Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2001 2:43:35 PM EDT
I went to a new range today, it was pretty packed. I waited for 2 hours to get down to the rifle tables,"there are 5",and I pulled out my new AR. You'd thought I pulled out a center-fold of Brittney Speares...I got stares. Most of the shooters had bolt actions and scopes. So I knew I had to ask if it were ok to do my thing.

I was courteous and waited for them to shoot. Then I'd shoot singles then a couple of doubles "target is 100 yds". After the 1st clip...I asked if it were ok to do some rapid-fire.."yeah go ahead",boy was I in for surprise.

Pop,pop,pop...pop,pop,pop,pop.pop..HEY!!!! YOU DO THAT ONE MORE TIME, YOU'RE ASS IS GONE!! One of the moderatrerrr, I mean range officials had come flying out the offices, red-faced and yelling.

So I looked at the "gentlemen" at the other tables....grinnnnnnnnns and snickers all around. "DOn't worry about it, you've never been here before.."
The owner is an a**hole and does'nt like rapid-fire....they said.

Man, I thought..one of the earlier shooters had a 50 bmg just blasting away "not rapid-fire",but BLAM!....BLAM!...BLAM!!

I apologized to the guy who came running out...he said no problem just don't do it...blah,blah,blah...I ask what was the problem, he said the owner does'nt like rapid-fire because it "sounds" like full-auto???

Is this normal across the country? The other range I went to, had no such policy. I was just curious...well, $10 to shoot my 3 guns for twenty minutes.

New to the range experience,
NAKED

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Every single range in DFW that I have been to, do not allow any sort of rapid fire.  The only one that did, was because the range officer on duty let us do it on the pistol range... but that was a one time thing.  It's against policy at every range I got to.

They all have told me the same story, that since the range is not enclosed, you will always get those numnutz who dont shoot much, and want to come out and just blow stuff up.  When rapid firing, they can lose control of their weapon, and bullets potentially could leave the range grounds.

Leave them open for lawsuit and insurance problems.

I dont mind it... as long as they are not too damn anal about it.  One shot every two seconds pisses me off.... but I have to abide by their rules... they own the range and get to set them.

No FMJ bullets pisses me off a LOT more, since the only HP/SP that are decent in .223 cost a lot of dough....
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
the no rapid fire rule is standard at most ranges. And the stares when you uncase your
AR-15 are also common. don't worry about it. the other guys should have told you when you asked.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I got spanked for this last week at the range...I don't give a crap about their "idea" of the rules...They make sure NOT to post the rules so they get your $$$ first...The whole idea of rapid fire is crazy!!! It's all subjective...What I think rapid fire is may be different from what you think it is...Anyways who in the world doesn't want to go thru and least one 30 rounder quickly...
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
No fully automatic weapons and no rapid fire (2 seconds between shots) is the rule at every range I've been to.  (The reason is that it is almost impossible for a range officer to keep everybody shooting safe.  Rapid fire, in the hands of someone inexperienced, can result in an out-of-control situation.  If somebody gets hurt, the range officer is subject to legal action if he/she failed to enforce the rules.

Ah well, go with the flow, and keep it slow.

(At least they don't stare at me...service weapons are common at the ranges I shoot at.)
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The real kick in the nutz for me was...someone suggested this place as a great place for that purpose. No signs anywhere with directives against rf..NONE.

The other "gentlemen" were just yanking my chain and "breaking" me in..I laughed too,after I knew I'd been had. The insurance and other concerns seems plausible to me...thanks guys. Guess I'm going back to my Uncle's farm.

The other range has  tons of space and their rifle range is wayyy on the other side and out of view. Most people shoot skeet there...don't seem to mind the boom,boom away from them.

I won't go back to "nf,rf" range except to take up on some generous offers to shoot some great guns...the M-14's,Garands and the 50 cal. in paticular..great guys at the range..for 2 hours I learned a ploethera of knowledge. Great buncha guys,(Gun NUTZ)[%I] that I've met...really nice.

I'm lernin' ma,
NAKED
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]

We've got a 600yrd practice range at my club that is full auto OK, even .50 cal M2s

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I am fortunate.  There are 2 public ranges within 40 min of here, both run by the state.  They used to allow anything, machine guns, whatever.  Then too many jerks blew it for the rest of us, now, no more machine guns.  Below is the range I like the best.  It cost $4 per day and they have snacks and stuff at reasonable prices.  Very friendly and they do not hassle anyone.  This range is controlled, the other one is not.  This range has a 100 yard max range, but the other one has a 225 yard range.

This range is located in Kingsbury, which is south of LaPorte, Indiana.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet it's loud as hell under that roof of concrete!! Wow!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Man that place is beautiful!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
We get to bang.bang.bang them out pretty well at thge range- there pretty cool(100ydsindoors) Anything but 50bmg
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Our range rules read:

You may not fire strings on any range at a rate that precludes your being able to aim each shot.

This used to mean 1 shot per second.  We successfully argued that the rule would actually allow for shooting as fast as you could pull the trigger on something like a 10-22.  It worked.  We can do double taps, even some fairly rapid strings now with the AR-15s.

They are still real jerks and hassle us every time we go there.

The old farts on the bench rests that only shoot 1 round per hour just don't like our evil black rifles.

