Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 6:13:21 PM EDT
I have done a lot of restoration on surplus gun stocks, and just finished one last night on a $39 Mosin-Nagant 91/30.   I thought I would share my experiences with those of you who might be interested.

Someone on this sight suggested using oven cleaner to remove grease/oil from a oil soaked stock.  I tried this for a second time last night and had fantastic results.  I couldn't believe how much grease and dirt came off of the stock.  I just wiped off the cleaner/grease/dirt and then wiped with a wet towel to remove any remaining residue.  

Last nights particular stock did not have much finish left.  Although it was clean after the degreasing, it needed something to restore the original look.  I usually use Tru-Oil for hand rubbed finishes, but have found it to be a bit too glossy for military finishes, and I was out last night!  So, I tried some Minwax semi-gloss quick drying finish.  It worked wonderfully.  It took two coats to restore the finish to what the handguard had left, and match closely to my M91's original finish that did not need restoration.  The 91/30's stock looks fantastic compared to the way it showed up at my door.  I did not try to remove any marks or dings in the stock, to retain it's "battle used" look.  

If anyone has an old battle rifle that has a similar problem and wants to clean it up.  This seems to work great, and doesn't really change/modify/mess up the original look.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to neutralize the lye in the oven cleaner by using a white vinegar and water solution (no B.S.) or the wood will deteriorate over time(granted a long time, but it will happen). Rinse off the oven cleaner( it even use a soft scrub brush for really soiled stocks) with water then using a bucket or other receptacle mix water and white vinegar the ratio isn't that important, I just mix it until I have a mild odor of vinegar. and sponge off the stock getting it good and wet the pat it dry with paper towels and let air dry. After you stain it to the color you want try 1 part boiled linseed oil to 2 parts mineral spirits and hand rub a couple of coats. It's water resistant and no glossy look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top