Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 10:04:52 PM EDT
I recall a few members referring to a AR rifle dealer in the north Houston area.
I think it was up near Spring or Conroe.

Any help appreciated.

THX
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I lived in the Houston area a few years ago, and used to buy from a dealer at the corner of Bammel N. Houston and Veteran's Memorial.  I believe that the name is Discount Guns Warehouse.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not absolutely sure, but I saw AR "looking"
rifles in the Carter's Country on Treschwig.
They also sell used weapons.
And they have a full range.

I'm usually there on Sat or Sun at pistol range.
I'm the fat guy with the pretty redhead. She's yelling at me that her damn silhouette target is flapping so much in the wind that she can't bullseye the head or whatever? Or she's asking me questions about this or that while I'm firing my kp 90 and cursing about the low shoots?

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I know it is not North Houston but Fountain Firearms is worth the trip. They are on Hwy.6 south. Very nice, friendly people with a great inventory.
I have driven down there from Dallas.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Try out Shooter's Station off of 105 West in Conroe.  Tell them Derek sent you.  They have always treated me right, and unlike a lot of stores, they know what they're talking about.  Plus, they have an indoor pistol range.  I think they're about 5 miles from I45 on the north side.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I lived in the Houston area a few years ago, and used to buy from a dealer at the corner of Bammel N. Houston and Veteran's Memorial.  I believe that the name is Discount Guns Warehouse.

I use to go there alot in the past..I think they were bought by someone new...They do usually have a decent selection, BUT the new people seem to have that typical gun shop employee attitude(you know buy something or get lost). I am looking forward to more input on this thread as I am in the market for a new weapon and would like to spend it with someone who will at least say thank you...BTW anyone know what happened to the shop on 59 south called Gunwerks??? They were real cool to deal with...I have been by several times and no out of biz sign..just a sign that reads closed due to owners illness...Anyone know??
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am not absolutely sure, but I saw AR "looking"
rifles in the Carter's Country on Treschwig.
They also sell used weapons.
And they have a full range.

Hey!  I live really close to there and that's where I prefer to shoot.  I've never seen an AR for sale there, but it would probably be a Colt if they did carry any.  I know the young blonde lady with the Cat's Eyes glasses that works behind the counter seems to know a lot about them though.

I'm usually there on Sat or Sun at pistol range.
I'm the fat guy with the pretty redhead. She's yelling at me that her damn silhouette target is flapping so much in the wind that she can't bullseye the head or whatever? Or she's asking me questions about this or that while I'm firing my kp 90 and cursing about the low shoots?

Cheers

We should get together some time.  I know Brouhaha is up here too.  I always miss the planned Houston shooting trips, but I'd love to meet some of you guys.  I even look all respectable now.

As far as shops up in N. Houston, I know Sportsmans Outlet off 1960 East in Humble has Bushmasters, but I don't remember what their prices are like.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am pretty sure they go by The Gun Store now.  They are on the side of a Krogers shopping center.  Collectors has alot of nice over-priced things, but I do go in for about an hour whenever I am in town to look around.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, I'm telling you guys that Shooter's Station is the place to go.  They don't want you to leave.  They like just chatting as long as it's not busy.  I was in there last night making a payment on my NIB Colt SP2.  I sat there chatting, and before I knew it, it was 9:30.  They closed 30 minutes before.  Yet they didn't care.  I go shooting with a few of their employees almost every Sunday up in Willis.  It's worth the drive just to find a nice place.  And for those that go to Carter's, this place does not charge by the gun!  It's a flat rate.  It's indoor.  There's no wind.  It's clean.  Try it! Try it! Try it!  
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like we need to get together for some shooting.  I need to meet some of you militant types anyway!!!

