Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 8:35:22 PM EDT
I am interested in one of the straight pull rifles that are now on the market. Anyone have any experience with these rifles? If so what to look for or to watch out for such as good surplus ammo or ammo to beware of. Also any reloading experiences with same or usage hunting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
  I just bought one a couple of weeks ago from AIM surplus. I took the hand select and the rifle I got looks good to very good on the outside; about 95% blue, bright clean bore with sharp rifling and the action works as smooth as silk. The stock looks original and has it's share of small dents and dings but is quite solid. They are referred to as the Swiss watch of rifles and I can see why. Certainly a unique addition to anyone's collection.
  AIM claims that the ammunition is on it's way and will be available soon. It's suppose to be boxer primed non-corrosive and relatively inexpensive. According to shotgun news ads, S.O.G. has some and is selling it for $8-$9 per box of 20. I sure hope this is right because at a gun show this week, I only found one vendor with one box, selling for $26.00 for 20.
  Lee has dies in 7.5 Swiss. I think that it uses a .308 dia. bullet but please check this out first as I'm not positive about that.
  According to two gunsmiths that I know, they both claim that the Schmidt-Ruben has accuracy on a par with or exceeding Swedish Mausers.
  I hope the ammo boat comes in soon!!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen ammo at the gun shows for about a year now. I think Cole's has it in stock.
Look for blue boxes out of Portugal.
I picked up about 100 rounds for mine and I've shot a box thru it.
Its pretty good stuff and its reloadable too.
Sure shoots alot better than the Interarms stuff that I got with my rifle.
The lead part of the bullets was turning white.
But it was the only stuff I could find that was cheep. Norma stuff is so expensive.
My Schmidt is configured as a sporter right now and I've been itching to try it out as a hunting rifle. I just need to figure out how to get a scope mounted on it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top