Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 5:24:09 PM EDT
Future guns on History Channel now.
BP
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The bit on the OCSW was pretty interesting - I actually hadn't heard about OCSW before I watched the show. There's a pretty informative slideshow at www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/ocsw_wea/index.html.

Seems like the OCSW is optimized for relatively stationary targets with frontal cover. The low rate of fire + programmed-distance airburst would do well against somebody in a building, for instance. But I wonder how well it would do against an infantry charge on open terrain - not that we have too many of those these days.

JLS
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the slide
"Airbursts Kill"
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
OCSW is a great big boondoggle.  It won't work.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
how heavy is the ocsw? your right Dave it is big, So are those cameras and things on the land warrior system.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The OICW is an even bigger boondoggle. It's as big as my suitcase, and probably less reliable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
They haven't invented explosives powerful enough to make the air-burst lethal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top