Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 10:59:42 PM EDT
I am looking for a new Mildot scope to put on an HK91.  Here are the scopes I am looking at

Leupold Tactical = $539
Kahles 10X-42mm = $529
Zeiss 6X = $650

I am leaning toward the Kahles for $529.  The only downfall to the scope is the 1 inch tube.  The leupold is nice, but I really don't think I need a 14x power.  Does anyone have any experience with the Kahles scopes?  They are a division of Swarovski so I presume theay are a really good scope.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I own several Leupold Vari-X III's, including a 3.5-14x52mm and one Zeiss Diavari 3-9x40mm.  I have never had a problem with any of them.  Kahles is a division of Swarovski, but they are not as good as Swarovski.  Like Leupold's new WindRiver line they are a lower priced alternative.  

I think the Zeiss 6x would be under powered at ranges beyond 200 meters.  If the Kahles is a fixed 10x then it would be hard to shoot at anything close because of the limited field of view.  If the Leupold is a Vari-X III and not a Vari-X II it is probably a 3.5-14x.  The variable powered scope will be useful in more situations and give you a higher magnification for longer shots, or simply observation.

Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
DO NOT go with a 1 inch tube.  It's antiquated, poorly supported now with spare parts and stuff.  It has poor light transmission, and you won't be able to have enough come-ups to shoot beyond 10 feet with it.  Go with a 30mm tube and you'll be much happier.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Tasco super sniper 10X. $299.00 from SWFA. Love this scope, About 99% equal to my Leupold at 1/3 the price.    
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Pentax Lightseeker 8.5x32x44 at www.sierratradingpost.com do a search for the keywork scope. $399
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I also have a Tasco SS 10x42 with mildot on my M21 and I am very impressed and satisfied. My only complaint is that the adjustments are a little "mushy" but I would still buy one if I needed another (especially for $300). I am a Leupold fan and own several of their scopes. I was not excited about spending $800 for one of their Tactical scopes.

Karl
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Tasco SS
Leupold MK4 M1 in 10X
Leupold LRT 4.5X15
All 30 mm and all good
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tasco super sniper 10X. $299.00 from SWFA. Love this scope, About 99% equal to my Leupold at 1/3 the price.    

I second this notion.  I have four, and they are tough as nails.  The optics aren't quite up to Leupold's, but they are still very good.  For the price, you can't go wrong.  There are two models that differ only on the location of the parallax adjustments; one is on the rear ocular (the one I favor, and the cheaper of the two), and the one with the adjustment on the turret a la Mark IV.  www.swfa.com

shooter
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Kahles is an Austrian firm.  I believe Swarovski acquired them a few years age.  Some foreign militaries use them on their sniper rifles.  

They seem to have a good reputation but are a step down from Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender, etc.  The folks at snipercountry.com might know more about them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tasco SS
Leupold MK4 M1 in 10X
Leupold LRT 4.5X15
All 30 mm and all good
cpermd

Morgan-Keegan-

If you're interested in the MKIV M1 10x40mm, I found a good price on it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Sitting Bull:
DO NOT go with a 1 inch tube.  It's antiquated, poorly supported now with spare parts and stuff.  It has poor light transmission, and you won't be able to have enough come-ups to shoot beyond 10 feet with it.  Go with a 30mm tube and you'll be much happier.

Maybe a little hyperbolizing here. Light transmission and parts availability are not the real issues. Magnifacation plays a bigger part in light transmission than tube size (compare exit pupil sizes) and as long as the scope is in production, parts will be available. In reality, you shouldn't even worry about buying parts for the scope (at least internal ones) simply because you will not be opening the tube. The ability to have a load of elevation adjustment is only necessry if you will be shooting out to, and beyond, 1000 yards (he said hk91, not psg1).
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#11]
What ARben said.
I still like my 30s though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pentax Lightseeker 8.5x32x44 at www.sierratradingpost.com do a search for the keywork scope. $399

I recommend going with a 50mm objective when a scope gets up into the higer powers (20-up).  Anything smaller, especially in the 1" tube, doesn't transmit much of an exit pupil.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on the Tasco SS 10X42 adjustments being a little 'mushy' but otherwise a great scope for the price. I heard somewhere the latest Tasco SS scope adjustments were 'clickier' and that Tasco would refurb earlier models. Anyone know anything about that?

Morgan-Keegan, AFAIK, the Leupold Tactical is the only scope you mentioned that has mil dots. I have a Schmidt & Bender 4X25 with built-in 7.62 NATO BDC stanag mounted on my HK91 clone. The glass is superb but it seems you're looking for higher magnification.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I own a leupold variIII3.5x10x52 w/mildot, I can only say wonderful things about it. No problems whatsoever.
For the weapon you are looking at scoping I would go with the 6 power, it would be about perfect for that weapon system.
The 10 power would be nice but up close, you`d get lost in the scope fairly easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top