I second the nod to check out fountain firearms.  All a bunch of great guys and they trust me enough to let me wander behind the counters and coon finger what I want.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been doing business with a company called
Collins firearms.  The owner John is really a good guy to work with.  He has helped me out on an occasion where I had a so called "gunsmith"
in the Houston area broke a lower of mine.  I started doing business with him back when they were doing shows in spring.
www.collinsarms.com
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Bouhaha,

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they were AR's or not. I blame myself.
Shooter's Station in Conroe sounds good, but are they open on Sunday? My bride and I end up shooting on Sundays quite often at Carter's.

We are taking our CHL on the 17th there and will, no doubt, be there this Sunday shooting, and possibly one night during next week.

I have been shooting for a long time, but took about a 10 yr hiatus until recently, so knowing an AR by sight is not my forte.

If I narrow down the time I'll be there, I'll post or email.

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#12]
OOPS, mispelled Brouhaha and forgot to address it to God Bless Texas (genuflec, genuflec, take a sip of Lone Star, scream "Remember the Alamo, Remember Goliad, tear up while singing "The Eyes of Texas")

My bride really wants to shoot indoors, so we may hit Shooter's station Saturday....
Is there target ammo (.45 and 9mm) as cheap as Carter's?

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As far as shops up in N. Houston, I know Sportsmans Outlet off 1960 East in Humble has Bushmasters, but I don't remember what their prices are like.

If you live near Humble I think Sportsman's is the nicest indoor range around!  
Friendly & just a flat rate, none of this per gun crap that Carter's charges.
I personally can't stand Carter's but that's another thread.
 Jerry Fountain's place out off Hwy. 6 is a great place to shop for just about anything & they're friendly.
  Collector's is has nice stuff but expen$ive!
There is another place down off Richmond I think called Pace's guns that is nice, also pricey.
 I prefer to do most of my gun buying at the Astrohall a few times a year.
 I need to call DSA back & get the name of that dealer in Spring.

OH yeah , one more place that is super friendly,knowledgeable & carries just about every brand
is Tomball Pawn & Gun(think that's the right name) up off F.M. 249 in Tomball.
 Always have a great selection of used guns too.

If you want to do long range rifle shooting or hi-power rifle matches Bayou Rifles Inc. is a
great gun club,founded in 1936 or something.
The big rifle range is way down south off Hwy. 288 near Pearland.  
They also have a rimfire & pistol range off of I-10 near the Addicks resevoir.

I think there is another centerfire rifle range or club near Beaumont.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Randy,

Yes, they are open on Sundays.  I think until 6, but I'm not sure.  There target ammo is fairly cheap, but I couldn't give you a quote.  I rarely buy ammo from a gunshop.  I order off the internet, and use the savings to buy the guns (at higher cost than the internet) from my local store.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I took the CHL class at Carters last sunday and the instructor was great, I would recommend to all in the Houston area.  Have found a good DMPS dealer off 610 N, The Gun Store LLC.  Just bought a DPMS "DCM" for $825.  He carries the full DPMS line..  
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have found a good DPMS dealer off 610 N, The Gun Store LLC.  Just bought a DPMS "DCM" for $825.  He carries the full DPMS line..  

Where off the North Loop ??

East or West of I45,Hwy59,Hardy Toll Rd.,Hwy290??

THX
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought my AR-10T up at Discount Guns Warehouse. They are on Veterans Memorial in North Houston. They had other AR rifles there and other things too.

DISCOUNT GUNS WAREHOUSE, INC
City: HOUSTON    State: TX    Zip: 77014
Phone #: (281)586-9818
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Didn't the owner of Pace gun shop fired some guy's HK91 (or somthing like that) cuz he thought it was full auto?

Is Sportsman's near Tour 18 golf course?  
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Didn't the owner of Pace gun shop fired some guy's HK91 (or somthing like that) cuz he thought it was full auto?

Is Sportsman's near Tour 18 golf course?  

1) If I remember correctly Sportman's Outlet is a bit further west on FM 1960 from the Tour 18.

