Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2001 7:53:44 PM EDT
Anyone know opf a good gunsmith to do this? Is it possible?

Thanks

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather see you spend $80 to $90 and do it right with a new stripped upper.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Compass Lake Engineering can turn your A2 upper into a flat top, with a permanently attached extended scope/target iron sight base that places the scope at the right height and gives plenty of adjustment for eye relief.  HOWEVER, the A2 upper receiver converted this way will have a large round hole at the top rear behind the scope base which is left over from the A2 sights.  The cost to do this was about $165, last I heard, and while this is the deluxe approach, either using an A1 upper (to avoid the hole) or just getting a flat top upper and adding a bolt-on scope base would be more practical.  CLE makes a bolt-on scope base for flat tops that duplicates their permanently attached setup but does not have provisions for mounting target sights. (NRA Highpower Match Rifle aperture type.)  This is of top quality and sells for $90 if memory serves.  You would probably come out ahead to sell your A2 upper and buy a flat top and a GOOD quality scope base. One advantage of using a good bolt-on scope base is that you can very quickly change scopes from one flat top upper to another.  Just undo 2 screws, re-zero the scope after installing on the new upper, and you're in business.   Compass Lake Engineering can be reached at (850) 579-1208.  The proprietors (Frank and Theresa White) have a great reputation for quality and value, are very helpful, and should be able to assist you with any AR15 related project.  Their specialty is highly-accurate AR15's for Highpower competition and varminting.  Hope helpful,
John
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
First you take a hacksaw . . .

Seriously why would anyone want to do this when you can just buy a flattop?  Say you wanted to convert your car from six cylinders to four (better mileage y'know), this is like removing cylinders from an engine rather than just buying a new engine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
SEND YOUR UPPER TO ME

I WILL REPLACE YOUR A2 UPPER WITH A A3 FLAT TOP (TRADE), AND INSTALL YOUR BARREL WITH RETURN SHIPPING FOR 25.00

WILLAIM
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]
kurt dose it,you can find a link to his web site in the Industry Forums.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks All!

Bulldog Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top