Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2001 12:50:47 PM EDT
Is the Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty Rifle Any good? becaus that's what i want.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course it's good, it's a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine treats me right.

Barrel is a little heavy, I prefer the M4 profile now.

BTW - Bushmasters are 5.56, not .223

better change your name.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks and 223 and 556 is the same thing but 556 is the military one
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have this rifle and love it.  I think I paid around $750.  It's also easy to get parts for Bushmaster rifles I have found.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Heh, watch out...

There is a difference in the rounds, albeit minimal.  Someone else can explain it better than I, it has something to do with SAAMI specs vs. NATO specs...

Oh, and I've loved my Bushmasters  <--- You too will have an "s" someday!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
If its what you want go for it!
I have one and its the sweetest little sucker i ever owned
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
LUV MINE...
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh, watch out...

There is a difference in the rounds, albeit minimal. Someone else can explain it better than I, it has something to do with SAAMI specs vs. NATO specs...

Oh, and I've loved my Bushmasters <--- You too will have an "s" someday!

I dident know that
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep there is a difference in 5.56mm chambering and a .223 chambering.  Go to www.fulton-armory.com for a detailed explanation.  My Bushmaster shorty is great!  No problems and still shoots MOA after 2,000 rounds.
Renny
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't find it
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Here it is:
www.fulton-armory.com/556-vs-223-Chambers.htm

There is a difference between 223 and 5.56. That is why SAAMI sternly warns againt using 5.56 in a 223 chambered gun; it can be quite dangerous. Winchester's website also says not to do it. Just because you can fit a 5.56 round into a 223 chamber, does not mean it is seated properly and safe to fire. And it isn't just that NATO rds are hotter - there is actually a difference in the casing.

Oh, I almost forgot...
My BM shorty is a shear delight. I has never malfunctioned once. At all. Ever.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I can't find it

It isn't important.

Just don't ever, ever shoot Wolf or other steel cased ammo in your Bushy. I shot 500 rounds of Barnaul through my Bushmaster Shorty. I still wake up from the nightmares.

It cycled fine, but everytime I think about the steel cased ammo and bullet jackets contacting the barrel of my FAVORITE rifle, I get a little misty eyed.

Just say no to Russian ammo!
Brass only.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh, and if it jams with the factory 10 rounder don't worry, it's the mag not the rifle.
Use USGI mags.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the advice hg112 i realy want a Bushmaster Shorty now and NO to Russian Ammo. My Mosin Nagant dose fine and wait its Russian.
And our fine American Firearms cannot shoot dog crap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here it is:
www.fulton-armory.com/556-vs-223-Chambers.htm

There is a difference between 223 and 5.56. That is why SAAMI sternly warns againt using 5.56 in a 223 chambered gun; it can be quite dangerous. Winchester's website also says not to do it. Just because you can fit a 5.56 round into a 223 chamber, does not mean it is seated properly and safe to fire. And it isn't just that NATO rds are hotter - there is actually a difference in the casing.

Oh, I almost forgot...
My BM shorty is a shear delight. I has never malfunctioned once. At all. Ever.

Ok but can you fire a 223 out of 5.56 NATO Chamber?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If you don't know the difference, you should -
home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/miscelld.htm#5.56%20mm%20NATO

Q. Are the 5.56 mm NATO rounds (and M193 types) and the .223 Remington really the same round?

A. This is another of those "Well, er, ah umm--kinda" items. The cartridge cases themselves are substantially identical with the exception that military and/or NATO specification rounds (those marked with the NATO "cross in circle" mark) may have thicker cases and are thus able to withstand stretching better when fired in loose chambered military weapons (done for reliability purposes). Once again, the chamber dimensions are where the brown stuff impacts the rotating air dispersion device.

Commercial SAAMI specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat, a smaller diameter bullet seat, and less freebore than the military chamber. When military specification ammunition is fired in a SAAMI specification chamber chamber pressure can increase dramatically--sometimes up to 10,000 psi. While this should not cause any problems in modern well made rifles it should give one pause. Conversely, SAAMI specification commercial ammunition when fired in a military chamber gives significantly lower pressures and velocities. See the drawing below for the details.