2)  I believe you are thinking of someone at Ammo Dump firing someone's HK 94 to see if it was full auto.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Cnatra - Call Mike Gottesman @ 713-674-7887, and leave a message.  He is also at most of the local shows. I think one is this coming weekend, 11/17 to Astrohall.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:...BTW anyone know what happened to the shop on 59 south called Gunwerks??? They were real cool to deal with...I have been by several times and no out of biz sign..just a sign that reads closed due to owners illness...Anyone know??

Evidently, one of the owner/partners (he was the gunsmith too) had a heart attack.  I saw one of the employees at the arena show and he told me they were closed for good.  I saw the other owner hanging out with the knife/cheap switchblade woman at the same show but he wouldn't elaborate.  Too bad, they were good to do business with.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Jim Pruett, formerly of morning radio fame opened a shop in north Houston recently.  I haven't been able to get up there yet and check it out.  He's always raffling off AR15s and such at the gun shows, so I would guess his shop has them.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lurks or even posts here under a nom de plume.

www.jimpruett.net/
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I stopped by Jim Pruett's shop the other day.  Has a nice selection and is willing to work with you.  He is located just north of Hwy 6 on Huffmeister.  I think he said he wants to make about $75/gun.

Did his radio show get canned (KLOL,FM101.1)??  I guess I will find out for sure in the morning.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Doctorfireant, yes, his show was canned sometime last week.  Sure wish I knew what happened.  I keep checking Pruett's shop's website, hoping he'll post something.  They probably have a gag-order or something similar in effect.  When "Stevens" left the show I don't think they ever mentioned him again.

Jim always seemed like a good guy, hate to see him lose his gig.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Texason,

I think I will drop by his store on the way home from work.  I pass pretty close to it and ask him or his wife, she is usually there, what happened.  I also want to see if he has one of the new Taurus Titanium 357's, hammerless, concealed carry.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I stopped by Jim Pruett's Guns and Ammo over lunch.  Basically the morning show was becoming too controversial for Clear Channels (organization that bought KLOL) tastes at this time.  I expect Jim and company would not be "yes" men.  Jim said he had a 6 month "non-compete" clause.  Watch out after that time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#27]
In Houston, at lease on the SW side, there are several decent shops (e.g. Fountain Firearms, Ammo Dump, and Pace's Guns); but, stay the hell away from Collector's Firearms on Richmond @ Fondren.  Their weapons and other items are so overpriced that one cannot help but feel violated when making a purchase.  It is almost criminal how those guys try to f*%# the uninformed consumer.

The one positive point about those c*ck s%ckers at Collectors, is that their selection is above average, so go there to look, but buy elsewhere.

. . . just my humble opinion.
[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I recall a few members referring to a AR rifle dealer in the north Houston area.
I think it was up near Spring or Conroe.

Any help appreciated.

THX

It's not North, but Collectors Firearms at Richnond and Fondren has a nice selection of AR rifles 713-781-1960. Ask for Chris, he's their rifle guy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In Houston, at lease on the SW side, there are several decent shops (e.g. Fountain Firearms, Ammo Dump, and Pace's Guns); but, stay the hell away from Collector's Firearms on Richmond @ Fondren.  Their weapons and other items are so overpriced that one cannot help but feel violated when making a purchase.  It is almost criminal how those guys try to f*%# the uninformed consumer.

The one positive point about those c*ck s%ckers at Collectors, is that their selection is above average, so go there to look, but buy elsewhere.

. . . just my humble opinion.
[-!-!-]

I have never paid what they were marked at collectors, ask your salesman if that's the best he can do.... Bet they go to a heavyset guy named Jerry and come back cheaper. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Doctorfireant, yes, his show was canned sometime last week.  Sure wish I knew what happened.  I keep checking Pruett's shop's website, hoping he'll post something.  They probably have a gag-order or something similar in effect.  When "Stevens" left the show I don't think they ever mentioned him again.

Jim always seemed like a good guy, hate to see him lose his gig.

I remember hearing the promo's for his store last summer when it opened.
 I need to get by there sometime!

So the show is history?!?

