Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2001 3:14:53 PM EDT
... how to remove the buffer tube after removal of the stock? Do you just turn it, or is there more to it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just un-screw it but be sure to grab the buffer retaining pin and spring as you do.

Do you mean once it starts to turn?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Secure the receiver in a vise (USE A RECEIVER BLOCK. DON'T CLAMP THE RECEIVER IN THE VISE DIRECTLY!!!!) The end of the buffer tube has wrench flats. It might be quite snug. Take care to not round off the wrench flats. When you reinstall the tube, be sure to us anti-sieze compound on the threads to prevent galling. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just un-screw it but be sure to grab the buffer retaining pin and spring as you do.

Do you mean once it starts to turn?

Gunner, Yes, the Buffer tube is holding the retaining pin in.  When you put it back you'll need to hold it down again while you screw in the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW, I used a strap wrnch on the buffer tube itself.  I tried a wrench at the end, but it started maring it, so I went to Sears and bought a strap wrench.  I also used the strap wrench to install the tele style buffer tube and nut.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I do:

Push the buffer back and pull outr the lil. pin.
Pull out the buffer and spring and your good to go.

This is what I do if I need to clean inside the tube but it makes it easy to take the hole ass. off to if you want.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not send the guy to the AR15 webpage that has the Military manual. That way he can download it (or use one of the other pages that Ed has provided), read it, and gain more knowledge about the AR15.
www.ar15.com/articles/index.html?cat=11
Of course I could be wrong....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top