Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2001 12:09:14 PM EDT
Like I said before I'm about two or three months away from going in to the Army and after that Airborne and RIP school and I wanted to get an AR-15 so I could get the feel how an M-16 is going to shoot like and also so I can score higher when shooting.

Ok I found a nice RRA rifle and I can get it in 16 or 20" barrel for no extra charge. Flat top is $10 less then the carry handle one. So it's only a $10 difference between the rifles.

What I'd like to know what one do you think I should get and would be the most help full to me now. Thanks for the help.

I can't pass up the price on these rifles $575 for the carry handle and $565 for the flat top both new.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to get a M-4 config rifle... ABN and Ranger units use thesewith 14.5 in barrels so try to get a 16 in  barrel, it will be the closest you'll find to govt issue.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Carry handles are for luggage.Go for one without.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The Standard A2 is probally what you willl fire in the army. Only the special units get the M-4 anymore
but either would work. Get the 16" or 20" Carry Handle, seeing as how the sights are in the carry handle and the army won't issue a scope unless you are a nighttime special forces unit or a sniper.
I don't know much about the military. So take my advoce with a grain of salt
-Chuck
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the standard A2 with 20" barrel.

1. This is as close as you can get to the rifle you'll be qualifying with.

2. It's a classic.

The site radius of a 16" is shorter, thus inherently harder to aim more accurately.  If you practice with what you're going to use in qualifying you'll do better in qualifications and improve your chances of getting into a special unit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get the standard A2 with 20" barrel.

1. This is as close as you can get to the rifle you'll be qualifying with.

2. It's a classic.

The site radius of a 16" is shorter, thus inherently harder to aim more accurately.  If you practice with what you're going to use in qualifying you'll do better in qualifications and improve your chances of getting into a special unit.

I am in a similar position as tayous1.  I have my eyes on the standard 20 inch A2 bushmaster.  Elsewhere people have recommended that I get a "government profile" barrel for it instead of the standard.  Does anyone know how significant this would be in making the AR as close to an M16A2 as possible?  How much more would it cost?  It appears that you can't get something like this direct from bushmaster, so where do you go for it?

Or is the standard heavy barrel good enough?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
M16A2 has a heavey barrel, same as your AR-15 A2. The earlier version, A1, had the lighter weight or sometimes refered to as the government profile barrel.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the '80s when I was in the Corps, an M16A2 had what was called a government profile barrel. Light under the handguards, heavier in front of the front sight. I believe it was the M16 and M16A1 that had the lightweight barrel. I can imagine what rifle PT would be like with an HBAR.
Steve
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the A2 with a 20
It is what you will use unless you get to put a scroll on yer shoulder.
Still R/B use 20" quite a bit.
I opted for a Bushy Dissapator as it has the long sight radius and sports a 16"
Good luck at Merrill
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The only time he would be using a A-2 will be in basic training. If he has ABN or Ranger in his contract he will be using a M-4. I would know because I use that weapon now. I would buy one or the other if you just wanted to get one but if your looking to get one like you will be using then go with the M-4 config.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Guess things have changed.
Are all ABN units using M4`s? Makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Guess things have changed.
Are all ABN units using M4`s? Makes sense.

I'm not saying all but most are. Most meaning that they are true ABN units and not just ABN designated. Like 82d vs. 1st COSCOM. (Real vs. designated)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top