Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2001 7:37:26 AM EDT
Recently, I picked up an M48A Yugo Mauser and a bunch of surplus ammo. Took it to the range and WOW! That 198 grain slug made a definite impression on me and my .223 cartridges feel wimpy in comparison. I've fired the U.S. equivalents (.308 and 30-06), but there's an indescribable difference. I can understand why the Germans were in love with this caliber and used it for 40 years. It will knock you inside-out. I really pity the poor GIs who faced an MG42 spitting these widow-makers out at 1200 rounds per minute. Good grief! I'm not throwing the AR15 in the trash but it's not the alpha and omega I thought it was. There are virtues in these big bore guns.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard hitting big bores are a lot of fun. I love to shoot my M-1 and M-14. Mosin Nagants, Mausers and Enfields are a hoot if your looking for a change in the semi auto pace. All things considered I would take an AR over a bolt gun any day.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's good enough for our millitary (5.56mm)
it's good enough for me. I think they know more about gun's than you so.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's kind of an apples/oranges comparison. The two cartridges have different theories behind them. I too shoot and enjoy an assortment of old bolt action service rifles. But if I learn that the local biker gang is on it's way over to burn down my house, which gets loaded - the 1903 Springfield or the Wilson Combat UT-15?
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I started off as a Mauser collector / shooter. After putting together a nice collection of Mausers, I added a couple semi's. I have a Hakim and FN49 (SAFN), both Egyptian in 8mm. 8mm (7.92x57mm Mauser) is quite cheap right now. The least expensive being the Turkish surplus 198gr. back about 10 years ago, when I bought the Hakim, I bought a couple of 600 round cases for less than $50 a case. The only problem with it is that it is corrosive. I like it better than the Turkish 8mm. I have found that the Turk ammo has alot of first time miss-fires (usually fires on the second firing pin strike), I think they just have real hard primers. If you want non-corrosive, S&B sells locally for $8 a box of 20.

I like all my 8mm chambered rifles. The bolt actions are a little stiff on recoil. I think there is a certain satisfaction in getting a nice group at ranges past 300 yard with a 50+ year old battle rifle and ammo combination. I have fired at targets out to 600 yards with my Swedish M96, but that is 6.5x55mm and a whole other topic.......

Keep interest in those old battle rifles and keep history alive.

OSA
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
What OSA said.
www.milsurpshooter.net
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hmmm.  Your knowledge is exceeded only by your spelling.

You are allowed to continue in your delusion.

shooter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.  Your knowledge is exceeded only by your spelling.

You are allowed to continue in your delusion.

shooter.

LOL...Very classily stated shooterX308!!

I love the .223 round...hell I have an AR and an AK both chambered in the .223!!  And the military definitely knows more than I ever will about firearms.  However, if I am ever being shot at while I am taking cover (like behind a tree or cement wall) I sure hope that other guy doesn't have a 8mm/308/30-06/etc/etc!!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got 8mm, .308 and .223, all three are fun to shoot. I can shot .223 all day, I also like the solid recoil of the 8mm and .308
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
My first mauser(I still have it) is from 1916, I've fired it for about 12 years, before retiring it,  German 8mm, is what I call easy eight, it fire easy, and hits were you wantit to.  Some calibers just seem to fit the person better then others, for me it's 8mm, and 308.

enjoy the big boomers, but keep it safe.

TMA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top