Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 4:58:20 PM EDT
I what to make bigger holes in stuff but don't know what gun to buy.

I LOVED my AR and it IS the best battle rifle in the would but not alot of battel right now soooooooo I got rid of it.

Tell me what do you think?

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#1]
D. All of the above! Note the three right most rifles below

Of the three the FAL is the most AR like with it's smaller size and pistol grip. The M1 is a classic and way different than anything you've likey shot with it's stipper clips and massive .30-06 cartridges. The M1A is the most accurate of the three and can be used for competition use.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
you forget the venerable G3
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Big_bore,

I am having a similar problem...

Garand or FAL. Gotta figure out what I'm gonna spend my xmas bonus on.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you forget the venerable G3

Yes I did

Sooooooo, back the the Garands and FALs

Just how much would a Garand be?
They can't be that much can they?
I'm thing about $2-$300,how off am I if at all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Try $600-$1000 for a decent USGI shooter not purchased through the CMP.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Say F*ING what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way man,there like 100 years old!
$600.00 is not bad but if it comes for CMP it's looks like hell.

Crap!......Ok what do you guys think about a good M-44$35.00 can't beat it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
CMP rifles do NOT look like hell.
That's grease, not rust.

MY CMP M1 Garand is the best money I've ever spent. This is a REAL USGI weapon, it probably killed a Sh@#load of Japs in WWII and hosed down human wave attacks on Chi-com troops in Korea.
It's a real piece of history and a fine rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't buy a CMP/DMC M1 when I got mine.

It is a reimport from Federal Ordinance.

It has an Oct. '43 receiver with a variety of late war parts and an April '45 barrel, and got a field rebuild. This suggests that it went to war and wore out it's original barrel. The '45 barrel is now worn out, too.

I once read somewhere that FedOrd brought it's M1's in from the Philippines. This suggests my rifle is a commie killer, too.

The rear handguard clip has NO finish on the top of it. I almost replaced it with one with finish when I realized that's where one puts there thumb when they carry it in one hand. I left it on. I can touch with real freedom fighters touched.

I bought a Danish kit and rebarreled the rifle to add yet another generation to it's life.

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
IMO, id rather have an fn-c than an fn-fal just because of the coolness factor of the fn-c over the fal

As far as garands you get what you pay for.
 Theres nothing like shooting a piece of history their big, accurate,and full of character
everybody should own a genuine piece of Americana like an M-1.

The M1a would have to be a close second
what the M1A=a lacks in character (not to say it doesn't have it) it more than makes up for in versatility
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I received my DCM Garand in 1995, and it turned
out to be a Danish M1.  Beautiful wood, Beretta
rear sights and a Danish barrel.  I really
wanted a Korean War era gun, though.  Later,
a friend of mine who has several M1s, traded
a real nice, mostly matching numbers, H&R, made
in 1957, for my Garand. I was very happy.
 As for the other part of the question, I would
not hesitate to invest in a CMP Garand while
you still can. If the wood is less than great,
you can replace it.  A genuine piece of history.
John
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to scope it, I recommend the FAL with a simple dust cover scope mount.  I've seen Leapers mounts like that for $20 - about 1/10 the price of a Garand mount.  The FAL also has an adjustable gas system, making it the only one that will work well with reduced loads.

They're all good guns.  

The Garand is special though.  No other semiauto has had as much involvement in big wars, ever.  That strange, inexpensive, simple yet functional clip.  That muzzle heavy design that seems built for excellent offhand shooting.  And you'll never forget the sound of its clip ejecting or impacting a hard surface.  Apparently that sound was designed to help you locate clips at gun shows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top