It must also be noted that all 5.56 x 54 mm NATO ammunition (such as US M855) requires a 1:9" twist or faster rifling to stabilize the long 62 gr ball bullet and a 1:7" twist to stabilize the extremely long tracer variation.  The standard twist used for .223 Remington commercial chamberings is 1:12" or 1:14" neither of which will stabilize the NATO type ammunition. The NATO ball ammunition is easily identified by its green bullet tip.

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ommercial SAAMI specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat, a smaller diameter bullet seat, and less freebore than the military chamber. When military specification ammunition is fired in a SAAMI specification chamber chamber pressure can increase dramatically--sometimes up to 10,000 psi. While this should not cause any problems in modern well made rifles it should give one pause. Conversely, SAAMI specification commercial ammunition when fired in a military chamber gives significantly lower pressures and velocities. See the drawing below for the details.

Dose that mean you can fire a 223 out of a 5.56MM NATO Chamber?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Dose that mean you can fire a 223 out of a 5.56MM NATO Chamber?

YES
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#21]
WOW thanks Forest.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Can i see some pictures of the Shorty Rifle?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Bushmaster shorty with the AK brake on it (14.5" barrel) and I just shot a perfect qualification round with it. It get banged around a lot in the trunk of the car (even though it's in a case) and has been used effectively to convince someone to put down their weapon.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Can i see some pictures of the Shorty Rifle?

You have to say PLEASE.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#26]
fight4yourrights, what kind of finish do you have on that mag?
I like shiny things.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#27]
If your rifle is chambered for 5.56 MM, you can shoot both 5.56 and .223.
If your rifle is chambered for .223, shoot .223 only!  

The .223 case is slightly shorter, and the cartridge develops lower pressures.  You can really see and feel the difference when comparing the two side by side.

If you want to fire military surplus ammo, get a 5.56, because it is dangerous to shoot it in a barrel stamped .223 Rem.

That is the short of it.  The caliber numbers don't match either, so don't use the numbers as correlation.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I like shiny things.  

I took a "scrap" USGI 20 and spray painted it.  Standard chrome spray paint and a few coats of clear lacquer.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like shiny things.  

I took a "scrap" USGI 20 and spray painted it.  Standard chrome spray paint and a few coats of clear lacquer.

Oh, so it's a "pimp mag"
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like shiny things.  

Oh, so it's a "pimp mag"

Yep.  Something purty for the pictures.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope no one minds my asking a few extra questions. I'm a newbie to AR's...in fact, I swore I'd much rather choose something from 'precision German engineering'...at least till I came to this site and read for a couple of hours.

I'm also looking into getting a Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Type as my first one. Two questions have I. I'm wondering what the accuracy is for them, with the 16" barrel and all? Granted I'm not looking for sub-MOA out to infinity. I was hoping to mount an ACOG, and skill-willing, hit 'man sized' targets (and targets only!) up to 200 yards...300 max. Is this feasible?

Second question...plan to order this through a local gun shop. Is it possible to 'customize' the order? Like, if I'd like the M4 with a different compensator, is it possible to get that done by bushmaster before it's shipped, or do I have to order it/new barrel separate? Never ordered one before, so I'm not sure what the procedure is. Thanks for all the advice so far!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I hope no one minds my asking a few extra questions. I'm a newbie to AR's...in fact, I swore I'd much rather choose something from 'precision German engineering'...at least till I came to this site and read for a couple of hours.

I'm also looking into getting a Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Type as my first one. Two questions have I. I'm wondering what the accuracy is for them, with the 16" barrel and all? Granted I'm not looking for sub-MOA out to infinity. I was hoping to mount an ACOG, and skill-willing, hit 'man sized' targets (and targets only!) up to 200 yards...300 max. Is this feasible?

