Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2001 11:02:13 PM EDT
On my bushmaster "I'm sure someone out there has the same", but anyway when it says to put the elevation knob one click past the 8/3 mark before doing the 25 meter zeroing does that mean to the left of the mark or the right of the mark?
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Jander --

This will give you an inaccurate 300 meter zero (about 11" high) from a 20" bbl.  And high at all ranges.  [The Bushmaster manual is lifted directly from the Army's manual, but the Army has known it's wrong for years.

If you want a good 300 meter zero, set the sight at 8/3 and zero at 30 meters.  You'll need to measure it, not use a 25 yard range.

For a zero that's more useful at normal combat shooting ranges look at the Improved Battlesight Zero at communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/1/2001 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
dude i have a bushy. the manual says one click UP. there are letters and arrows on the left side of the sight. they say UP<--->DOWN. look for the answer on the gun and youd be surprised at what youll find
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Another newbie question - I have a Bushmaster flattop, 20" BBL - the elevation knob on mine bottoms out at 1 click past 6/3.  Is it important or not to have it bottom out at 3 clicks? (The Maryland AR15 site doesn't seem to think so)...

"U.S. Marine Corps 25-Meter Zeroing Procedures
4. Rotate elevation knob in the Down direction (counter-clockwise). The Elevation Knob should stop Three Clicks past the 300-Meter mark (NOTE: newer rifles may be set like this do not worry about it). The rear sight should be all the way down on the last whole 'Click' before it bottoms out. This is called Mechanical Zero Elevation for the rear sight. If your range scale will not line up in the above manner, an armorer will be required to adjust the range scale for you. (NOTE: Again this really is not required - some rifles bottom out on the 3/8 [or 3/6 for carry handles]. If you really want to adjust it then see the note at the end of these instructions.)"
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Another newbie question - I have a Bushmaster flattop, 20" BBL - the elevation knob on mine bottoms out at 1 click past 6/3.  Is it important or not to have it bottom out at 3 clicks? (The Maryland AR15 site doesn't seem to think so)...

Go with -2 clicks for the Improved Battlesight zero or -3 clicks for the USMC zero. Either way will allow you to crank down the elevation to shoot with the small aperture at 50-100 yards. Follow the instructions on the Maryland AR15 site to loosen the allen screw on top of the rear sight assembly so you can adjust the elevation wheel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it to my understanding if using the USMC 25 meter zeroing procedure, I should zero at 25 meters with the rear elevation at 1 click up above 8/3 or 8/3+1. Then if I want a battlesight zero for 100 yards, all I have to do is turn the rear elevation down 3 clicks down from 8/3 or 8/3-3 ?. I do have my M15A2 rifle to bottom out at 8/3-3.

ArmaLiter

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
That will be too high, Armaliter. Do as Chuck said above and zero at 30 meters with the rear elevation wheel set at 8/3, adjusting the front sight post. Then crank the rear elevation wheel down to bottom out at 8/3 -3 and double check it at 100 yards. Should be pretty close. Up one click (8/3 -2) should be close at 200 yards and up two clicks (8/3) should be close at 300 yards. HTH
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]
the USMC zero's ar 33m not 25m which is why my BZO is dependable all the way out to 300m. i have been unsuccesful in trying to locate the Marine Corps 33m BZO target with graduated grid. i think somewhere i have my target from bootcamp and i can scan it if no one minds the xerox of the impossibly tight group at center mass  
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]
DVLDOG, where do you shoot at??
At PI in bootcamp, and at the range at Cherry point, we zeroed our weapons at 25 YARDS (on Firday of Snap In), with the sights set at 8/3, making all adjustments on the front sight post. Then on the first day of the shooting on Monday, we BZO at 300 yards on the Dog target.
I have shot expert using this set up,  mad a possible at both the 200 and 300 yard line (not on qual day unfortuatly) and got 9 out of 10 in the upper center chest at 500.
So it would seeme to me that this method is the best (at least for the shooters at Cherry Point).
Also, most AR's don't come from the factory with 8/3 -3. My Bushy didn't, so you will most likely have to retime your sights yourself.
If you have to, run your sight UP until you can get to the set screw. remove the set screw(it should be AFT of the windage screw by 1 click), and run the sight down all the way. Then turn the UPPER part of the elevation know until you can set your elevation to 8/3 -3 clicks.  It only takes a few minutes to do this, but be careful that yo udon't stripp the threds in the upper dial of the elevation knob. Use an allen key to line up the setscrew hole with the lower hole so that you don't damage the upper elevation knob, or the set screw.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top