We even had an irate man from the Juniors program run up and grab one of our guys as he was shooting and tried to tell us "we were scaring the juniors" and "we were violating the 1 shot per second rule".  Once we shut him down on those items, then he tried to claim it was "customary" that we had to set up farther down range from the juniors.  Geeze, we were already probably 20 benches away!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]

The old farts on the bench rests that only shoot 1 round per hour just don't like our evil black rifles.[/]

Damn...was'nt gonna say anything. But, why in the hell, does it take them sooooo long to shoot? Breathe in....breathe out, Shoot? Is this common protocol for the looong rangers?i.e. old flatulances..

Not to demean or flame these guys....100 yds and it takes 5 minutes? When I used to go deer hunting...you got one shot with a rifle,maybe 2. I'm sure perfection takes time....but, good Lord.

And when Mr. Black-trouble-in-a-bag comes out...ruh,roh. I guess the "assault" hype causes them to stir.

I was in the wrong...period. Seems as though I've chosen a black sheep as a pet....I'll learn.

At least I have my ps-2 bang,bang game,

NAKED
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Man macloud, that's a nice range! Out here in New Mexico all we have is sand!! The benches are covered, but no nice shade trees and grass, not to mention a snack bar. Jeez, I'm jealous, although full auto is ok, but only on one short range.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
This range is located on an old Army Munitions Base.  The place is huge, I think around 6000 acres.  There is also a large nature preserve as well.  Many places are off limits due to the fact that after the war, they buried tons of ammunition in the ground, every where.  Neat place.

This is actually the second range on this spot.  The first one was closed after someone took an M60 and shot a few old buildings up, hence the no machine gun rule now.  Its only been open since June of this year.

This place + muzzle brakes = headache.  If we shoot allot, I usually come home with a headache.  One good thing about the roof is the rain protection.  It poured one day, and the roof saved us,(and the guns), from getting soaked.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in an area with 5 ranges anywhere from 15 min to an hour away.
Some are real scat holes others are pretty good.

Only one has a "written policy" prohibiting full auto or rapid fire, that range just happens to be a haven for the once a year rifleman too.

All the rest have an "unwritten policy" allowing it unless the R. O.  wants to play God.

I swear these people that dislike rapid fire so much must be blatantly ignorant.
Most competitive shooting sports mandate rapid fire strings in so many seconds during a given match.

I didn't buy my mega tweaked AR-15, shooting coat and my kowa so i could shoot it like a  bench gun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#16]

I didn't buy my mega tweaked AR-15, shooting coat and my kowa so i could shoot it like a  bench gun.

I have to agree more, I dont think anyone would like to shoot AR-15 like a bench gun, they were made for blasting, not sniping... bench shooting is best done with bolt actions...
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
At the ranges I go the rule is: If you can do it SAFELY, it's OK.  Occasionally an off duty cop will bring a full auto and it's kosher with us.

One of the ranges prohibits .50 BMGs though, too loud.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:10:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I got tired of all the bullshit rules at the 2 clubs I belonged to and the 1 public range where I used to go so, I bought my own.

Now I have permanent target stands at 70, 125, 195, and 310 yards. I have metal gongs, a pistol area and a 37mm "drop zone" for my experimental loads. My 15x25 heated reloading/gunsmithing shop is 25 yards away from the concrete pad where you can see all target areas so, load developement is a joy, not a hassle. I built a super heavy picnic table with an extra elbow extension on the right side for benchrest shooting.

I can shoot whatever, and whenever I feel the urge.

AAAAHHHH! Heaven !

Last year some dude bought 27 acres behind me and built a big house. I was working out of state at the time so there wasn't any shooting going on during his construction. After I got back and started shooting again, he called the township cops on me. Me and a buddy had eveil black rifles, M1as, M1carbines, FN/FALs, 8mmMausers, Garands, FN49, and several others all laying out on a table when he walked around the barn. I could tell he was a little nervous and he goes; "Man, you've got some really nice stuff here, we don't have ARs that nice in the department". Then he tells me that the guy behind me is in a panic but he says it looks like I have a well constructed and safe range. Then he asks if I'm shooting any tracers and I say no, since it's daylight (he didn't ask about the night before):-). Then he asks if I've got any full auto and I say "Nah, I wish I could afford one".

Then he says "well, sorry to bother you, have a nice day sir".

I'm sure my new neighbor hates my guts but I was here first and I can't help it if he built a 1/4 million dollar house directly behind a firing range.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#19]
My favorite range only allows "rapid fire" on the 40 yd tin can range w/ 22lr. It's suposed to be one shot every 2 seconds for everything else.

My dad and I regularly sit at the 100 yard tin can range banging away a litlle faster than that. We generally shoot tricked out 10/22's with high power scopes. As long as we don't go 'auto" on them they leave us alone. I have never just banged away with my AR. I usaully practice shooting from position.

The range I go to has alot of bolt guys. We still get AR's and AK's out there. I gather alot of attention when I bring out the centerfires. Something about .30 cal semi autos that draws attention.  That and I shoot from standing or sitting positions and not on the bench. The bolt guys all come buy and talk to my dad... resident old guy... about the "military" hardware.  I shoot well away from where the bolt guys are... so I don't rain brass on anyone. The regular old timers are ex or retired miltary and enjoy seing that stuff being used. I have goten great hardware advice from the old guys you would expect to be snearing at ya. Kinda neat considering Im in this liberal shit hole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top