Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
and Yes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
 YES on all counts.

Do yourself a favor and buy one built by a name manufacturer though.

Try Derek Huffman at Arizona Expert Arms.
He posts here on the board and does super work.

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
What they said.
www.dsarms.com

I went cheap...got a Century, love mine.

www.aimsurplus.com

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
From Running Scared: "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Guys!! i love this board!!!

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
FAL good- Century receiver BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!  Do yourself a big, huge favor and don't buy an FAL with a Century receiver like the one from AIM.  Spend the extra cash and get one built by a reputable 'smith on an Imbel or DSA receiver.  Azexarms and Arizona Response Systems both make some excellent guns on good receivers.  They're more expensive than the Century guns, but you're assured of a higher-quality product.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FAL good- Century receiver BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!  Do yourself a big, huge favor and don't buy an FAL with a Century receiver like the one from AIM.  Spend the extra cash and get one built by a reputable 'smith on an Imbel or DSA receiver.  Azexarms and Arizona Response Systems both make some excellent guns on good receivers.  They're more expensive than the Century guns, but you're assured of a higher-quality product.

Thanks for the advise Sparkey
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Speaking out of the "Land of the FAL" (FN Herstal is about 1Hrs drive from where I live), having humped around with one for many years and having owned one, here's my 2 cents:
Don't hesitate, get one as soon as you can. Personal preference/experience would make me point you to a metric version from a decent manufacturer (check the previous links downhere)
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I want in this order thees guns:

SKS

Mossberg 570 Pump Shotgun

AR-15

FAL

COLT Or Springfeild 1911A1

Springfeild M1A
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#11]
www.l1a1.com/for more info.

Get a catalog from FAC. www.gunsnstuff.net./ I think they are selling everything you want at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FAL good- Century receiver BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!  

Ouch.  Didn't realize that was a Century made receiver.  I got my FAL from AIM and it was an Imbel.... but that was a while back.  

I would look around... l1a1.com is the place to learn.... it takes a while.

I opted for a real STG-58 clone, with a metric Imbel receiver and a metric Steyr made kit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Being delivered a M444. An Imbel receiver buit up by IAI in TX.
Was this a good purchase?
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I got mine from Entreprise Arms and have been very happy with it, including about five other rifles of theirs I have tried. They had a bad rep for a while, but their rifles work and are accurate. Not as pricey as DSA but better quality than Century and Fed and of course Hesse.
Plus lawrence @ Entreprise is more than helpful and they stand behind their product 100%.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#15]
FALs are good
I prefer Imbels but am biased.
The sights are adequate
Mags are cheap and wonderful.
Nice guns.
Prices seem to be coming down due to the flood of kits on the market.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Q: Is the FAL Rifle any good?
A: Good for what? They are a fine assault rifle and a great battle rifle.

Q: Can you find extra mags?
A: The metrics are plenty and cheap at $5-$8 NIW. The inch patterns are a bit harder to find and sometimes more expensive but by no means rare or dear.

Q: Are they Accurate?
A: Sort of. They'll do as well as most semiautomatics but not as good as some.

Q: Are the sights good?
A: Personally I don't like the rear sight which is an un protected rear peep sight. The hard to get paratrooper rear sight has protective wings on it like our beloved AR.

Q: Can you put a scope on it?
A: Piece of cake. Crack the rifle open with the provided take down lever, slide the bolt cover off and replace it with one with a weaver rail attached. Tighten the screws and away 'ya go about $60 poorer. The DSA mount is my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out the 'Notes' section on Arizona Response Systems' website and read their experiences with Entre'prise receivers and also with Lawrence before you buy one of their guns.  Based on everything I've seen and read from people who know FAL's much better than I do, the receivers rank like this in terms of quality:

DSA
Imbel
Entre'prise

A very good 'smith who's a friend of mine said that, in his opinion, DSA makes the best FAL receiver ever made.  He said that parts kits were extremely easy to put together on them due to their quality machining and consistency.  

Of course, all of this is hearsay because I'm not a gunsmith or a machinist.  I'd just do some looking around before I plunked my hard-earned cash down- there's lots of info out there.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everybody. So dont get a FAL with a Century receiver. Thanks

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I want in this order thees guns:

SKS

Mossberg 570 Pump Shotgun

AR-15

FAL

COLT Or Springfeild 1911A1

Springfeild M1A

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have got the SKS first.
I never shot it after I got my AR. I just sold both my sks's.  
Just my opinion but I would replace the SKS with an AK.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't get a Hesse, either.  Hesse made the crappy receivers for Century, and their overall quality control SUCKS.  My three top choices (not in any order) would be:

DSA's factory gun or the STG58 rebuild they do on their receiver.
Arizona Response Systems
Azexarms

Which you choose depends on what you want.  DSA makes a great receiver and a great gun, but I don't care for the muzzle brakes they put on their guns.  Azex makes great guns with STG parts kits on Imbel receivers, but from what I've seen makes mostly 21" guns.  ARS makes everything from 21" heavy barrel guns to 16" carbines, including a nice, handy 18" carbine.  They also seem to have a better selection of post-ban legal muzzle attachments, too.  I just don't care for the flamethrower effect and the huge noise of the DSA brake on a short-barreled gun, which is the length I prefer.

Azex might be willing to make you a gun in any configuration you want, you'd have to call and check with them.  DSA is pretty swamped just making their factory offerings, so they're not real keen on custom work.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the above choices, just do some looking around.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a new Century FAL and it is absolutely perfect. I shot 100 rounds last weekend without a single problem. The Hesse receivers they used to use were junk, but I hear they are now either casting the receivers  themselves or have someone new making them. Regardless, it worked fine and the fit and finish are great. Best $500.00 I ever spent. Shane
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
My best friend and his dad have been building FAL's for several years and they oth say to stay away from HESSE, ENTERPRISE and CENTURY. They both agree that IMBEL receivers are the best to go with basically.
They are great rifles.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
They build them and sell them for anywhere from $800 to $1200 for the most part and they are all off of new or excellent condition kits. They also said that they could do me a real nice tack driver one for about $2000.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Bushmaster,
 I ordered an STG58 from DSA and I am VERY impressed. It is pretty much a new gun, couldn't tell if it has ever had a round put thru it. For me the extra money is well spent getting a DSA.  Just my two pennies.......
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm seriously thinking about getting a DSA STG58A.  Does anyone know what kind of accuracy I can expect to get with this out of the box?
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm seriously thinking about getting a DSA STG58A.  Does anyone know what kind of accuracy I can expect to get with this out of the box?

Vast majority of FALs will be 2MOA guns at best.

But they do ROCK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top