully it will be better than the Century junk.  It's difficult to beat the CMP way of getting a Garand.  That is the best deal going, but you aren't going to get anything that looked like the Beretta example I saw from SA,inc. from the CMP.  While I would rather have USGI, and have it finished however I wanted, these Berettas are a good deal for someone who wants a VERY nice Garand right out of the box.  

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top