Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2001 6:05:57 AM EDT
I was looking at an old 1911 at a flea market. the s/n was 200xx (i dont know why we dont show the last 2 digits) It was marked as gov property. The weapon seamed slightly slimmer and lighter than my newer gov. model. The bluing was very worn but the metal was in good shape. the seller was asking $600 dollars for it.
 Does any one have a link that has good info on the older 1911's?
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm assuming this was a Colt 1911. A 200xx serial number would make this a 1911 made in 1913.

If it still had all the original parts and nothing had been replaced $600 sounds fair even with the finish wear--especially if he come down $50 to $100. I wouldn't recommend buying one of these for a shooter as they are really gaining collectable status. A mint specimen will bring about $1200.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]

i know someone (not me of course) who has a colt 1911 gov with no serial #s.  i think it came from the military around ww2 or something..he won't let me shoot it cuz he's scared to take it out of the house.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i know someone (not me of course) who has a colt 1911 gov with no serial #s.  i think it came from the military around ww2 or something..he won't let me shoot it cuz he's scared to take it out of the house.

Back in the old days, alot of guns left the factory in lunch boxes.  These were usually pristine fine tuned "custom" examples.  

OSA
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If I recall correctly, there was no legal requirement for firearm serial numbers until the GCA of 1968.  I’ve seen many older long guns, esp. in .22LR, with no serial number.

I “THINK” ATF will put a number on one, if asked.  However, I’d be real careful about actually going to them (everyone nods head in agreement!).  It sounds like this firearm might have been “misappropriated”.

If it was me, I’d be tempted to put a number on it myself.  But with my luck, I’d pick a serial number of some gun once owned by Lee Harvey Oswald!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top