Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2001 11:46:03 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting one of these.

How long is the barrel and can you hit anything out to 15-20 yards?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:59:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a close-combat gun.  It's designed for one thing in mind, and that's to be an easy to carry gun used to extricate yourself from a dangerous situation.  The barrel's something like 3-3.5".  I've been very happy with mine, and I carry it regularly.  I've had no malfunctions, and I've owned and shot it for about 6 years now.  I bought one of the first ones off the production line.  It's been battered and abused, but has always worked for me.  

I like it because it was so easy to carry when I lived in FL.  Shorts and a t-shirt were the most I'd wear in FL 10 months out of the year.  It's easy to live with.  Like just grabbing your keys before you leave the house.  Not like having to get all rigged up for combat.  Now here in VA, it's still my most carried gun.  

You shouldn't have a problem hitting a man out to 20yds.  I don't think you'll be trying any head shots though.  It does "buck and bark" pretty good, and it's not something I take shooting at the range for fun.  I usually just shoot it at the end of a range session to make sure it works and rotate the ammo out the fun way.  

I chose it because it met the following requirements:

Cost: Mine was something like $200 back then.

Size: Small enough to stick into a pocket if I had too.  I have the belt clip on mine, and it slows down presentation, but it really works in concealment, and I don't need a holster.

Weight: It's light!

Caliber: 9mm isn't bad for a pocket gun.

Ease of carry: I wanted something that would not require me to do anything extra or special to carry it.  The easier it is to deal with, the more likely it would be that I'll have it when I need it.

I gave up some accuracy and ease of firing for the above.  It's a trade-off I made willingly.  I'm not going to hunt after crimminals.  I'm not going to run around and "play cop".  I'm not going to be faced by the mongrel horde.  I needed a gun that I could use when all else failed (including running) to stop an assault (and allow me to run some more).  

Also the factory is right there in Cocoa Beach, so you're helping a business in your own state .  They have no warranty, but they've always stood behind their product.  I know of folks that sent their gun back to them when it didn't work, and Kel-Tec built them a whole new gun with the old serial number for free.  

I would recommed that you try one out before you buy it (as with any gun).  Some people hate them.  

Ross
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Like Ross, mine is one of the very early ones.  It's reliable with nearly any factory ammo, and with practice you can hit a man-sized target to maybe a bit beyond 20 yards.  Trigger is long and heavy though, not nearly as nice as on their P32.

It does carry well, though it is a bit thick.  I bought a Kahr K9 at the same time, then a P9 a bit later.  The Kahrs are considerably higher quality, much better trigger, much flatter, and over twice the price.  Which do I carry?  Mostly the Kahr P9.  It's just comforting to know I can hit something at a distance if I need to.

Would I sell my P11?  No, it has it's place too.

Pat
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]

They have no warranty...

Actually, they do.  It's original owner only, so they might harass you about proving you bought it new, but they do warranty it for as long as you own it.  You need to give them a hard time about things that are actually a problem, like terrible initial quality, difficulty getting parts, etc..z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top