Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2001 3:41:45 AM EDT
I was given as a birthday gift a North American Arms .22 Mini pistol. This tiny device weighs only 4 oz and fits in my closed hand. Which brand of ammo? Hollow points? Stingers? Yellow-jackets? With a barrel of 1 or so does it really matter?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was given as a birthday gift a North American Arms .22 Mini pistol. This tiny device weighs only 4 oz and fits in my closed hand. Which brand of ammo? Hollow points? Stingers? Yellow-jackets? With a barrel of 1 or so does it really matter?

One of the things I love about rimfire is that the majority of ammo is inexpensive. Buy a few boxes at your local mom and pop gun dealer, be sure and try some Aguilla Sniper SubSonic and some hyper velocity ammo and begin testing. Old phone books are a medium I have heard used for penetration testing with rimfire.

I have not shot any of the minis nor do I know anyone that has but I think you might be able to find an ammo that it shows a preference to over others. Testing might serve you well along with getting a bit of range time in which is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If you mean for self-defense purposes I use stingers. For anything else I use Remington Golden Bullets.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
First I'd email NAA to see if they have any suggestions.  Then I'd get a few boxes of everything from the Quikshok, Aguila SS, Stingers and some standard velocity stuff.  Use a good target at very short range and find out not only what velocity, weight works well, but which ones don't keyhole from the short barrel.

Let us know what you find out, as I've always wanted one of these.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Look for rounds intended to produce maximum velocity in pistol barrels.  Meaningful expansion is unlikely and possibly undesirable at low velocities - best you can hope for is to get the round on target at higher subsonic speeds.

Canadians have another option: remove the 1" barrel and replace it with a 115mm barrel.  I know, it wrecks the lines - but it makes the gun restricted instead of prohibited, as well as adding a bit more velocity and sight radius.  Silly regulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top