I hardly listen to it anymore but I grew up listening to S&P.
 I had noticed Stevens was gone but had NO idea what happened to him??

No more Eddie "the Boner" Sanchez?
No more Loch Sebenhausen??
No more Uncle Waldo  ??

Too bad!  PC crap is everywhere!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#31]
STISteve,

I've tried to get those guys down on prices (by telling them what their competitors are asking)--with no luck.  They have lost more than a few sales from me, because they refused to budge. So, I just went elsewhere or went online.  But hell, for ever sale they lost on me they probably made it up on someone else--there is a sucker born everyday!

I have dealt with the "heavy-set-guy" and he is OK, its those other "chairborn rangers" I have a problem with.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I went by Jim Pruett's place and let me tell ya he may be a nice guy and all(the shop was very clean and organized),But NO real selection of ammo in .223 they had Wolf, and I think Winchester. I know ammo isnt a big $$$ maker but hey you can get a better choice at Walmart...and cheaper...I am all for buying from ind. owned shops, but you gotta have more selection..It is a GUN store. BTW this is the store that told me they didn't carry "frilly things" when I asked about a stock spare mag holder(got it from Bushmaster)for my AR.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I had to search a little but I found it.  I have not personally done business with them but have heard only good things.  I have emailed about prices and they are decent.
www.precisionarmory.com/

As far as Collectors Firearms goes, it is a good place to shop and check out guns but their prices are outrageous.  I have seen and been quoted above listed retail on more than one occassion.
Best bet, Gun Show, one this weekend in the Astor Hall, or find a small time dealer like I did, cost +10% on anything.
There is also suppose to be a guy up there that goes by Dan the AR Man, also in the Spring area too I think.
Good Luck.

CH
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#34]
A friend bought a Post ban Colt 16" A3 for $1200 from collectors.  The guy told him that the reason it is so expansive is because they no longer make Colts out of Hartford, Conn. so any Colts with Hartford, Conn markings will be a collectors' item.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I had to search a little but I found it.  I have not personally done business with them but have heard only good things.  I have emailed about prices and they are decent.
www.precisionarmory.com/

Best bet, Gun Show, one this weekend in the Astor Hall, or find a small time dealer like I did, cost +10% on anything.
There is also suppose to be a guy up there that goes by Dan the AR Man, also in the Spring area too I think.
Good Luck.
CH

THAT"S IT!! YOU WIN THE PRIZE! THX!

I knew I'd read about Precision here on AR15.com

I'll have to go check them out.

I'll defintely be at the Astrohall show.
I always go down there.
Usually window shop at the local retailers & buy at the big shows.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.precisionarmory.com/

Good Luck.
CH

THAT"S IT!! YOU WIN THE PRIZE! THX!

I knew I'd read about Precision here on AR15.com

I'll have to go check them out.

I'll defintely be at the Astrohall show.
I always go down there.
Usually window shop at the local retailers & buy at the big shows.

I've done a couple of deals with Precision Armory - the owner is Mike and he's a straight up guy.  He does mostly shows and wholesale, sometimes takes a few days to respond to phone or email but you can buy with confidence from him.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't think that just because a company makes more profit on a sale that they are f@#$ing the consumer.  I tend to make informed purchases and the prices that We paid (after waiting Awhile for our dealer to get them) for two .300 Ultra Mag Remingtons were only $30 less than the prices marked on the tags on the in stock guns at Collecter's.  Don't get me wrong they are overpriced but h#$% it costs money to stock guns.  Guns are expensive.  We used to have a guy that charged a flat $32 for rifles and $52 for pistols (pistols were higher because of UPS air freight) but I guess he didn't make enough money and couldn't stay in business.  Kimber pistols are now over $100 higher in our area now.  Are these guys screwing us now or were we just getting an extra good deal before?  I have not bought any guns from Carter's either but the Chris at the Treschwig location is very friendly and always remembers my wife and I when we go.  I am considering the purchase of a Weatherby for hunting and I don't think you'll beat Carter's prices on them by much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top