Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2001 8:16:40 AM EDT
Watsonville police are being issued brand-new Colt AR-15 type rifles:

www.zwire.com/news/newsstory.cfm?newsid=2646099&brd=1197&PAG=461&CATEGORYID=0

The writers and editors make no mention of the fact that ordinary folks can't buy one.  And of course the rifles are pure good in the hands of the police.

(Made link active.)
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Typical PRK rules:  1 for the elite/govt. and 1 for the rest of us (the peasants).  Just like the "Handgun Safety Test" to declare if a particular gun is "safe" to own.  LEO is exempt from this law and can purchase any gun they choose even if it's not on the safe "list."  Unfortunately, it's not street level LEO's that are the problems.  It's the politicians who are the problem.  "So vote them out!" some would say, well I would but it's like getting a ballot that says "Pick One:  Stalin or Hitler."  Your screwed either way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I like some of the opinions listed under the article.  I bet most of them were written by AR15.com people.  Except for that one hosehead who thought it was OK for civilians to be banned.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the person in the foreground shooting an AR15 a guy or a girl?

Hope that it wasn't a female, Yuck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I find it interesting that one person (is it the instructor?) has a whole leg and a rifle in front of the firing line while shooters are in firing position.

I thought only whores and artichoke pickers lived in Watsonville.  Looks like they have Barney Fifes too.

<Just kidding.  One of my ex-girlfriends lives there.>

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just like the "Handgun Safety Test" to declare if a particular gun is "safe" to own.  LEO is exempt from this law and can purchase any gun they choose even if it's not on the safe "list."

Criminal defense lawyers are not stupid people.  You can just hear them say, "my client was shot with a Sat. Nite Spl since it is not safe, therefore....." Only guns that pass are not considered unsafe, "therefore ladies and gentlemen of the jury..."
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is the person in the foreground shooting an AR15 a guy or a girl?

Hope that it wasn't a female, Yuck.

That's the thing with Kali... it's so hard to tell
===========
Just re-read the article, it states "The weapons will give officers a considerable step up in shooting accuracy"

Didn't di fi et al whine that these were inaccurate assault weapons?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:...Didn't di fi et al whine that these were inaccurate assault weapons?

That's right.  Spray 'N Pray; no good for target shooting; only good for killing large numbers of people; no legitimate sporting purpose; bow-wow-wow; baah-baah-baah; moo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't anyone see the OBVIOUS pro-gun stance the writer took on this story????

There was no mention of "Assault Weapons" (of course the paper wouldn't want the citizenry of Watsonville to develop negative images of their officers!)

It was SPECIFICALLY stated that..."The AR-15 is not a machine gun. One squeeze of the trigger delivers one round."

BRILLIANT!!!!  The tide is turning!!!  Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!!!!

POP!

sorry, that was me just getting my head out of my ass! I forgot...ONLY CIVILIANS HAVE ASSAULT WEAPONS! This term does not apply to any other class of people in the United States.
WSmac
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't take this the wrong way, guys & girls, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to be out of Kalifornya (Since Dec.'94). I really feel for you guys having to contend with Sen-fems. Frankenfeinstein & Boxershorts. I watched the state implode (unfortunately) from a distance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was a good article without the usual mistaken firearm nonmenclature normally used by big-city liberal newspaper hacks.

It may be good for us that more police agencies use the AR-15. There are cops unfamiliar with the rifle who only hear the "Assault Weapon" label and these cops may gain a new understanding with the issue of a rifle. The pitfall is that the Executive level in the agency (The Police Chief) may tend to support an elitist position and believe that only police should have them.

That just leaves the Politicians to come along and fuck the whole thing up. But, if the current trend of patriotism and increased homeland security is maintained in a climate of lower crime and fewer sensational gun massacres then we may see some relief with a new change of leadership in Sacramento
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe many LEA's are now. Macomb County Sheriffs Dept here are getting the same thing. Was in the paper the other day.
Link Posted: 11/23/2001 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, it was nice of the reporter to describe the firearm more accurately than most other news people. BUT, I think it doesn't do any good to call the AR an assault weapon if civilians have one, and a semiautomatic firearm if someone in law enforcement has one. I agree with the other post that there is and will always be some "elitism" about who can/cannot, or should/should not own an AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top