Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2001 11:31:57 AM EDT
A local dealer has the following items on sale:

Savage 10FP in .308 for $399.98
Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14 x 40mm for $359.98

It seems like a good way for me to a .30 caliber bolt action. But is it worth it?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The price is about right for the Savage, and with the exception of the crappy stock and trigger, I've heard nothing but good about the 10/110FP.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my grand slam!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a good price,  I'd take it if i had the cash.  Savage rifles are pretty much the most accurate out of the box.  Mine shoots better than my buddys ruger77MkII and his Sendero.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I have a Savage 110FP....same thing just long action in .308.

As for the Grand Slam scope I haven't a clue so go with what the guys tell you.

As for the Savage...Went I bought mine I hated the cheap plastic stock and there is nothing that can be done with it IMHO. It is flimsy, light and the recoil was gonna eat me up...Little guy ya know.

photoasa.com/disk2/3063/70697_Savage.jpg

That is the way I picked it up.

Shortly after I ordered a stock, fixed the trigger (adjusting is easy) changed the scope and it was much better

photoasa.com/disk2/3063/88203_Sav110fp.jpg

As for fit and finish...Savage puts out a quality rifle. Quality beyond some of the high dollar makers in the fact they still button rifle each barrel...Lost art unless you are spending big bucks for a custom gun.

A drop in SS trigger will make everything a lot smoother and costs about $80.00 from Brownell's. Stock above is $179.00 from them as well....I happen to have a friend who I better would fix you up at dealer cost and save you some bucks

Okay so way to much black...out comes the airbrush.

photoasa.com/disk2/3063/96336_SavC2.jpg

But the great thing is with trades, switching this for that and what not I am in the complete rig for less than $800.00 including SA 1st Gen 4x14x56 scope....

Even better is to go to the range and get practice groups like this while still breaking the barrel in....Not a believer but I modified the barrel break in deal, shoot it a few times, let it cool and shoot 4 more, let it cool and 4 more...now clean it.

So with a simple Savage and a rookie shooter using cheap rounds...I am happy

photoasa.com/disk2/3063/87927_110FPgroup.jpg

So what if the re sale is not great....for $400 and a lot of great groups who can complain?

I will further offer up this link and gives the low down on the Savage Single shot....same bolt, same rifle just no mag well.

precisionshooting.com/dec99.html

Just my opinion and ya know everyone has one.

Oh, I own pre 64 models 70's too so ya can't say I am bias..

Karsten
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, I have a Savage 110FP....same thing just long action in .308.

According to Savage's website, the .308 is only availabe in short action.

What's the difference betweem long and short action on a bolt rifle?  Why would I want one, over the other?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The short action saves weight. not much though.  Itis also just a hair bit stiffer platform to work with although i cant tell the difference.  If ya go with the short action it might give ya a headache if you ever want to be able to rechamber the rifle in a longer cartrige like say a 30-06. The longer bullets wont fit into the shorter magazine. Besides that about the only difference you will probably notice is how far you have to pull the bolt back.  Fer me it doesnt matter how long the action isas long as im out shootin.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Ah yes...the confussion between 110FP and 10FP and the .308

You see Savage only made one action up until the mid 80's for the majority of it's bolt actions....it was a long action.

Competition forced them into making a short action for the .308 and below.

The action is indeed heavier by a few ouncesand I have been told (just told) a bit sturdier to handle the 300 WM and above.

Karsten
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A drop in SS trigger will make everything a lot smoother and costs about $80.00 from Brownell's.

What brand is the trigger? Timny? How hard is it to install?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The trigger I was refering to is a Sharp Shooters supply one piece unit.

It akes about 10 Minutes to install and that was the 1st one I had ever played with.

Then you just sit and adjust it out of the stock until you get it where you want it. Work the bolt, safety and trigger and lighten as needed.

If you can get someone with a dealers account to order the stock for you you can save enough the get the trigger at the same time.

If need be I know someone with a Brownell's account that could help.

Karsten
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Peter, I bought my 10FP from Turners last time it was on sale earlier this year. At $399 it's not the lowest price around but if you were to order it through a dealer you would have to add shipping and FFL fees so it's basically a wash. Go for it.

The Grand Slam is a good scope but I prefer a scope with target knobs on my setup. BTW, Natchez Shooter's Supply has that same scope on sale right now for $299. All their other Weaver Grand Slam scopes are on sale too. www.natchezss.com/
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I purchased a 10 FP about a year ago for $380.00 and I have not regretted it a bit. First thing you want to do is scrap the junk factory stock , the one I bought is the tactical/varmint stock from Sharp Shooter Supply , it will run around $225.00. Then scrap the trigger, Timney makes a great one . The scope is up to you , I have Leupold mounts and rings with a Super Sniper 10x42 mounted on top. I am amazed how well these rifles shoot, they will easily run with the big boys all day long for a lot less money. Mine shoots consistent 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds.BTW its a .308 . Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my 10FP for $405 and put in a Sharpshooter trigger, a Choate Varminter stock and 2nd Gen SA 4-14x56 scope and it will consistently shoot .5 moa. I like it alot!

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Now a follow up question:

How easy / difficult is it to do the retrofitting (stock and trigger replacement) described in the answers above?

I'm reasonably mechanically adept but I have 0 experience maintaining, let alone modifying, a bolt action rifle. Is this something I should be able to do on my own or will I need to find a gunsmith to take care of this for me?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The stock is a simple drop-in. Just a couple of screws to remove and replace it.

Replacing the trigger isn't complicated but you'll have to adjust it once it's in. I'm sure you can do it but if you're not comfortable messing with triggers have a gunsmith do it. Just make sure you cycle the bolt and dry fire it ALOT before taking it to the range for wet fire, to make sure it's safe.

Actually, the factory trigger is fully adjustable but it comes from the factory set around 8 lbs., or at least mine did. I was able to adjust it to about 2 lbs. with just a slight hint of creep. The factory trigger can get unsafe real fast if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. I followed the instructions I found on snipercountry.com and several other websites.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I own a Savage 110FP and paid a similar price for mine a few years ago and I think it is a great rifle.  My only problem is with the recoil, which it sounds from other posts may be related to the lightweight stock.  I thought that the heavy bull barrel would absorb more of the kick but it does not.  I put a Harris bipod on it and have quite satisfied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top