Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2001 12:43:31 PM EDT
Hi all.

I was wondering what has been the experience with carbon fiber barrels. I purchased one for a 10/22 with the idea that it would not need tuning (Eg., the BOSS system), it would have good heat dissipation, and the light weight would be an additional plus.

Although it has only been shot once at 50-100 yards, my initial impression is that the first shot is a flyer (maybe pulling one-inch to the right at 100 yards). The remainder seem okay (considering the distance).

My thought is that the barrel cools too quickly; therefore, all shots should be fired at once (with one practice) or that all shots should be made about 5 minutes apart (no way!).

I was hoping someone else with more experience with carbon fiber barrels may be able to shed some light here.  

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone have any experience, at all, with carbon fiber barrels?
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all.

I was wondering what has been the experience with carbon fiber barrels. I purchased one for a 10/22 with the idea that it would not need tuning (Eg., the BOSS system), it would have good heat dissipation, and the light weight would be an additional plus.

Although it has only been shot once at 50-100 yards, my initial impression is that the first shot is a flyer (maybe pulling one-inch to the right at 100 yards). The remainder seem okay (considering the distance).

My thought is that the barrel cools too quickly; therefore, all shots should be fired at once (with one practice) or that all shots should be made about 5 minutes apart (no way!).

I was hoping someone else with more experience with carbon fiber barrels may be able to shed some light here.  

Thanks!!!

As you have probably figgered out, the CF barrels are turned to a minimum diameter along the body of the barrel and then laminated with carbon fiber/epoxy, basically a lightweight and very strong fiberglassing.  It weighs next to nothing and is very strong and extremely heat tolerant (its used in brake pads on Forumula One Cars: they glow red hot in use), making it a good material to use in this application.  I warn against believing the 'heat dissipating' hype:  carbon fiber is actually a very good thermal insulator and will hold heat on the barrel core; you can put heat on the barrel a lot faster than the barrel can shed it.  I don't think you'll find this a problem in a 10/22 unless you cap off several 30 round banana clips nonstop.  

First round fliers are a problem with some semi-autos, and in the .22 it likely relates to the seating of the first round in the chamber.  If this barrel has a match chamber, it actually will jam the bullet up into the barrel up to .050".  If the first round isn't pushed completely up in the chamber, it changes the headspace, and hence the flier, and all the other rounds in the mag fall into the group, until you change the magazine again.  It might also be residual lube in the barrel if you are using solvents to clean.  Most .22 group shooters get around this by dumping a few rounds in the berm before shooting groups.

As far as not needing tuning, well, there is nothing magic about carbon fiber.  These barrels are as susceptible to harmonics as an all steel barrel, the exception being a barrel that has been tensioned before being laminated.  These are pretty expensive, but the tensioning helps reduce barrel vibes and improves overall grouping.

Hope this helps.  I don't think you've got any problems you wouldn't normally expect with a regular barrel, and if it performs well other than the 1" at 100yds flier (hell, all mine are fliers at that range with a .22), consider yourself in good shape and shoot.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Carbon Fiber barrels have many pros. One of the biggest is the consistant rigidity that a barrel will have even when hot.

Christensen who makes carbon fiber barrels for all calibers up to 50 BMG would be the people to talk to. Though I don't have their info. around me now. They also make carbon barrels for Ar's and have entered a carbon 700 for evaluation for the next generation Army sniper rifle.

When you stated your problem it sounded like it was unusual for a carbon barrel. However, if anyone could help you, Christensen can.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a Butler Creek carbon fiber barrel on my 10/22 for about a year now.  I don't shoot at paper much but it sure is hell on turtles.  Seems to be very accurate, lightweight and just looks cool as heck.  All in all no complaints from me.

Link Posted: 11/23/2001 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi all.

Thanks for the responses. My rifle was still developing when I made my first frenzied post! At any rate, it is beginning to receive some final touches... the buttstock needed work around the thumbhole, so I also increased the diameter of the channel for the barrel in the foregrip (now nothing touches). The receiver is now supported by AcraGlas (it'll be a few more days before I can test it out due to the rate of hardening of AcraGlas).

I probably should burnish the magazine feed lips a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top