Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2001 6:22:09 PM EDT
I've decided to get a 16" Bushy carbine but need some help on a couple issues:

Std. A2 sites vs. Removable handle; I'll be using the rifle for plinking, varminting and as a SHTF rifle so I'll probably need a low power scope--I doubt if I'll need to shoot more than 200 yards. Does it make sense to go with a std. A@ sight system and then buy a scope that fits to the carry handle or go with a removable handle and mount the scope on the top of the rifle? Given what I'm trying to do with the rifle, Not a all sure on this...

Basic carbine with short grips or the dissipator..; the shorty has a break,the dissi looks like it doesn't; any other differences?
Thanks for any help in advance
Mike
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Dissy with an A2 config (carry handle)
It is a great rifle but at times I wish I opted for the flat top.
More versatile.
The carry handle mounts are not the strongest. The ACOGS are the execption. Their mount is solid
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If you aren't sure whether or not you are getting a scope, I'd go with the Flattop.  You can put a scope on it, or you can put the carry handle on it and see what you like.  Personally I wasn't planning to use a scope.  I figured for long range shooting I'd go with a .30 cal bolt action.  I bought the Shorty AK with the fixed handle.  After researching it more, in the future I plan on building/buying myself the m4 upper, probably flattop but I'll also get the carry handle.  I love the versitility of being able to decide do I want open sights or optics.

Now about the Brake...Personally I wished I bought it without one.  It's very loud.  when I get the M4 upper, I'll probably get it with a plain muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely buy your Bushy WITH removable carry handle, you have more options. It only costs maybe $30.00 more, but if you were to buy a flattop and later wanted a handle, the handle will cost about $90.00. Then you can mount your scope however you like, on the flattop or you can buy a $12.00 mount that goes on top of your handle.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]
If you really want it as a SHTF gun, you NEED A1 sights or at least a fixed carry handle. When you're tromping through the brush ect, REMOVABLE=BAD. All those emergency sights for flat tops are cool, but are not as reliable as fixed irons on a carry handle. Gooseneck mounts for aimpoints work good w/ the carry handle and the acogs mount great. Optics can fail and then you have your irons right there attached and ready to rock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you really want it as a SHTF gun, you NEED A1 sights or at least a fixed carry handle. When you're tromping through the brush ect, REMOVABLE=BAD. All those emergency sights for flat tops are cool, but are not as reliable as fixed irons on a carry handle. Gooseneck mounts for aimpoints work good w/ the carry handle and the acogs mount great. Optics can fail and then you have your irons right there attached and ready to rock.

Best advice I've seen on this thread.

Other options I'd do with the A1 type upper.

1) Replace the front sight with a TRIJICON brand tritium front sight.  The Trijicon system is the best and closest to GI.

2) Replace the rear aperture with an A.O. Sights same plane rear sight (no tritium needed).  At night use the large ghost ring, during the day the smaller hole.

Zero at 50 yards and you are good to go!

For a tough scope I really recommend the Compact ACOG.  Get it in 2x or 3x, my preference is for the triangular reticule.

If you can do without the maganification (and for 200 yards you really don't need it) then get a Reflex 2 with the 12 MOA triangular reticule. It is military tough (the 4moa dot version is in use by the military) allows for quick QCB shots and precise long range shots (use the triangles tip).  It also mounts inline with the iron sights (out front).  This give you the most optimal mount possible (dot sights work best when out over the barrel) and still allows use of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I got the LEGP and am so glad it is the flat top.  Right now I have the ARMS #40 flip up mount on it right now I would not hesitate to take it anywhere. If you are in so much brush and crap that your "Removable" site comes off your in way over your head anyway.  I am saving money for a reflex to put on it in the future.  and keep the flip up irons.  You won't have any problem with the flat-top as long as you buy top quality mounts.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you are in so much brush and crap that your "Removable" site comes off your in way over your head anyway.  

If that's the cas stay home.  Obviously if your rifle (or you) can't handle the real world.

With a fixed carryhandle you never forget your sights, then never come loose, they will take more abuse, and with the A1 system it can't be 'accidentally' changed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top