Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2001 7:32:56 PM EDT
What is the difference in the type 1 and type 2 receivers? Advantages disadvantages?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
There are three types.

Type 1 and 2 both have machining cuts.  The profile of the cuts are different.  Type 1 receivers were found to crack under HEAVY full auto use in the FALO squad support weapon.  The lightening cuts on the aft section of the receiver were changed to strengthen this area. The Type 2 receiver has the stronger lightening cuts.

Type 3 receivers eliminated the lightening cuts.  It greatly reduced the cost of production of the receiver, as there was less machining. It also didn't sacrifice any strength.

In practical terms, there isn't really going to be much difference in what you notice as a user.  The machine cuts make the receiver lighter, though not by much, and not enough to really notice on a 9+lb rifle.  The Type 1 would technically be the weakest, but failures were limited to the FALO test pieces that fired a tremendous amount of rounds through them on Full Auto.  I don't think there were ever any failures associated with the cuts on standard rifles, even ones that were tested by the 90+ coutries that used the FAL.  So unless you're building a FA heavy barrel FALO, I would just go with whatever profile you like the appearance of.

As far as strength goes, it's more important to chose a good quality manufactured receiver than what the milled cuts are.

If you're building it yourself, get the best receiver you can.  The build will go much smoother if the parts actually fit in the receiver.  Quality varies greatly.  It's worth paying the extra $50 or so to end up with the right part.  

Go to www.fnfal.com for more info

Ross
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 6:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one type 3 Entreprise FAL rec and am building another. Very happy with all of the Entreprise rifles I`ve fired, which is maybe close to ten different Entreprise rifles.
Plus Entreprise is very California friendly which says alot in my book.
DSA is Cali friendly also but to a lesser degree.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the info
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I think DSA and/or Enterprse had Type 3's for $179.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top