Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2001 4:01:43 AM EDT
Anyone been to the gunshow that they hold at the Holiday Inn at Fishkill, New York?

They have one this Saturday (9-5) and Sunday (9-3). I am looking to pick up some ammo and maybe some mags or AR parts.

I was just wondering if it would be worth while to go. I don't think that the place is that big.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
i've never been to that one before, but i'll be there tomorrow. its worth checking out, and i always seem to need a new battle-pac or three! anyone going should e-mail me, we'll meet up or something, but keep your distance, i have the flu!

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
How far upstate is Fishkill from Long Island? I haven't been/seen a gun show in almost a year.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish that I could join you guys there...sounds like a good show. I have not been to a show in NY since they stopped dealers from using the White Plains convention center. All they have now is cat shows and things like that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know if it is a good show or not. If I go, this would be my first gunshow ever (do vendors take credit card or is it strictly cash?).

Fishkill is exit 13 off I84. It's around 72 miles from Lower Manhatten (City hall area). You need to extrapolate to estimate the time from your Long Island location.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Though I never been to the Holiday Inn gun show, I live a 1/2mile up the road and will make the commute this weekend. I usually go to the one in Poughkeepsie Civic Center or the one in Middletown fairgrounds.
I work in Astoria Queens and it takes me 1.5 hours to get home, so add on you distance from Queens to your home.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]
It takes me 80 minutes to drive from City Hall (NYC) to exit 13 on I84.

Flashbang, I live 3 miles from you. What range do you go to? I found some private ones but every one I call, they are not accepting new members.

Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Kin I work in the city hall area too. Ill give you one guess where.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Vinnie, I see you are from LI. Back when I used to live up in Yankee land, I used to go shooting at a range way out in Calverton. Is that range still open or did Goerge get rid of the place?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Kin,

in my experience very few dealers take credit cards at shows.  Usually the guys selling bulk ammo are the only ones I see doing it, and sometimes even they seem like they would rather not.  In addition some guys tack on a few % for credit, and you can try to wheel and deal a bit with cash too.  So while some may take them, your best bet is cash.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Flashbang, I live 3 miles from you. What range do you go to? I found some private ones but every one I call, they are not accepting new members.

I belong to Southern Dutchess and Putnam
Sportsmen Association Inc. off of Cedar hill road in Fishkill. They have a 100 yard rifle range, a trap range and a 50' indoor range.
A shooters only member is $200/year with no work hours. Regular members is $150/year with 18 work hrs./year. This also gives you hunting privileges on all their land.
They have about 20 openings available. It's not the best club, but for around here it's the only option if you want to shoot. There’s virtually no one ever at the range whenever I go. There is no range officer, first one their is the officer. You can do what ever you want while shooting. rapid fire, prone, standing, sitting, etc.. Their maximum allowable member count is 176.
They have about 20 openings available.
http://www.geocities.com/sdpsa/
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Downrange

Inside outdoor range

Trap range

Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Vinnie, I see you are from LI. Back when I used to live up in Yankee land, I used to go shooting at a range way out in Calverton. Is that range still open or did Goerge get rid of the place?

Its still open. Here is a picture, that was taken at Calverton of Sherm,Waverunner and me.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Frank, is Goerge still running it or did someone else take it over. If I remember correctly the neighbors {the few that were there then) were starting to complain about the noise.

I will have to make a trip out there the next time I go to visit.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Counterstrike, thanks for the input! I have made a visit to my ATM.

Frank, are you going to Knights?

Flashbang, sounds like this may be the only option. Do you need a reference to get in?
Once you are in, can you bring a guest to the range?
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Calverton is still there.  It's not the "Wild West" anymore.  Paper targets only, no rapid fire.  It's a better place to shoot now because you don't get the crazy wannabe rambo freaks that just go there to waste lead and feed their biological inadequacies.  Harry, George's son-in-law (I believe), now does most of the work.  George is still there, mostly catching a few "z's" in his car. They hired a few new Range officers and a couple of girls to take the money before you enter the pits.  Basically is a smooth running business now, with skeet, archery etc..

(edited to add: sorry it too so long to respond.  I could find the origional thread.  I kept looking for it in the Meetings forum)
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks Frank, is Goerge still running it or did someone else take it over. If I remember correctly the neighbors {the few that were there then) were starting to complain about the noise.

I will have to make a trip out there the next time I go to visit.

There were neighbors complaining, and I think that is why they started the one shot every 3 seconds rule. You can usually do rapid fire at the pistol range because there's no rangemaster. George still owns/operates the place, but I haven't seen him there in a while. He's like 84 now.

edited to say-The Yaphank trap/skeet/sporting clays range recently got closed down beacause of people complaining abou the noise, and the owner didn't keep up with maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There were neighbors complaining, and I think that is why they started the one shot every 3 seconds rule. You can usually do rapid fire at the pistol range because there's no rangemaster....

Dominic was strict with the "5 second" rule, but he hasn't been a range master on Sundays in a while.  Harry runs the show and asks for at least 3 seconds between shots, even though there's a sign on the side of the tower that asks for 5 seconds.

For th past few Sundays there have been a few people floating in and out of the tower, and one Sunday I was there, they had a kid watching the Pistol section, calling cease fires every half an hour of so to check/change targets.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Flashbang1, I am very interested in joining the shooting club that you belong to, but I noticed that on the application to join, there is a sponsor requirement.

