Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 2:35:44 PM EDT
I always shoot whit both eyes open, even on long shots.  But what about the rest of you? Do you shoot with one eye closed?

Someone was telling me that the Marine Corp teaches one eye closed aiming, but I thought that was bogus myself.  What about the rest of you?

-SS
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
for all pistol shooting (both international and NRA Bullseye) I have both eyes open and let the dominant eye rule, with the rifle I cannot getmy left eye to fall into place, has something to do with the rear sight being so close to the eye.  With the rifle, the rear sight is just for looking through, and the pistol I use the rear sight for more.
TRW
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
both eyes open ( ipsc )shooting limited & open gun
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Both eyes here for everthing except shotgun.

I know that's assbackwards but I have been a one eyed shotgunner for so long I can't seem to be able to break myself. It was excrutiatingly painful for me trying to shoot trap with both eyes and seeing guys who couldn't carry my gun case from the car beating me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
handguns - both eyes open

Shotgun - both eyes open

rifle - close range, both eyes open
        beyond 100 yrds, one eye only.

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I know this will sound weird, but, when I was younger I shot right eye dominant, one eye.

Just got back into it a few months back and was hitting the silhoette in the right arm on a center mass aim.

Checked it out. Am now left eye dominant?

So, I am working at shooting left eye with right eye closed.

What difference does it make which hand you use in a two handed pistol stance?

I haven't shot a rifle lately...and I did get glasses two years ago?

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Rifle - one eye
Pistol - two eyes
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Someone was telling me that the Marine Corp teaches one eye closed aiming, but I thought that was bullshit myself.  What about the rest of you?

-SS

its true, usmc teaches to fire with one eye closed ....works very well :D
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You're supposed to open yours eyes when you shoot?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a lazy right eye so shutting it wouldn't make a difference.  The Corps does teach one eye closed, they even make eye patches available, at least they did in '94 when I got out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I am left-eye dominant, but I shoot right-handed, which is a P.I.T.A.  Here's how I've dealt with it:

Pistol
------
I shoot with both eyes open, aiming with my left eye, gun tilted slightly to the left to accomodate the left eye.

Rifle
-----
I either shoot with my left eye closed or shoot with both eyes open with a piece of Scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses to blur the vision in my left eye, so that it yields dominance to the right eye.  My eye doctor told me that he could prescribe a lens for the left eye that would blur my vision slightly, but so far the scotch tape works pretty good.  It's also cheap and removable.

If anyone has other suggestions for a right-handed, left-eye-dominant shooter, I'd love to try them...
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I like to shoot with both eyes open on all close and medium range shots (5-75yds) with all weapons.

I save the one eye shots for home!  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]

You guys actually aim when you shoot?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish i could shoot with both eyes open.  Maybe i'll try that next time i shoot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
No need for aiming, just let them fly.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Two eyes open all guns especially when I use the aimpoint comp ml.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]
two eyes open, but it doesn't really matter since its from the hip
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Shotgun - both eyes open

SGB said it for me already.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Both eyes. Always.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shotgun - both eyes open

SGB said it for me already.

Same here. For long range shots I start with both eyes open and then close the left eye after I'm on target and before I pull the shot off.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Pistol: 2 eyes open
Rifle: short range / CQB : 2 eyes
      long range precision(iron sights): 1 eye
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I can't hit a damn thing if I use both eyes with my AR.

I sight in all my long guns to the left so I can use just the one eye.
It's cool though I'm the only one that can hit anything with my gun,makes me look good.

But like everbody else I go 2 eye open when shooting handgun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am left-eye dominant, but I shoot right-handed, which is a P.I.T.A.  Here's how I've dealt with it:

Pistol
------
I shoot with both eyes open, aiming with my left eye, gun tilted slightly to the left to accomodate the left eye.

Rifle
-----
I either shoot with my left eye closed or shoot with both eyes open with a piece of Scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses to blur the vision in my left eye, so that it yields dominance to the right eye.  My eye doctor told me that he could prescribe a lens for the left eye that would blur my vision slightly, but so far the scotch tape works pretty good.  It's also cheap and removable.

If anyone has other suggestions for a right-handed, left-eye-dominant shooter, I'd love to try them...

When I was in Basic, the cadre made some of the shooters switch dominant eyes. This is done by making the person wear an eye patch over their dominant eye for about a month. Eventually, the dominant eye becomes the one you use the most often, but it apparently is along process.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#26]
My apparently inability to look at gun sights with both eyes open (other than my 870, that is) is part of what led me to put a laser on my 92FS.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Shotgun - both eyes open

Ditto!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know whether it's right or wrong, but I have both my eyes open when I shoot anything. For some reason, if I shoot with one eye closed, esp. with flintlocks, I flinch. With them open, I feel more aware, and in control, and the shots go where I want them to- well, usually :^)...

And yes, I wear eye and ear protection, as should everybody. Ever fire an AR w/o ear protection? OUCH!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I am currently training myself to shoot left handed as I am right handed but left eye dominant. So far I can group as well shooting left as I do right but manipulating the rifle will take some getting use to.

I know what you mean.  I have been forced to shoot left-handed due to an eye injury.  I am still right eye dominant, and right handed, but I can't see much with that side.  I can see well enough to shoot trap righty, but that's about it.

At first I tried to cross my left eye over the stock to aim with the left eye and trigger with the right, but that didn't work too well.  After lots of practice, I have gotten to where I instinctively go lefty with a rifle, and righty with a shotgun.

I suppose that also makes for a great combination!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#30]

I am left-eye dominant and right handed. I have shot rifles lefty for as long as I can remember.
I shoot pistols righty. I have a lot of problems if I try to keep both eyes open, so I put a patch over my right eye. This lets me keep both eyes open (less eye fatigue).

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I am just getting over one-eyed shooting...

-CHuck
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
When I was in Basic, the cadre made some of the shooters switch dominant eyes. This is done by making the person wear an eye patch over their dominant eye for about a month. Eventually, the dominant eye becomes the one you use the most often, but it apparently is along process.

Did they wear the patch 24/7 for 30 days, or just when shooting?  I could handle it just for shooting, but wearing it all the time would be a little tough...
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
SAB..try shooting left handed with your rifle. I can shoot with both eyes open shooting left. Shooting right handed I can't.

I'll have to give it a try.  Been shooting right-handed for over twenty years, though - might be tough to change now!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You're supposed to open yours eyes when you shoot?

You laugh, but I wrote off a potential date when at the club I overheard her complain to another shooter about how her father couldn't deal with the fact that she ALWAYS closed both eyes when she pulled the trigger.  This was on the skeet field, too.  This was someone I'd talked to on the phone a lot, then she "just happened to be in town" (from 3 hrs. away).

Also weighing heavily was when later I figured out that she was using her girlfriend's cell phone and had probably told her (at-work) old man that she was over at the girlfriend's house.

Oh yeah, then she filled me in on how HE was the a**hole in the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top