Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2001 7:54:31 AM EDT
Men,

I need some opinions, I'm buying a choice select Battlegrade M1 for my Dad for Christmas from Orion 7. When I called they told me they had some Winchesters also but I elected staying with the Springfield since Dad is a Veteran. What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Dirk
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#1]

I elected staying with the Springfield since Dad is a Veteran.

I'd like to help you out but I'm not sure I understand your question. You're thinking a veteran would be more appreciative of a Springfield... why? Winchesters usually demand a premium because there were fewer made, about 500,000 to Springfield's 4 million. If Orion 7 is offering either one at the same price, I think I'd opt for the Winchester, partly because I already have a Springfield.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure which one he would prefer and thought maybe some opinions might help me decide. I can always call them back. Maybe a better question is "which manufacturer made the better weapon?"
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I have owned both (Winchester & Springfield).  You will not find much difference in quality between the 2.  They both shoot the same as far as accuracy goes.  I would go with the Win since fewer were made (as long as they are in good cond).  You will definitely get your money back out of it if you ever go to sell it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what being a veteran has to do with his preference. Both were military issue. Only Springfield and Winchester were manufactured during WWII. The I.H.'s and H&R's were manufactured at the close of the Korean war but neither saw use in that war. The late Springfields are considered the bench mark of quality for the M-1 rifle. The Winchesters are more sought after by collectors but surprisingly, Winchester had Q.C. trouble and never quite matched the over all quality of Springfield Armory. I agree that if they are the same price get the Winchester. Ask Orion 7 what kind of stocks they use. If they are using original U.S.G.I. stocks great. If they are using aftermarket stocks like Boyds, not great but O.K.. For an all original U.S.G.I. M-1 rifle there's only one place to go www.odcmp.com If you can get the application and payment in this week, you'll have it by Christmas
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't realize both Springfield and Winchester were manufactured during WWII. Sounds like the Winchester is the better value. Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I didn't realize both Springfield and Winchester were manufactured during WWII. Sounds like the Winchester is the better value. Thanks for the feedback.

Defenitely go with the Winchester given the option.

It's like a buddy of mine that is a vet wanting a "Colt" 1911 from that era when he carried one. Well, he was quite happy with a Remington Rand since it was identical to one he carried and didn't know the difference until I showed him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I went with the Winchester. Thanks for the advice, I have AR15's and don't know much about the M1 but I'm looking forward to shooting it!

Dirk
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I went with the Winchester. Thanks for the advice, I have AR15's and don't know much about the M1 but I'm looking forward to shooting it!

Dirk

Warning, you'll want one for yourself if you do...
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I know, hope it's not as addicting as my AR habit. I may have to sell the wife!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Now mind you that the Winchester you'll be getting won't be a complete rifle but rather a Winchester receiver only. It's VERY doubtful that they are considering a complete Winchester a "rack grade" weapon. Those are considerably more expensive to piece together.

That being said, either will suit your purpose very nicely. Orion 7 is a first class outfit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I know the feeling.

Just out of curiosity, what is the rifle going to cost you?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I looked around and even considered buying one from CMP but their delivery time wouldn't have made it by Christmas. CMP and Orion 7 were two main recomendations I saw around the forums. Their Choice Battlegrade (suppose to be a better quality finish on the wood and metal than the standard Battlegrade) goes for $900.00 but because they're running a sale until tomorrow I got it for $850.00 + $25.00 shipping. You get a owner's manual, 5 magazines and the sling with it.

check it out:

www.m1garandrifle.com/Garand%20Rifles.htm

Also, I got two brothers that are going in on it with me so it will end up costing me $300 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Newsflash -

You are TOAST, my freind.

Take it from someone so addicted, he changed his login name to......

garandman
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#14]
oh shit... it can't be much worst than my AR problem.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
lol...i have the same amount of garands and ar's!i love em both......somebody help me, help me garandman, as one brother to another.i need gun counseling.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top