Would you be willing to sponsor new members from these forums?

If so, please drop me a line at the E-mail address in my profile, and we can talk details.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Flashbang1, I am very interested in joining the shooting club that you belong to, but I noticed that on the application to join, there is a sponsor requirement.

Would you be willing to sponsor new members from these forums?

If so, please drop me a line at the E-mail address in my profile, and we can talk details.

Thanks.

Quoted:

Flashbang, sounds like this may be the only option. Do you need a reference to get in?
Once you are in, can you bring a guest to the range?

Years ago you needed to be "jumped" in. By that I mean you had to know a member and that member had to introduce you to all the club members at their monthly meetings.
Now that is not so. All you have to do is show up at the club house during their monthly meetings [third Friday every month 8pm] ask for a application, fill it out, sit through the meeting for about a hour and at the end they will ask if there are any new "readings". You then stand up introduce your self, say why you want to join and that’s it.
Next month you go to the meeting again, at the end of the meeting they will ask "any second readings", you raise your hand and they will ask you to go outside while they pass a box of white and black marbles around to vote you in.
Three black balls you loose, two or less you're in. Only one person in 15 years was "black balled" because of a prior DEC violation.

Once you’re in pay your fee with a check and you can bring guest anytime as long as you are there with them and you take full responsibility for them. Your guest must yield stations for members if it is crowed, but that never happens.

Fees are due every April 1st. They will pro-rate you if you join anytime after.
mo./day--------Regular Member-------Shooter
01/01-03/01--------150.00------------200.00
04/01-06/01--------112.00------------150.00
07/01-09/01--------075.00------------100.00
10/01-12/01--------037.50------------050.00  

NYPatriot,I will email a contact number for you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Fashbang! I think that I will try to apply. I guess that we just missed this month's meeting and the next one will be on December 21st.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah, I also went to the show and it was a disappointment. Just around 5 rows of tables. I think that I only saw 1 AR there. Wanted to buy some bulk ammo but did not see any. All I bought was a $4 ammo box. Should have saved the trip to the ATM.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Err, glad I missed the show. Kin, you get one more guess. Look at my name.....my job really "stinks".
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey Frank, sorry but I misread your question before. I though I was guessing where you go shooting.

I would guess that you work at the Fulton fish market.

I don't work in City Hall but I grew up in that area and my mom still lives there so I visit once in a while. I still like to walk around that area when I visit. Battery Park is beautiful and that J&R really made it big. It used to be just a chimpy record store in the basement. I remember buying 45's (records) from them for 69 cents each. Most of the stores I frequent as a kid are gone. We use to go to Woolworths and Speigels. I bought a model kit from them almost every week. The bookstore on Chambers street (RUBY) is pretty good too. I use to buy my military related books from them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the responses. I am glad to hear Goerge is still there. Does he still have the same old car?  
I haven't shot there since the 80's. Paper targets only now? I liked that range because of the stuff you could shoot at. I used to get a kick out of the old barrels that looked like they shouldn't be able to stand because they had so many holes.
The next time I get a chance I will have to give it a try again. They haven't changed any regulations about out of staters have they?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Both the Middletown Show and the Poughkeepsie
Show have went to Sh*t is the last few years.
I only go to the Pennsylvania show now.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope VA.  One time I went to show George my DL, because I got use to showing it at the Mitchell field range.  and he just laughed and called those guys A__-holes.

BTW they got rid of the old dump truck everyone use to shoot at too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the replies, it brought back lots of nice memories.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Nope VA.  One time I went to show George my DL, because I got use to showing it at the Mitchell field range.  and he just laughed and called those guys A__-holes.

BTW they got rid of the old dump truck everyone use to shoot at too.

What's the Mitchell field range? Is that the place near gabreski airport in W. hamptom? I've been trying to find info on that place.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Mitchell Field is in Nassau County, by the Coliseum.  Indoor range, 25 yards.  I go there when It's raining,
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#30]
The show was an embarrassment. It was for the misinformed. Ruger Mini14's asking $600.00 and up, 1 Pre-banned AR15 with a rusted forward assist and well beat metal and plastic $1200.00, ammo .40S&W $12.00/box from someone’s flooded basement.
Well use 50cal ammo cans for $4.00.
The Middletown and Poughkeepsie shows are real shows with lots of choices and much more guns and ammo at mail order prices.
Nothing there but vendors looking to rob misinformed people, who are looking to get a first time gun. The fat lady at the door had more appealing toys for sale.

However, I did walk away with a beautiful FN49 semi chambered in 8MM mauser for $350.00.

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Flashbang,

I bought one of those well used 50 cal ammo cans. I couldn't leave empty handed.

Is the next meeting at your club in December?
How many people vote on your admission? It seems that it's very easy to get 3 black balls
just from some people who may not like the way you look.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Hey Flashbang,

I bought one of those well used 50 cal ammo cans. I couldn't leave empty handed.

Is the next meeting at your club in December?
How many people vote on your admission? It seems that it's very easy to get 3 black balls
just from some people who may not like the way you look.

If you needed to buy something at the show the ammo cans weren't that bad compared to what else you could of bought. FWIW there is a guy at the Middletown show that sells new ammo cans, 50 cal. $4.00, 30 cal. $3.00.
Next meeting is in December. Usually about 50 members show up, who ever are present votes. Dress casual, act normal and you won't have a problem getting in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top