Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2001 7:57:38 PM EDT
Some a$$hole broke into my pickup and stole my Ruger P90 from my glove box.  I called the police and they wrote up a report.  I also called Ruger and the NRA.

Question 1.  Who else do I need to contact?  Is there a government listing of stolen guns?  

Question 2.  Will the NRA insurance policy cover the cost of the pistol if it was stolen from my vehicle?  They are sending a claims packet.

Question 3.  Should I contact the 25+ pawnshops in town and ask them if they recieved it?

Thanks for any help.  This has never happened to me before and I'm not sure what else to do.

Live Free
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
You should also contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. They're the ones who would track stolen firearms and their serial numbers. This will help if the gun is used in a crime or sold to a pawnshop.

As far as your insurance, I don't know. Calling the insurance agency would help answer that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry, they'll probably bring it back once they try it out...

Seriously, as long as you're gonna call all those pawnshops, give them the info while you're at it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you all think this could work?

Take a length of small diameter 3/16" aircraft stainless flight control cable,(Wire Rope) and on each end of the cable form a small eye by silver soldering. One eye could be placed under the seat mount bolts and the long end of the cable could be passed through the barrel and a lock placed through the other eye, or, locked on to the trigger guard. Might make a thief think it's not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
if you are a member of the NRA you are insured for 1000 dollars on fire arms theft
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Under the back seat of my truck I have a lock for my Benelli(similar to the one in my car),It locks on my shot gun to where its impossible to get out.Under my stearing wheel I have a button and that unlocks it. Get one of those from a police auction or become a cop. you'll never have your gun stolen again, my friend has a pistol one under his seat. Its a great device. Cost is about $100-200.
Bryce B(Augusta SWAT and HRT Officer)
p.s-sorry ur gun got stolen, I had a revolver stole but never found it,good luck!
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry about calling anyone else (including the ATF), except your insurance company.

If you reported it to the police, your weapon was entered as "stolen" into NCIC. It will remian on file as "stolen" forever until it is recovered.

If you don't get it back in the next few weeks, you will probably never see it again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The pawn shops get a list from local police every week then have to check any pawned or sold items against.  Problem is this will not work when your gun goes to a different location and it pawned there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear about your gun, same thing happened to a friend of mine last week.  If you have insurance through Farm Bureau they will cover it, sometimes your home owners will cover it as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Some a$$hole broke into my pickup and stole my Ruger P90 from my glove box.  I called the police and they wrote up a report.  I also called Ruger and the NRA.

Question 1.  Who else do I need to contact?  Is there a government listing of stolen guns?  

Question 2.  Will the NRA insurance policy cover the cost of the pistol if it was stolen from my vehicle?  They are sending a claims packet.

Question 3.  Should I contact the 25+ pawnshops in town and ask them if they recieved it?

Thanks for any help.  This has never happened to me before and I'm not sure what else to do.

Live Free

Just curious, why did you leave it in your truck, was it loaded??
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Incidentally, if you get lucky and the firearm is recovered and returned to you, make sure the NCIC entry is removed.  

Otherwise, that entry can cause a lot of problems later and could actually result in you being incorrectly locked up for possession of a stolen firearm.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Palmer,

I used to bring my pistol inside with me whenever I left the truck.  Unfortunately, many of the places I go (including work) do not allow this.  Remembering to get the pistol out of the safe every time I went for a drive didn't work for me.  I guess I felt safer knowing that this pistol was always in the glove box.  Since I now have my Conceal / Carry permit, I will look into installing a safe under my seat.  Thanks for all the good info guys.

Live Free
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 1:40:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Just curious. Why would somebody break into your pickup in the first place? Was there something else in your pickup of value laying out in the open(money, expensive stereo/speakers, etc) that tempted a thief to break in?
What I'm getting at is, why would someone pick your pickup out of a number of other cars to break into to steal something unless they KNEW there was the Ruger in your glovebox? Who else knew you had this Ruger? Did you ever show it to anyone from work or show it off in front of neighbors?

ArmaLiter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top