Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 3:55:38 PM EDT
one of my recently bought 30 rd mags will NOT click into place on my ar15.  it doesn't look any different fr the other 30 rd mag that fits & clicks fine into the gun.  what could be wrong?  should I make the hole on the side of the mag bigger?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Lock the bolt back and see if it fits then.
I've had a few that would not "lockup" with the bolt closed.
Guess it was the lips to high.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah that was the problem, thanks.  did those that didn't lockup w/the bolt closed present any feeding problems?

Quoted:
Lock the bolt back and see if it fits then.
I've had a few that would not "lockup" with the bolt closed.
Guess it was the lips to high.

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait, wait....

It could be that the mag has coil bind.  That is, with the mag loaded to full capacity, the spring may have no more travel.  As the mag is inserted, the top round needs to move downward a little... but if the spring has no more room left, the top rounds jams againt the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Likely the upper edge of the clip retaining slot is too low, requiring that the clip be pressed very hard up into the mag well to get it to engage.  If this is the case, you'll notice that the mag release requires a lot of pressure to release a full mag, and the problem is usually worse with a full mag:  the last round presses hard against the base of the bolt carrier.

Solution to this problem is relatively simple:  using a small file, raise file the upper edge of the retaining slot on the left hand side of the clip, about .050" at a time, until it slides into place.  You can use a dremel tool or die grinder with a small heatless stone and then dress it with a file.  I just clamp mine in my milling machine vise and use a very small end mill to adjust the slot.

good luck,

Shooter
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#8]
the mag fits fine w/the bolt open...  it is a COOPER mag, "USGI" they dealer told me.  it has 15 rounds in it, I don't fit them to capacity when storing them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the mag fits fine w/the bolt open...  it is a COOPER mag, "USGI" they dealer told me.  it has 15 rounds in it, I don't fit them to capacity when storing them.

That pretty well clinches it, its the upper edge of the mag retaining slot.  Correct as above.  If you don't want to dick with it, send to me with $$ for return shipping and I'll put it on the milling machine for you.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
oh so it's the little square hole on the side of the mag that needs filing?  specifically the "top" side?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top