Second question...plan to order this through a local gun shop. Is it possible to 'customize' the order? Like, if I'd like the M4 with a different compensator, is it possible to get that done by bushmaster before it's shipped, or do I have to order it/new barrel separate? Never ordered one before, so I'm not sure what the procedure is. Thanks for all the advice so far!

I've shot popup man targets from 25 to 500 meters with my 16" carbine, my shorty AK.  Iron sights, Reflex II, and soon my 3X ACOG.  You won't have any problems with what you are discussing.

Bushmaster would do any brake they sell.  Your other choice would be have Gunsmoke www.ar15.tv configure the weapon for you.  They are a Bushmaster distributor, but also customize weapons.  Or, buy the gun and ship the upper to Kurts Kustoms for a muzzlebrake.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I love my AK brake Bushy too, but damn it hurts if you ever forget to put on yer ear protection!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

With the 16 barrel and decent ammo you should expect a minimum of 2moa accuracty capability (but are you 2moa capable???).  I've seen them go to 1moa capable.  So hits on Man sized targets at 500 Meters (that almost 550 yards) are easy (yep I've done it consistantly with my BM 14.5" M4/AK, GI clip on bipod, and cheap 4x scope shooting from the prone position).

Easiest way to get EXACTLY what you want is to order a complete lower from your dealer.

Then Call up Bushmaster and tell them how you want your upper built.  They will put on either of the 2 types of muzzle brakes they sell.

If you want MORE options then contact Gunsmoke (like F4YR recommended).  They will build your upper using Bushmaster barrels (and uppers if you want) at a lower cost. They offer even more muzzle brake options (their 4 slot brakes looks ALOT like an A2 FS but is legal to have on a post ban rifle).  The other nice thing about Gunsmoke is they will convert pre-ban barrel types to post ban status (say if you want to use the Lightweight 16" barrel or the 20" A2 profile).
www.ar15.tv

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I just bought a Bushmaster XM15 M4 Type 16" Post-Ban Carbine. I've only had a chance to do the 25-meter sight-in. Holy Headache Batman, that muzzle brake is BRUTAL! I'm looking to get a new Bushy barrel 16" M4 without a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I just bought a Bushmaster XM15 M4 Type 16" Post-Ban Carbine. I've only had a chance to do the 25-meter sight-in. Holy Headache Batman, that muzzle brake is BRUTAL! I'm looking to get a new Bushy barrel 16" M4 without a muzzle brake.

I'd recommend you head over to the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw and check out our Zeroing Options.  The Santose 50 yard zero works better than the military 25 meter zero
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'd recommend you head over to the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site [urul]communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite&naventryid=100 and check out our Zeroing Options.  The Santose 50 yard zero works better than the military 25 meter zero

I tried that but just get a blank page. I looked at the page that links to the targets but cliking the link for the targets just gives me a blank screen.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I tried that but just get a blank page. I looked at the page that links to the targets but cliking the link for the targets just gives me a blank screen.

MSN just messed things up.  You can link by clicking on the links on the bar - left side of screen

Here's the direct link communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

See what happens when the other manager takes a break and DOESN'T read the New Stuff column.<G>

MSN decicde to change the system software and now uses a text label instead of a number to ID all the documents.  This REALLY screwed up the website.

So for now go to:
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite

Click on Zeroing Methods.  A page will come up with a list of all the methods we have listed on the site (plus some useful info at the bottom).  Now look back to the left margin.  Under "Zeroing Methods" you will now see a list of those articles.  Click on the appropriate one, as the links on the index page are broken.

I have been fixing the links, but there are other problems as well (new page size limits) so if I fix some of the pages I will have to severly edit them (and make them useless).

Since the internal links are broken you have to <GASP> MANUALLY navigate to the targets.  Click on Documents in the left hand margin.  Now click on the folder marked Targets and download to your hearts content.  Remember most targets must be unzipped first (with WinZIP), and should be loaded into a graphics program (to be sure they are at 8.5x11" size).

Instructions can be found if you read the Introduction page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top