Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2001 8:34:55 PM EDT
One of my customers is an avid gun collector...went to his safe to show me his garden varieties..then pulled out 2 AK's, black plastic stocks, one was shorter than the other, and had funky flash hiders...anyway...I did'nt want to ask "what" kind they were (show my ignorance) thought "I'd leave that to the AR15 family...

My question is ...I know they were'nt VEP's, and I know they are "evil"...but whats up with 2 kinds of black plastic stocks..were they made that way? WHy do I want know? He wants to sell them to me...how much are they worth?

I'm getting the LEGP first...but the next buy will be a hand gun THEN the AK's.

Little help.. thanks,
NAKED

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You need more info.  Black plastic stocks say Bulgarian plastic.

One longer than the other says Kvar-corp USA made copies (good quality)

Anyone can put these stocks on any AK, so you would need to know, what kind of receiver/rifle, to know the value.

All postban AK's run from $300 to $600 in value.

Prebans from $700 on up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the stocks on them like a VEPR stock or was it like a fiberforce stock or a traditional straight stock?
Did they look really short?
Possibly a Krinkov...
Or one of those Russian Izhmash Arsenal models S.O.G sells out of SGN.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks FALARAK...he also had a nice FAL. It was lighter than any FAL I've held. My F-in-law has one that weighs a ton...the ones at he gun show were heavy as hell also. He said go ahead pick it up, Nice freakin' gun! Has a cheap scope on it"he said", but damn it was light and nice.

Thanks again...yepper...I'm hooked.
NAKED
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Beagles,
I'm not privy on the VEPR's stock configurations, I have seen VEPR's but these were AK's... he said flatly they were AK's..they were pretty straight stocks...the shorter one was impossible to cheek weld. The barrels and recievers "looked" worn but, in good "clean" condition.

He's been my customer for 3 years...and I have done him "right" many times...he's an ex-Korean war/conflict Vet...great guy. Hardcore American Patriot...thinks it's funny as hell that I'm hooked on guns...wants to help me along..snicker..snicker.

Thanks,
NAKED
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
NAKED-,

Those could've both been the much-coveted Krebs AK103 & AK103k (www.krebscustom.com/CustomRifleSuggestions.html). I've had a down payment on 1 ea. of these for months.

In case you didn't know, Mark Krebs is the master behind these pieces. He buys the civilian versions (VEPR, I believe) from Russia and converts them, using the appropriate US-made parts to make them legal.The excellent muzzle breaks are like those on the current AK-74, (except in 7.62X39 cal, of course), and are machined from billet stock. SOF mag. did a write up on them (Peter J. Kokalis) and rated them as excellent. I've held the carbine (103k) and it is awsome. I even went so far as to get 30 AK mags + a 75 rd drum mag, but have no rifle, yet.

My local dealer tells me that they're apparently having trouble getting guns/parts from Russia, attributing to the slow production. If you can get one of these, my advice is to take it. They go fast.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what a VEPR looks like:
Also a VEPR is an AK!

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
See what I mean Beagles? Dumass and stupid schitt would have immediately appeared on my forehead if I'd not acted "stupid" to him. The butt stocks were straighter...the shorter one was not made for an American arm/head OR, there was some attempt to make it a shorty? Anyway, the pic you have..no resemblance except barrel and receiver. The Vep's Ive seen at shows..had "holes" in the stocks and "looked" posty? High-tech plastic,these were'nt.. Make sense? The front sight was definitely different on his...the flash hiders were semi-circumfirance on the end of the barrels...he did say, Do NoT take this to a range unless...
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Aah, I see...
They sound cool to me!
Here's a pic of one of my favorite AK's....It's a NIB Preban Norinco 56S.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
MB,
I think we have winner...the 103 "looks" like the gun..flash and everything... the pistol grip looks the same...except all the metal on his looks worn...like it's been somewhere, but clean. Light as a mf too. Felt like the same weight as my SKS..I guess no wood furniture would do that, huh?  

I guess I'll be in the market for him....eh told me that these two were among his prizest possessions...he said I'd be the envy among alot of people... Yes...I do know what that means...he said we could go out to the military base range to shoot it...ONLY the military range.

I hope so...now my curiosity is charred,
NAKED
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't the VEPR's have the dragunov action?
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't the VEPR's have the dragunov action?

VEPR's are made with RPK Russian receivers.
I broke mine in a few weeks ago, I really like it. The only down side to it so far that I have an opinion on is the weight of the front forend seems a bit to heavy. The recoil is less and accuracy better than any AK I ever shot but it's a bit hefty....

John
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Master_Blaster,
does Kreb's have a email address? I don't see one on the site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top