Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2001 1:18:27 PM EDT
I apologize if this is a stupid Q,

I own 9 firearms now, (4hg, 5 rifles) all purchased from gun stores.  How much different is it to buy from someone privately? I'm after an ar-15 lower to try building.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done it twice.  It takes longer to do the transaction obviously.  Will have to be sent by Fed Ex to a FFL.  Then you pick it up from them.  I've never been screwed but it happens.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on your state laws.  In Texas, I can buy from a private seller without having an FFL tranfer, so no paperwork.  Cash = gun.  For many, it is the only way to go.

You can even ship the gun within the state.

Check out www.the56.com for private gun sales on line.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Fed Ex?

Try USPS for three bucks.

FFL is only needed if the transaction crosses state lines and then only the receiver needs to be a FFL.

If you have to use a FFL get a price UP FRONT for "use of FFL."  Buddy of mine does it for nothing, but there are a couple of local shops which charge $10 and $15 each.  5 minutes work on their end.

Beware there are plenty of idiot FFLs out there, some of whom think the firearm has to be send from a FFL to them.  Ain't so.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in pretty good with my gunshop pals, but they still insist on charging $50 to receive a firearm. Probably why the guy behind the counter is able to buy two or three new guns a week.....
Those bastards  
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm in pretty good with my gunshop pals, but they still insist on charging $50 to receive a firearm. Probably why the guy behind the counter is able to buy two or three new guns a week.....
Those bastards  

Doesn't sound like you're in too good to me.  $20 is pretty much going rate for transfer fees.  Check Shotgun news web site - they have a list of dealers (searchable by state) that includes fees.

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top